stereo/bluetooth pooped out- 2012 V

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by jbsf, Dec 5, 2018.

1. jbsf

jbsf New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all-
    New here, joined in hopes of getting feedback on this problem. We have a 2012 V (i think a 3 level trim). A few months ago, the MultiFunction Display (MFD- the touchscreen/radio/cd player part of the stereo) started intermittently acting wonky: stereo would not turn on, or would but not all the modes worked, Bluetooth went in and out, apps not working. The problem got worse and worse to the point we paid $125 to have the mechanic look at it. I'm attaching their diagnosis here: basically we were told we could by a new unit from Toyota for $4000 (!!!), a refurbished unit from the dealer for $1100 (still !!!) and pay $250 in labor to install it. The refurbished unit has no guarantee it wont have the same problem, and only 90 day warranty.

I found a replacement unit for $50 on ebay (same exact model number, manufacture date only a month later than the original I pulled- pic attached) and a YouTube video explaining how to remove the unit (surprisingly easy to do), but the problem remains:
    - intermittent bluetooth (seems better in the mornings for some reason)
    - no apps (maps, etc)
    - intermittent stereo functions

What i realized when i pulled the original unit is there is this Harman extension box (pic attached) under the stereo that has something to do with the Bluetooth and Nav functions. I'm tempted to get one of these on eBay as well and see if that helps.

Anyone here have any experience/advice with replacing this unit?

My questions:
    - does it matter if the replacement i get from eBay is from a Prius or can it be from another model?
    i found one on ebay for $114, which looks the same as the one i pulled from our car, minus the 'Cofetel' code on the label
    - what about the software update the dealer wasnt able to complete? Is that something that can be done once i replace the unit?
    - anyone know how to get to the diagnostic mode without any special equipment?
    - in the meantime, is there any way to make call or listen to music using the USB port w an iPhone? Can't get that to work.

Our dealer said more and more they are seeing this gen3 model come in with defective MFDs - sad that Toyota is not being reliable in this was for a car that is only 6 years old. We love our car but we really like having the bluetooth to make calls and listen to music- the maps etc arent really needed. And we dont have XM so we dont care about that.

Thanks in advance!!!

Attached Files:

2. rjparker

rjparker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It would seem your original head unit is ok so I would certainly move to the ext box and importantly, I would check some basics like the system’s power and ground, often a culprit in intermittent issues. What you did not say is what works? Camera, steering wheel controls, settings?

If you find the problem I would reinstall the original head unit and probably get my maps back.

See the attached. One shows how to get to their basic diagnostics in the radio. These are from Toyota’s tech information system, which is often far better than youtube. You can subscribe for a weekend and probably find more specifics. Note - these file names are mine, not theirs.

jbsf likes this.
  3. rjparker

rjparker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Reading your diagnostic report, a key item was the antenna failure. There is an amplifier in the base of the antenna which is fed power by the radio. The antenna base provides am, fm, and xm along with mayday cellular if equipped. And its a known failure point, mine also went out, however I just lost XM intermittently. Yours could be impacting head unit power as well. Not a cheap fix but one I would do. Just happen to have a procedure:

Attached Files:

jbsf likes this.