1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering wheel won’t turn after accident

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by go_prius, Jan 15, 2018.

1. go_prius

go_prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello everyone, long time member, first time poster. This is my third Prius. My Current Prius is a Red 2013 package 3, with about 50k miles on it with the Michelin defender tires. The other night I was coming off the highway and I tried to slow down and instead of slowing down the traction control went off and sent me sliding into a center median area of large sharp rocks and eventually sliding into a curb. I’ve had troubles before in the ice and snow with this car, however this one was pretty bad. I am clueless as to what might actually be wrong with it.

I have added some photos and a video (link below) of the steering issue. all input is appricated.

Attached Files:

#1 go_prius, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  2. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That’s some pretty serious damage. Just as an observation is would guess there are some frame components interfering with the tie rod or steering linkage. I’m sure after it’s been towed to a repair facility, you get the BAD news. Best of luck and by all means, slow down a little next time.

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry to hear it, glad you are okay. i agree with bzzap, something is bent, tough to diagnose without putting it on a lift and examining everything. it doesn't sound good, have you contacted your insurance company? hopefully won't be too serious.
    you may want to consider a good snow tire in the future, and be careful of black ice, it's a killer.
    all the best!(y)

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You have a linkage problem. Time for a repair center to put your car back together! It could have been worse!