1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stereo Problems -Help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jimrod, Jul 31, 2008.

1. jimrod

jimrod New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Dear all, I am having a small nightmare replacing my JBL 6-cd changing stereo. The CD changing mechanism died and made grinding noises every time I started the car. I unmounted the unit and attempted to fix it but no joy.

Now I would like to replace the unit but I have been quoted 2000 euros (over $3000!) for a replacement from the Toyota dealer. I bought a 2004 standard stereo from ebay, but unfortunately the connectors did not mesh, and I now believe I will need a JBL stereo to ensure correct functionality. Is it possible to buy a kit to change the wiring harness so I can connect directly to the standard stereo? Is there somewhere apart from a toyota dealer that I can get a JBL stereo ?

Can somebody recommend an intelligent course of action that doesn't cost 3000 dollars? I'd just like to be able to play CDs while I'm motoring along.

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

2. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Q: What exactly do you mean by "a 2004 standard stereo"? Is it a Prius standard stereo for the 2004 base model?

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm pretty sure you can just replace the stereo for a nice aftermarket unit and bypass the factory garbage (will likely require wiring after the factory amplifier). Any decent stereo shop could do it for less than $500 (based on labor rates in California) including the installation labor. Or you can find a used systems out of a wrecked Prius for much cheaper than new. :)