1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steps to take after oil overfilled?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kljash, Dec 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Kljash

Kljash Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello all, I recently had my oil changed somewhere I shouldn't have, but it was very convenient. Anyway after a day or two I had the red triangle, vcs, (!) on, I did a quick check to see if I could find anything obvious. I checked my oil level and it is about 3/4 of an inch past the second dot.Torque didn't pull any codes I cleared them and nothing has come back on. Do I need to do anything besides drain some of the oil? And would that much overfill cause the car to put up that error.

I'm sure this question has been answered before, but i'm not the best at searching this forum.

Thanks.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    3/4 of an inch on the dipstick is a lot of oil. You would need to drain it. Maybe that place put in 5 quarts when they only need 3.75 quarts

3. Kljash

Kljash Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm sure they did, anything else I should look at? Or just drain and refill with the proper amount.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You don't have to drain all of it, just drain a quart or so. A little more won't hurt. You can always refill it back in after checking the dipstick level afterwards.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Kljash

Kljash Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So you don't think anything was damaged after driving around for a couple days with an extra quart in it?

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you drain the oil and everything goes back to normal, then you'll be OK. You might have to reset the car (disconnect the 12v negative) for a few seconds to clear all the warning lights.

7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Check/Adjust the tire pressures with a reliable gauge.

If there is any unusual engine running issues now, or after adjusting the oil level, then maybe. It might be a good idea to bring it back to the place and have them adjust the oil level, if you believe they would be able to provide some sort of recourse for damaging it.

8. Kljash

Kljash Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just a quick update to anyone interested, they overfilled by about 1qt. Since I've cleared the codes no codes have popped back on, tires were inflated properly 12v was low but seems fine after a good drive. I also checked the inverter coolant tank there is barely any movement at all, but I assume codes would of popped back on if the pump was dead. Man I need to buy something that will actually pull codes next time.

Thanks everyone I am grateful for the people on here willing to help others. This is a great resource.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No movement in the inverter reservoir means dead pump that will eventually blow its fuse and leave you stranded. It will post all kinds of lights when that fuse blows.

You car holds 3.6 quarts with a new oil filter. You can bring the car anywhere but bring your exact oil in a bottle so they cant mess it up.

Jiffy Lube and Texaco lube show 5 quarts in there bible for the G2 so they overfilled it probably more than 1.5 quarts. It should be ok. Worst it can do is foul a plug or blow up a cop. I go to the jiffy down the street once in a while they always say the same thing to me your engine holds 5 quarts I always say that's great your putting in 3.6.

Go to Walmart buy a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 5-30 for $25 and then transfer 1.4 quarts to another bottle. Bring them that 3.6 jug. Take that empty jug home when done. Then after a few jugs you have enough oil for free change with the 1.6 harvest.

#9 edthefox5, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If there's no movement in the inverter reservoir, the pump is not working. You'll only get a code once the car the detects the inverter getting too hot. When that happens, you'll be left stranded, probably farther from home than you would like. But the good thing is, the car will be operable for a short distance once it cools again.

11. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Techstream FTW!, if you plan on pulling codes DIYing. Gazillions of threads about on PC.