1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering Wheel peeling

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dismack, May 5, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Was there a change to the steering wheel in 2019? Also, this is not a problem with base level, with cloth seats, only level(s) with faux leather?

2. Prius prime owner

Prius prime owner New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    At first dealer did not want to cover said could be lotion or a ring that caused the peeling. LoL. Then I talked with the service manager he said he sent pictures for review and was told not covered. But would ask again. I left dealership and on car ride home got a call saying it would be covered under some type of goodwill warrenty

3. auguise

auguise Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    2017 touring. The top of my steering wheel is delaminating/deteriorating as well. [​IMG]

I’ve had delamination issues on some of the paneling on the exterior, the headlights, and the plastic wheel covers as well. The materials on this model seems poor

PrimeTime11 likes this.
  4. PrimeTime11

PrimeTime11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have a 2017 Prius Prime. It started doing this very thing about a year into owning the car. First it would ripple up and then flatten back out so I was like whatever it’s fine, then months later it started to peel.
    things to note:
    I do not pick at my wheel
    I do not wear lotion
    I do not wear rings
    I have soft hands
    my car is parked in a garage
    And it still peeled? Not really sure why, my last Prius didn’t have this issue. Seems like a defect

5. mjustice

mjustice Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have a 2018 Prius Touring Four with 96,000+ miles. This delimitation just started two weeks ago. I am going to send a photo to my not so local dealer (90 miles away) and see what they say.

Attached Files:

6. Jburner

Jburner Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Since this is a clear defect and mine is way out of warranty and clearly have the same issue, I’m wondering if anyone else has found a very slim fitting steering wheel cover vs having it completely recovered. I can’t stand having a cover on the wheel, but its even worse to have a steering wheel that’s coming apart. So much for Softex.

7. Simplebeing

Simplebeing Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My steering wheel looks like it has some sort of skin disease. I think it's because of using alcohol sanitizer and alcohol wipes. Started happening after corona started.

Attached Files:

8. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Its a highly known defect, Toyota knows it, customers know it, and it should be covered, it has NOTHING to do with BS claims of lotion, sanitizer or anything of that nature, not all wheels are doing it and that is why Toyota and dealers are pretending its the customer doing it.

Only suggestion if Toyota and dealers will not help is Wheelskins, thin, actual leather, and looks decent. Here is the Prius Shop section on them, but I'm not sure about ordering from them, haven't heard much good news about getting what you order from them.

Wheelskins Products - PriusChat Shop

#148 Hidyho, Aug 3, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2022