1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering Wheel peeling

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dismack, May 5, 2017.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's a simple reason for all of this. It is called CHEAP, FAKE LEATHER. Toyota may call it SoftTex, IKEA might call it bonded leather, Apple might call it PU leather. I used to have a sofa that began to look exactly the same way after a year. Heat and contact will cause this synthetic material to peel over time. Best way to avoid this problem? Don't buy synthetic leather.

sorka, TheRedRocker and Starship16 like this.
  2. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Here in the UK we have consumer protection laws that cover false description. If the product is described as leather it has to be real leather. If it's not real leather then it has to be described as such. The only problem we have with some leathers is although they are real leather, the colouring is not always a dye, it's sometimes a coating on the surface which wears of or fades on contact with sweat etc. leaving a patchy coloured surface.

pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota does not advertise it as leather. The salesman probably said that because it is leather-like, as opposed to the cloth interior.

4. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Our UK brochure describes it as Nakano black leather or cool grey leather on the Excel (highest UK spec) model. There are no leather seat option available over here for other specs so I guess you would have to outsource them for the lower specs.

RCO likes this.
  5. orangebang

orangebang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Noticed this a month or two ago. My 2016 is less than 18 months old . Still under warranty . For the record, I have never gripped the steering wheel at this position . Who drives with any hand at 12 o'clock? Lol

I do live in Los Angeles where it gets extremely hot . This car is parked outside without shade .

Attached Files:

RCO likes this.
  6. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Gangstas

7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    SUNBURN! :cool:

8. Jeremy K. Ashley

Jeremy K. Ashley New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've just had my 2017 for a year and where I rest my arm on the steering wheel while driving is doing the same thing. Does anyone know if this is covered by warranty?

9. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My dealer replaced my steering wheel for me at no charge. 31,000 miles 30 months.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  10. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Mine still looks brand spanking new. Do you think there was a batch of defective wheels? Or maybe my constant use of the Heatshield helps? Do you think some guys might be subconsciously picking at the Softex?

Maybe all the chili on my hands is lubricating my steering wheel! Keeping it soft. :LOL: Love them chili dogs with onions...

11. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :ROFLMAO: if have thought it might have pickled it, or even charred it more likely!

Starship16 likes this.
  12. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    No, the wheel is still good. But for some odd reason my car has lost that new car smell. :D

IMG_0184.JPG

#92 Starship16, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    RCO and kithmo like this.
  13. Sherrie

Sherrie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, My steering wheel in my 2016 prius is peeling, it has about 22,000 miles on it. I bought it new, I do not pick at it subconsciously, it just is a defect. A obvious bubble in the wrap, and it peels off with use. Its ridiculous. I haven't went to dealer yet, but if it is not covered, I will never buy another Toyota.

14. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My questions has anyone had their Prius (or Prime...seems all the 2018 Primes have the Softex steering wheel) for a while, fair amount of driving and not had issues with the softex not peeling or blistering?

15. subsonicred

subsonicred Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm getting this too. 2016 with 13,000 miles on it. The steering wheel is bubbling/blistering up where my hands rest, though it's much worse on the left. I have an appointment for this and the wiring harness recall a week from Monday.

16. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    MY dealer said.... "Go fly a kite!!" :ROFLMAO:

Thats ok, I like my new silly-looking steering wheel cover.

IMG_1204.jpg

Ogo likes this.
  17. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    @Starship16 Seriously? Please tell me you're joking or being sarcastic lol

I mean it's one thing if it's 2-3 years and you got 50,000 miles on it but people who own the car for a few months, they need to do something about it. Me, honestly, I would rather have the plastic/rubber steering wheel that came with the 2016 Prius I had.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wonder could they do that for you? Or it sets an expensive precedent?

There's an eloquence to things that "are what they are". Faux leather, plastic wood inlay, fake "intake" grills on the outside, all this cr@p ticks me off. Grrrrh.

axle2152 likes this.
  19. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Should be the same steering wheel used in all Gen 4's just the various buttons on the wheel, I think there's a couple more on my Prime than what I had on the 2016 Two...I don't know why they would use anything different...Something to explore...however more than likely I'll end up going down the same path as others, thankfully mine hasn't started but I got a feeling mine will based on how I drive and grip the wheel.

Just irks me that they're not admitting any fault or defect in workmanship which is exactly what it is imo. So that's why I'm asking if anyone with a Softex steering wheel (4th generation Prius or Prius Prime) has not had problems and has enough behind the wheel time to determine if it is a problem with all or just some wrapped steering wheels.

Starship16 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Mine happened at month 32. The "blister" my steering wheel developed was in an area where I don't even touch the wheel. Very odd, so yes, I would say it's a defect.

My dealer said I would have to leave the car there for a couple days, and a Toyota rep would come out and determine if it's just the usual wear & tear, or something else. The blister is so small, that I just put on the wheel cover. (I bought two, to try out. The other one is solid black. Can return them anytime.) Some owners have gotten a whole new free steering wheel.

The white on the cover matches the plastic white on the wheel & center console. I like it. :D But it does make the wheel grip a little too thick.

#100 Starship16, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    axle2152 likes this.