1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stereo stops working

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Lamplight11, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Lamplight11

Lamplight11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello! I have a 2012 Toyota Prius. Two days ago while I was driving, the stereo volume out of nowhere faded out and turned off. The last couple days, when I turn on my car the volume works, but 30 seconds later it fades out and turns off. Speakers sound perfect when it is working. The screen looks good, nothing wrong with it. I think maybe something happened to the wiring? I can’t find anything on the internet that tells or shows me how to check that, see if somethings wrong and fix it. Has anyone else had this problem? I’ve had the car since 2013 and the stereo has worked perfectly since a couple days ago. Does anyone know what this could be and what to do? Thank you for your time!

2. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You might want to check the repair Manual or just find the under dash fuse block for the location of the radio fuse. A youtuber with a 2003 had the same issue, but had a hard time finding the blown radio fuse.

Or you can read this 3 year old thread for all the Dealer horror stories about the same issue.
    Audio Not Working Mystery - 2010 Prius | PriusChat

Good Luck and I hope it's only the fuse for you

3. Lamplight11

Lamplight11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you so much for getting back to me, I’ll do what you suggested!

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not as familiar with Gen3 as I am with Gen2, but is it possible the volume control buttons on your steering wheel are malfunctioning?

5. Lamplight11

Lamplight11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I checked the fuses and they were all good. I can check out the steering wheel buttons, but I tried those buttons and the one on the control panel to try and adjust the “volume” when it goes off. But it’s weird because it sounds like someone is turning the volume down, then completely off after 30 seconds to a minute of music playing.

6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Intermittent on / off failures are one of the hardest issue to troubleshoot. It may take a while to find the problem and I'd keep a diary of when and how it started and what you've done to try an fix it. ie: does it happen every time you use the audio system, when it started happening, etc...

Trying the easy stuff first is usually how a DIYer will tackle issues like yours.
    I'm just googling 2012 Prius audio issues If you want to look at what I'm going by.

Next easiest thing to try, since I really have no clue what is causing the issue, would be disconnect your negative 12 volt battery cable. Be aware when disconnecting the negative cable you will loose some of your personal settings.

You could also try disconnect the negative cable, pump the brakes and / or let the car sit a half hour disconnected. Than see if the issue continues after reattaching the negative cable.

7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is there any damage to any volume buttons or the knob? If I were in your situation I'd focus on those. Loosening them up/exercising them... There's also a function in some stereos that mutes when there is an incoming phone call or when the settings are changed...

Another option to consider is hang out in a car stereo store parking lot near where the installers work and when one of them has a spare minute ask them if they or their co-workers have ever had this problem and how they fixed it.

And if all else fails, it's a good excuse to upgrade your sound system...

vvillovv likes this.
  8. Lamplight11

Lamplight11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    okay I will look into all of those things. Thank you for taking the time to respond! That’s a good idea to keep a diary so I don’t repeat myself and then if the time comes to take my car in I’ll have that.

9. Lamplight11

Lamplight11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The knobs are all good. Nothing looks wrong from the outside at all. Screen is perfect, no damage to any knobs or any buttons. The audio fuses are fine. Yeah I might go ask someone at a store if they ever had this problem before. Thank you for responding to me! Much appreciated.

PriusCamper likes this.
  10. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I imagine the reason the dealers say a new unit is necessary in a lot of cases like yours (as seen in the priuschat thread I linked above) might be, in a lot of repair manuals, many times it's recommended that the technician replace the failing unit with a unit that is known to be a working unit (aka: a new one).

Sometimes, in the case/s of loose or bad connections in the wiring, simply removing the unit, unplugging and plugging each connection again can fix an issue like yours and many others besides.

I know it is a fairly large undertaking to tare apart the dash and remove the unit with all it's connections, but you'd most likely have to be willing to learn how to do that yourself, because most professionals would need to charge a hefty price to perform that kind of service.

11. Lamplight11

Lamplight11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had a diagnosis done. Something within the unit is bust, causing the volume to slowly go down. I ordered a new one off of eBay and will install it beginning of December! So fingers crossed.