1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stereo Upgrade A Go-Go

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Actual Mileage, Aug 10, 2006.

1. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Sep 5 2006, 06:08 PM) [snapback]314776[/snapback]</div>

2. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Chomping at the bit - yet petrified of my wife finding out how much time I am spending on pimping out my little econo car. I didn't give a darn about the Maxima, the S4 or the 325 I had before this. It never occurred to me to go to a BMW or Audi site and read about my car.

3. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The story so far - (sorry, I love this stuff)

Have assembled -

Xtant 202m Amp (2 x 50) and Diamond D362i 6.5" 2-WAY
    for rear doors.
    Xtant 3300C and Diamond S600s Hex 6.5" Components
    for front doors.
    Diamond D610 D2 10" Sub.
    Integrated Sirius kit from Toyota.

THE INSTALLATION ISSUES -

1. Put the sub in a glass enclosure in the rear cubby or in the storage shelf area?
    I hate to give up the area of the cubby for long items (golf clubs, skis, belt fed machine guns, etc.)
    How can one tune that sub?
    2. Stage everything in afore mentioned storage area? How do we control heat?
    3. Sound proof just front doors and behind the rear coaxes? Or everything? What about the hatch area? Should that be dampened?

Any and all input will be appreciated and most likely integrated.

4. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Sep 21 2006, 01:55 PM) [snapback]322923[/snapback]</div>
    An admirable collection of goodies, indeed!
    Eventually, the wife will find out what you're up to......you know that right?
    Just make sure you have a well prepared justification scripted.

Now that you will truly have 5 channels of amplification, it might be a good idea to get some kind
    of separate level control for the channel driving the sub. You'll be able to use your fader to fade from front to rear to get the right mix between the front & rear doors, but unless you want to fuss with the gain control on the 3300c (which ain't easy because it's under that stainless shroud) you will want some kind of "knob" for the sub level. There's lots of ways to do this.....you can get something dedicated for the task (like the PAC LC1) or you can get something with this functionality built in (like an equalizer). I used to have an Alpine 3331 eq that I loved....it had a front to rear fader, separate sub level slider, selectable cross-over point for the cut-off frequench between highs & lows, and eleven bands of equalization sliders. One would fit nicely in that pocket under the factory head unit (can you tell I've been considering it?) Any way, I take you for a guy who will want to tinker with the sound to get it just right, so something like that might be just the thing.

Thing is that they don't make them any more (the 3331 that is). It seems that now-a-days most of the fancier aftermarket head units have built in eq functionality....that's great for them, but if you're stuck with your factory head unit (like we are) then it's not really an option. I have seen such things out there on ebay though....in fact I was tempted to buy one recently.

Okay, back to your system.......I'd put both amps in the storage compartment under the rear cargo area.
    Mine is in there and because it's fan cooled it doesn't even flinch...so heat's not a problem....plus it makes for a very clean & stealth install....out of sight out of mind...at least to thieves (you do have those in Maine, don't you?) I'd recommend doing the sound deadening like you mentioned....you can always add more if
    pesky rattles develop. Sub enclosure is up to you....mine is just in a plain-jane MDF box slid up behind the rear driver-side seat, under the tonneau cover. Your 10" is perfectly happy with as little as .63 cubic feet, which is exactly what I've seen others getting in the fiberglass enclosures over in the right rear corner (over the 12V battery/ behind the right rear wheel well). That preserves the use of the left rear cubby.
    You could get creative & do something integrating your amps & sub box with all the space that the current
    storage bin occupies....although it might interfear with access to the spare & tools.
    Tuning of the box shouldn't be a concern. Stick with a small sealed box for the best range of low end frequency response....I can tell you from experience that the guys at Diamond cringe if you mention using
    their subs in a vented/ tuned-port enclosure....although it can be done. In general, tuned boxes give really high output at their tuned frequency, but then almost nothing at any other frequency....i.e. a box that hits one low tone really hard. The woofer you've got and the volume of the sealed enclosure will dictate the frequency response, but you will be happy, trust me.

At the end of this, again I find myself apologizing for the novelette.

