1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering Wheel peeling

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dismack, May 5, 2017.

1. Ivyhill

Ivyhill New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just got it replaced under warranty. My newly purchased used 2016 now feels brand new!

Attached Files:

krmcg likes this.
  2. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    congratulations!

3. hassan310

hassan310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone. In my case its just starting to peel off. Is there any cure for this?
    Or at least I can stop it where it is. I always park my car under shade or use sunlight reflector on windscreen when parking in sun. IMG20190424114015.jpeg IMG20190424114006.jpeg

4. Ivyhill

Ivyhill New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    how long have you had it until you started noticing it? Also, if it's under 36,000 miles or 3 years old, Toyota should replace it under warranty, at least that was my luck.

5. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I do not think that there is any way to mitigate it. It occurred on my steering wheel at 12:00 where I had very little contact while driving. It started "peeling" about 18 months. IMO way too early to be heat or sun related.

6. hassan310

hassan310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately warranty period has expired. My vehicle is more than 3 years old now.

7. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Not sure what percentage of cars are affected.

Hope yours still looks like new.

Congrats to everyone who managed to get this defect corrected under warrantee!

krmcg likes this.
  8. TheRedRocker

TheRedRocker Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 1.5" crease at 9 o'clock, right where I rest my hand.
    2016 with 42,000 miles

9. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ask your dealer for a new one. Worst that they can say is no...

alanclarkeau likes this.
  10. TheRedRocker

TheRedRocker Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I will, thanks. Got to go in for wiring harness & parking brake recalls anyway.

krmcg likes this.
  11. TheRedRocker

TheRedRocker Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    excuse double-tap posting

12. Jared McAlister

Jared McAlister New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Had mine replaced under warranty at 17,500 miles and it started bubbling again at 40,000. No replacement offered. Worked my way up Toyota care and was meet with nothing but accusations of me harming it to just utter disrespect from a service manager. All over a steering wheel that is proven to be faulty. I don't wear rings and don't pick at my wheel. Will be looking for an aftermarket option and probably not buying Toyota again after being treated like this.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sad things:

1. They don't care.
    2. The competitors are the same.

kithmo and alanclarkeau like this.
  14. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    My 2nd gen 2009's real leather steering wheel is still perfect after 314K miles. Despite the updated technology, almost everything about the car has a cheaper feel to it vs our 2nd gen. Even underneath where the air dam covers are. On the 2ne gen, the plastid is thick and has a sort of rubbery durability while the air dam covers on our 4th gen are super thin and not very flexible. They will crack easily.

kithmo likes this.
  15. LoganNolag

LoganNolag Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this still an issue with the more recent cars or is it just the earlier 4th gens?

16. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I do hope they fixed this on the 2020 models, but I have a feeling getting a wheel cover is just good insurance.

17. Haji1987

Haji1987 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I got a replacement in Dec 2018 (~17k miles) and started having the same issue again Around January 2020 (~29k miles). It took me going to the dealer ship a few times to get a replacement offered.
    The first time it was replaced, it was under "goodwill assistance". I asked for a warranty replacement again and originally, i was felt like i was ignored and they just told it would automatically be denied because its been replaced once already - nothing checked or put into their computer system or even asking a supervisor or anything (i know, i should've been a bit more persistent).
    I went second time and was told that the warranty replacement got denied the first time and that's why they did a goodwill replacement, so it would most likely get denied again. Once again, nothing logged in their system, no supervisor was asked, basically nothing was done. They just sent me home and told me to call Toyota HQ and take it up with them.
    I went a third time once the peeling got even worse, but this time i was very persistent about getting this logged into my file on their system at the very least. Many miles and abut two months time had passed from my first visit. I didn't want them to eventually say "oh, you never brought it in, its not in the system. And now its too late." This time, they told me the system never really mentioned anything for a previous warranty repair but that there was a goodwill repair - I then asked if it technically has never been approved or denied for a warranty repair, then why couldn't they just submit the request for a warranty repair? The issue clearly is not normal wear and tear. A steering wheel isn't supposed to peel and be replaced every year or two. They said i needed to wait until the person that inspects warranty requests comes to the dealer, and that person only comes about once a month. Luckily they finally accepted my request and I will be taking it in this week to get replaced (end of April 2020, ~34k miles).

I am fairly confident that this will happen again if i don't put a steering wheel cover. Anyone have any good suggestions for a nice quality steering wheel cover? I don't like the big, bulky ones you normally find at an auto parts store. I would like it to match as close as possible or be as subtle as possible.

#137 Haji1987, Apr 29, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Can you get steering wheel from non pleather level? Or you don't want to go there?

19. Prius prime owner

Prius prime owner New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Blistering issue here as well. 2018 20000 miles. About 18 months old. Will have dealer look at next week.

20. pasoto1

pasoto1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I solved my problem by buying a 2019

kithmo, krmcg and Prius prime owner like this.