1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stereo Change?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Onyx, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Onyx

Onyx New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have a 2007 Toyota Prius with a touch screen in it. It controls pretty much everything..

Heat
    CD Player
    Radio
    Everything like that..

However there is no bluetooth setting ir audio input jack. I'm wondering if it would be possible for me to take tge stereo i have in my Prius out and put a different one in, or would that mess up the touch screen controls at all..any insight would be nice!!

2. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The touchscreen is always needed for climate controls.

You have two options basically:
    1. Do a stealth install of a single DIN CD player below the existing CD player. See Stealth install an aftermarket stereo in Prius | PriusChat
    2. Or you can remove the existing CD player and install a double DIN CD player where the old one was. You'll need a mounting kit, wiring harness, 68 ohm resistor, and another kit if you want to wire in the controls from the steering wheel.

RCO likes this.
  3. Onyx

Onyx New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    There is a storage compartment underneath my current cd player, so would i still need a mounting bracket??

4. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a stealth installed CD player. No mounting bracket is required for most CD players. There are 2-3 screw holes on a metal mount inside the car that align with single DIN headunits. I just took my CD player to the hardware store and found screws with the right size threads. Obviously you loose the storage compartment if you go this route. What's nice is that you can close the cover and then the car looks stock to thieves.

RCO likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As another option, in my Gen 1 I had a small aftermarket adapter that plugged right into the back of the existing radio, and it had an aux input and also an iPod player. It integrated with the existing radio and could be controlled with the same buttons and touch screen. (The one I had pretended to be a mini-disc changer; songs on the iPod showed up as tracks on a disc, and you selected aux by choosing 'disc 5', if I remember right.)

The one I had was made by DICE Electronics, but there were at least two or three players in that same market.

-Chap

Kevin_Denver likes this.
  6. Onyx

Onyx New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

So you are saying that there is an adapter i could plug into the back of my factory CD reciever and it would allow an aux cord to be plugged in. Then once i select CD it would read my phone as a CD amd play my music?? If so i would LOVE a link to this thing!!