Regards,
    Matt

5. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Sep 21 2006, 09:46 PM) [snapback]323182[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks - I have been patiently collecting stuff. Got the 202 for 100 including shipping. It is used - so I am hoping it isn't junk.
    As to your second point - there is nothing to be done.
    The light at the end of the tunnel is a headlight on a locomotive.
    I will be summarily drawn, quartered and told I am very selfish and I should have spent the money on new shoes for the kids.
    That it is all true is beside the point. I need sound.
    So I am going with the "it is easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission" school of thought.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Sep 21 2006, 09:46 PM) [snapback]323182[/snapback]</div>
    JL Cleansweep?
    Rockford 3Sixty.2?
    You should apologize.
    Next time write more - go for the full novel.
    :rolleyes:

Terry

6. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Sep 22 2006, 10:05 AM) [snapback]323336[/snapback]</div>
    Either the 3Sixty.2 or the Cleansweep would do most of what you're looking for, but neither gives you
    easily accessible tweakibility (is that a word?)
    The 3sixty requires you use a Palm device to do the tweaking...great if you've already got one, I suppose.
    The 3Sixty.2 also has the built in crossover with separate outs for (and thus control over) the sub.
    The cleansweep doesn't have the crossover or separate sub-out signal, and it's equalization is automatic (i.e. not tweakable).
    I like the idea that these both take in the hi-level output from the factory head unit or amp and then smooth out the signal before sending it to your amps, but I guess I'm old school in that I like the instant gratification of moving a slider or twisting a knob and hearing the difference.
    If you're primary concern is getting rid of any factory equipment induced equalization, then these are both great.....neither are cheap though.
    Keep in mind that you already have electronic cross-overs in your amps, but they are the set it & forget it type.

7. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Finally have time to update what is happening with the little silver car that offends no one.

1. Massive sound dampening.
    I have installed Cascade Door Kits in all 4 doors.
    Each door got two sheets of VB-2 and a layer of Gasket Foam.
    I also installed a Cascade 7” Deflex Pad behind each speaker site.
    These pads are very cheap and very innovative. They fragment the speaker back wave trapped in the door and boost output while reducing distortion and break-up.
    Also - I went ahead and sound proofed the trunk with the Cascade Trunk Kit.
    This was a royal pain - 6 sheets of VMAX Damping and another Gasket Foam Sheet were stuffed in there.

It is much quieter - it is hard to tell without a side by side comparison.
    The stereo isn't done yet - so I have listened to tire noise and wind a lot the last few weeks.
    You still hear that stuff - it just sounds further removed.
    It is not like a bank vault.

I have no pictures of that process.

2. Speakers and wiring.

Guess what?
    The Diamond Hex Tweeters are 2 inches wide.
    That's double the factory tweets - no way they are fitting in the little sail area.

So - I put them in the kick panel - they pointed very nicely as well.
    I had to spray them gray to match the interior.
    I think they look cute.
    Hopefully nobody will kick them in.
    They'd have to kick very hard and have a very pointy shoes.

So no picking up hookers.

Attached Files:

8. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Oct 15 2006, 07:57 PM) [snapback]333170[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I was a little worried when I heard you went with the Hex's...although
    I think there's a way to separate the tweeter from its housing and pare it down a bit.
    I had to do some reconstructive surgery on my factory tweeter mounts and get creative
    with hot glue & mending plates to get my Diamoind D6 seres tweeters to go in.

Sound-wise it's good to not get your tweeter too far from your mid-bass driver, plus
    having the tweeters a little further from your ears helps offset the difference in distance
    from left vs. right tweeter and can get your driver's seat in a more center-balanced
    position.....only down-side might be bringing the front image down a little (spatially).

Did you get the rest of the gear installed?
    If so, how's it sound?

As I mentioned in the PM, I got my Three.1 in and will attach photo's below.

Regards,
    Matt

Attached Files:

9. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    These are going the way of the dodo.
    Cute little things, aren't they?

This site is making me nuts.

Everything is added to the previous post.

Attached Files:

10. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Oct 15 2006, 08:38 PM) [snapback]333184[/snapback]</div>
    You may want to hang on to those factory speakers.
    You can always put them back in if you ever trade-in or sell the car.......something I plan on doing with my
    Prius once it's out of warranty....so I can get that new '09 model everyone's ooing & ahhing over.
    Just chuck them in a box in the attic...that's what I did.
    Good news is that most of your system will be transferrable....save for the sound deadening.

11. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Oct 16 2006, 12:02 PM) [snapback]333427[/snapback]</div>
    Yes - I am holding on to them. I am just sorry I did not take any pictures along the way.

Nice placement on your AudioControl Three.1.
    It looks like that cubby was put there just for it.

As you know, I went with the ROCKFORD FOSGATE 3 Sixty.1
    So I don't have any buttons to play with. So I mounted mine
    behind the dash. The only thing sticking out is the line for the control
    knob - which I am using as a sub control.

Attached Files:

12. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Oct 16 2006, 01:42 PM) [snapback]333502[/snapback]</div>
    Is that the plug that will eventually plug into the back of some sort of knob?
    If so, you might consider running it over to one of those blank panel inserts behind the blinker handle.....
    they would accomodate a sub level knob nice & clean. I'm thinking of putting my radar detector mute button
    there and then hard-wiring the detector to the fuse box.

Have you tinkered with the 3Sixty.1's settings yet? Have to use a Palm PDA?

Cheers

13. Webini

Webini New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Oct 16 2006, 01:42 PM) [snapback]333502[/snapback]</div>
    Did you ever find a shop that would touch a Prius audio install? I'm in Maine as well (Portland area).

14. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Webini @ Oct 16 2006, 01:05 PM) [snapback]333524[/snapback]</div>
    Pine Tree Audio had no problems.
    Mike did a sweet job on the sub box.

15. Webini

Webini New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Oct 31 2006, 04:46 PM) [snapback]341558[/snapback]</div>
    Good to know, thanks!

16. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Webini @ Oct 31 2006, 05:55 PM) [snapback]341592[/snapback]</div>
    They were reasonably priced and do very nice work.
    Next time - I would buy the components through them as well.
    I had a anti-Rockford prejudice - but Rockford makes bullet proof, strong, very, very clean amplifiers.
    That would have made things a lot simpler - I brought in an eclectic mixture of stuff and getting it to play together has been a little bit of a nightmare.

17. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Nov 1 2006, 02:00 PM) [snapback]342065[/snapback]</div>
    Are your Xtant amps not behaving?
    I've worked with both Rockford & Xtant and can't think of any big differences that would
    make them work any different from eachother. A few more bells & whistles on the Xtant maybe.
    Line levels should be similar, and you should have plenty of adjustment points in your setup.
    Cheers

18. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Nov 1 2006, 02:20 PM) [snapback]342080[/snapback]</div>
    The noise filter was not getting along with the 3sixty.
    But then the 3sixty had to go back to the factory.
    So we will see when it comes back where the noise floor was coming from.

19. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Nov 1 2006, 03:04 PM) [snapback]342108[/snapback]</div>
    Are you referring to the built-in noise gate or the Balanced Line Module on the amp?
    I believe the noise gate has a threshold adjustment potentiometer and maybe even a defeat switch
    inside the amp.....if need be, you could switch it off or adjust its sensitivity.
    If it's on the BLM-1, it too has gains you can tweak. Just a thought.
    Cheers
    Matt

20. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Nov 1 2006, 05:21 PM) [snapback]342200[/snapback]</div>
    Too many variables.

There was not a BLM1 - and there was a constant floor of white noise.

After installing the 3sixty - there was also a lot of loop noise - and the Prius has a lot going on, electronically.
    Every time I cam to a stop, the system made some noise as the ICE stopped.
    When you power up, power down or open a door, there is a cartoon ray gun sound.
    The turn signals and wipers have their own special sounds.
    And the grounds on everything tested out.
    We sent back the 3sixty - but the answer may be the BLM1.
    We tried the noise gate on, off (not a chance - it was cacophanous) and everything in between.

I am waiting to hear what Rockford says - but I am more anxious to try the BLM1.
    Your description of it fits the bill exactly.
    My question (and no doubt my installer's question as well) is why would they sell the amp without something that is critical to the amp's operation? It is not an accessory if it wouldn't work without it.

Also - have you any experience or input on the LFQ45 - MAX Boost Module?