1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering Wheel on Gen 3 after dealer alignment

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by DogDaze, May 2, 2017.

1. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello All,

We recently had our 2011 Gen 3 liftback in for the 45k checkup. The car has been serviced regularly by the dealer where we purchased it new. The courtesy alignment quick check they always perform upfront has always been fine.. except this time.. where they told me it was off and that they suggested we needed to have the alignment done too.

The car has not hit anything since the 40k check up, so I questioned the urgency. (not to mention, cash is tight with some expensive Home Improvement projects etc.) So, I specifically declined the alignment on this visit. The service tech pushed, and said they'd call me after they had it in the shop the next day. (was a night drop)

So, they call me the next day, and tell me it needs to have the alignment done.. I declined stating that @45k, we plan to replace the original tires in the next 10k or so anyway and I would have it done then.

So we pick up the car and learn that they did the alignment anyway.. (despite that I specifically asked them not to touch it) I was NOT happy, but they 'comped' the charge.. of which we were most thankful..

BUT...

on the way home, it turns out that the steering wheel is now 2-3 degrees to the right of center.. (which drives me nuts) IF I held the wheel straight, it would drive the car left of center...

So, I call and talk to them.. explain that we specifically asked them not to touch the alignment.. they do it anyway (as it turns out for free) but we now have a crooked wheel... so, they agree to let us bring it back so they can have their Master Tech correct it for us.. so after another trip back to the dealership, we picked it up Friday night.. and my wife drove it home this time..

I get home and ask her how's the wheel? (I get that LOOK right??) Turns out that now it is now exactly 2-3 degrees left of center.. IF she holds the wheel straight, it will drive her off the road..

So, I called them back.. and they are still trying to figure out what they are going to do.. that was Friday and I expected to hear back on Monday.. but still waiting...

We have a 1992 Camry Wagon (137k) that has a straight wheel, a 95 Saturn (176k) with a straight wheel, and a 2012 PriusV (75k) with a straight wheel.. I don't understand why our Prii at 45k now has a wheel that is no longer straight.. ???

I did not expect to have this problem (certainly) at the dealership...
    My point is, it was straight when we bought it, it was straight when we took it in for the 45k check.. It's not straight now and this is unacceptable to us..

I've not seen any known issues with this on the Gen 3...
    From everything I've read, while not uncommon.. this is typically NOT Normal.. either the mechanic did not straighten the wheel when the alignment was performed.. or just never completed the job correctly to begin with but I am curious as to if anyone else has had this problem?

I haven't had this cooked wheel after an alignment issue in over 20 years.. but 20+ years ago when I took the car back, they graciously corrected it (the first time I took it back) I just never expected it from the dealership... Knowing this, it's doubtful that I'll ever have an alignment done at this dealership in the future.

I'm open to comments and/or suggestions.. & curious as to if this is a known issue on the Gen 3? Do I have to learn to accept it, or do I push them to correct it?

Thanks,

Attached Files:

bisco likes this.
  2. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    same thing here/
    I just got lucky when I switched to a different steering wheel that I was able to move it a couple toes to make it straight/
    maybe that might be the only solution for you/

DogDaze likes this.
  3. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Centering steering wheels has always been an issue for me after alignments over decades.

Some cars now have sensors on the steer column that one zeros, with a Tech Tool Scanner, that aid is a centered wheel. Prius I believe do not. Sometimes adding a piece of tape on the horn and also on the column with a centered line can help the tech. The centering is an artistic eye unless the car has an OEM mark or sensor.

If chamber caster toe is set correctly, centering the wheel is a toe adjustment that can be dome at home.
    Tie rod adjustment go one "flat" of the nut turn at a time, both sides to be brief in instruction.

If you can't DIY, you can experience the story the OP writes....multiple visits to the shop.

PS actually checking alignment more often can be a good thing. Suspension rubber settles, and "pot holes" can alter the specs. I would not dis-believe the dealer that an alignment was called for, yet they apparently had wax in their ears when you spoke with them.

Good luck.

tankyuong and DogDaze like this.
  4. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for your notes guys..
    I agree regarding the alignments, but the car has been handling good, and has hit nothing that I would suspect my be cause for alarm... (I thought just odd was all & willing to hold off till new tires)

I forgot to mention, not only did we take it in for the 45k, but also for the side airbag curtain recall... I questioned weather as to if they might be trying to 'add on' the tab while they had the chance..

