1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering wheel

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Wraiththe, Mar 10, 2022.

1. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So this happened... I do not know how, but it sucks. Is there a prius wheel wrap kit I can get to REPLACE the existing? I hate those aftermarket wheel covers. 2017 prius 4

steering wheel1.jpg steering wheel2.jpg

2. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Toyota should replace every one of those, happened to me, I was lucky to know service manager, he got Toyota to replace, Toyota doesn’t want to. Wheelskins would probably be the best choice. It’s actually pretty common, some got replaced, but not all.

3. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    it is 5 years old... doubt they will.
    @80K miles.... If only!

4. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just watched the install video. This is a great second option. I want to get the original material replaced.

5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <OFF-TOPIC> - but I'm wondering how Alcohol Hand Sanitiser affects synthetic steering wheels - but I think there have been some which were pre-COVID-19.

Steering wheels delaminating have been a problem well before PRIUS - I had MAZDA replace a 2½yr old one under warranty in the '90s.

I'm a pipe organist and pianist - Allen Organ Company sent a bulletin out early in COVID-19 "don't play the organ soon after using Hand Sanitiser" - apparently eats plastics.

Doug McC likes this.
  6. dmh1026

dmh1026 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Mine did that too. Got it replaced under warranty before I hit 36k

7. Fhore1

Fhore1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    My 2022 prius xle steering wheel is flaking at 34400 miles and 10 months old. I've seen the posts about hand sanitizer and lotion The flaking is in an area we're I don't rest my hands. I've taken the car to the dealer and will be waiting for a reply.

Attached Files:

8. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Just curious (trying to figure it out possible causes for this) do you use the heated steering wheel option? I’m assuming you don’t park in hot sun in Alaska. ;)

9. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  10. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Toyota has a problem with SofTex steering wheels with this design, its a manufacturing error which they will never acknowledge, got mine replaced but it was a hassle, Toyota refuses to claim there is a problem. The problem that anyone can see is that they allowed whoever manufactured the wheels to use too thin of a layer of SofTex and bad glue, knowing this in the early models, real leather should be the ONLY product used for the steering wheel period.

Toyota knows there is a problem with the wheel because on the Lexus version of the Prius, they use Leather-trimmed steering wheel even though they use NuLuxe (SofTex) seats.

2022_lexus_ux_steeringwheel.jpg

#10 Hidyho, Aug 27, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
  11. Fhore1

Fhore1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Hot sun in Alaska... hahah...but no I have a car port and work mostly evening shifts.
    I did use the wheel warmer last winter but there is not heat tape in that location. My thought is the use of the right side thumb well is stretching the Softex further up, past that, it's just poor materials.

Doug McC likes this.
  12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Softex seats are bad enough, now they have softex steering wheels. I would ask Toyota to cover it under a goodwill warranty, they should be able to afford such a cheap replacement, to keep a loyal customer happy.

13. wilburguy

wilburguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the same problem on my 2017 and it's driving me crazy and getting worse. What have you guys ended up doing about this?

IMG_9516.jpeg

14. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have not installed the kit yet... but really, I do not mind what is underneath. eventually it will peel off and outward until the area that is not used much. I may or may not install the kit... No idea if anyone else here has used it.