1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering wheel sun damage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hkmb, Oct 18, 2016.

1. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm about to, sadly, say goodbye to my Gen II Prius. I'll be selling it in a few weeks.

It's the model that was sold in Australia as the base Prius (there were only two trim levels here - the base and the i-Tech) - about the same as a Prius II or Prius III in the US.

I'm just getting it ready for sale, and there's one thing I'm not sure how to address.

The sun in Sydney is pretty brutal. (This is a fact to which my red-and-white stripey tummy will attest: the sunscreen ran when I was at the beach at the weekend.) So the top 1/5 of my steering wheel has faded. It's the basic foam-rubber steering wheel, not a leather one. It's gone pale grey, and it's kind of soft and almost crumbly.

I've found loads of stuff online about how to rescue a leather steering wheel, but nothing for this kind of wheel.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to restore it?

2. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry, I don't have any suggestions on how to restore it. The new buyer may not care, or they can put a cover on it.

Did you ever use a sunshield / Heatshield in your car?
    The Prius chat shop has a very nice one. You might consider using one in the future.

hkmb likes this.
  3. magnumrtawd

magnumrtawd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How about an after market steering wheel wrap.(cover)

hkmb likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here in the States, from a place like TLS Auto Recycling, an A-grade used steering wheel is about $60. Probably you've got similar sources there, if you wanted it to look nice and stock.

-Chap

hkmb likes this.
  5. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the suggestions. A replacement wheel is probably the best idea, as I do want it to look stock. The trouble is, most people here (myself included) don't bother with sunshades most of the time - battling the sun here is a fool's errand. I've tried sunshades on the inside, and an Uzbekistan flag on the outside, and neither really worked. Also, you get so much sun on the wheel when you're driving that a sunshade would only be a partial solution even if it did work.

So I suspect that any Gen II wheel I can get from a recycler will have been subjected to seven years of sun too.

Hmmm.

Thanks anyway, everyone.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I guess one driver's routine could involve a lot more time inside garages or parking structures than another's. The big recyclers here do tend to provide descriptions of the condition of the part ... if they're reputable and say it's in good or very good condition, it might surprise you.

-Chap

7. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll certainly have a check. Thanks!

8. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would install a wheelskinz steering wheel leather cover. That is the first
    Thing I install on any car i buy. Its the best. Looks awesome and feels so
    Comfotable you want believe it
    Forget stock on a g2 Prius that has a horrible steering wheel. Its like a cheese grater. All that white dust u see in the dashboard is skin from the cheese grater
    Steering wheel.

10. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But if I don't have a stock steering wheel grating my skin, what will I do for cheap parmesan?

I think you're right though. I've had a look at leather covers, and they do seem to look quite good.