I thought I was pretty explicit when I said No... We don't drive this car in the winter time, so no rust, corrosion and limited potholes to avoid.. (my V takes all the rough stuff)

XT1095 ?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what a hassle. if you feel like going back, i would demand it be corrected. but i would probably be too lazy to bother. i haven't even done the airbag yet.

DogDaze likes this.
  6. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I haven't had an alignment done my Prius yet, but when I did have it done on my Mazda 3 there was a spot on the printout specifically for how far off the steering was off center. But steering wheel centering is by eyeball. Maybe ask if you can center the steering wheel the way you like it when they do the "replacement" alignment?

Steering wheels off center absolutely bug the heck out of me too!

DogDaze likes this.
  7. Dyjital

Dyjital Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Seems to be a common thing. My 2010 is a few degrees clockwise. Drives me nuts but it tracks true. When I get an alignment I'll have it fixed or they will redo it.

8. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've had it back 3 times since they messed it up.... Each time, the same result only the opposite side.. first right, then left, repeat.. this last time, the service manager himself drove the car & told me it was correct and centered when it is clearly not.. he won't return my phone call and won't respond to my email.. they've moved it each time to various places but have yet to find the center.. (or even close to center). It drives me nuts!! IMG_20170501_064005127.jpg

XT1095 ?

bisco likes this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Probably one of those things you have to do yourself if you want it done right; dealer techs on the clock will find any excuse to avoid something taking that much attention to detail. I'll probably get around to mine one day.

Check T-SB-0391-08 for guidelines on how to correct and the (tiny!) amounts of tie-rod adjustment corresponding to how many degrees the wheel is off center.

Edit: That TSB refers to another one, ST003-01, that has the real details on tie rod adjustment for centering.

-Chap

#9 ChapmanF, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
    DogDaze likes this.
  10. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    well, funny.. the service manager did call me back today..
    apparently he has had some family health issues (seniors) that he's been dealing with and I understand that..

With the help/suggestions from others here regarding "perspective of what is straight"
    After talking a bit..
    he's gonna set this up with me to bring it back in again.. let me get in the car when it's up on the rack and put the wheel to where I think it is straight.. and they will continue from there.. then we will both take it back out and drive it.

now all I've got to do is figure out when I can take the time to go do that around my work schedule...
    that,
    and I've got to convince the wife that this seems to be worth another shot..
    it's her car... she's reluctant to let it go back.. but I'd really like for them to get it right for her..

I never (ever) envisioned it would/could be this difficult.. but I agree with the other comments above...

11. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Kenny was right.... apparently it's a matter of perception as to what is straight, and who is viewing it..

After my 5th trip, it appears they got it right this time.. they did exactly as Kenny said, they put tape across the top of the wheel and the column. He marked it, brought it back out and had me put it where I wanted it.. he took it back and completed the alignment.. and it's now where I asked them to put it.. (exactly how it was prior to them performing the declined alignment)

btw, apparently our (boating) dock neighbor had the same issue with the same dealer. They told her she needed an alignment.. she declined... the next time in for service, it checked out fine... (imagine that) I'll put a picture up later as to how they marked it.

kc410 and bisco like this.
  12. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My dealer messed up the steering wheel alignment on my Gen II when they did the intermediate shaft replacement. I had to take it back to have it redone by their "master tech". Unfortunately, that wasn't the only thing that got messed up on that visit, either!

DogDaze likes this.
  13. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We were told ours was done by the master tech each and every visit after the initial screw up when I specifically told them not to do the alignment.. part of me wanted to see what the check was the next time back in 5k miles later.. I'd have bet it was fine... But at this point I'll never know that.. they did comp this work.. but caused us a lot of pain.. going back 4 additional times was not what we envisioned..

Here is how they marked the wheel... You can see that at the stem, the difference is only the width of a sharpie.. I was surprised at how much that little bit translates to a crooked wheel.. but it certainly did.. the car just feels better this time..

XT1095 ?

14. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The wheel was previously to the left this time around.. IMG_20170619_064613922_HDR.jpg

XT1095 ?