1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stereo upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by defrankond, Mar 1, 2016.

1. defrankond

defrankond Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have posted this a couple times and never get a response so I'll try this again. I have a 2010 package IV not 4 because it is a 2010 and only 2010 used uppercase roman numerals for model designation, with jbl non nav stereo. I have been having issues with the volume control not working so was looking into upgrading it to a a jbl with nav since I can get a good deal on the stereo and nav antenna. My question is will the existing wire harness support this and will a unit from a 2012-2013 fit a 2010?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe start at the dealer and see what the parts department says.

3. defrankond

defrankond Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Parts department said they didn't know but the entire wire harness they think would be needing replaced they quoted $2800 for a wire harness and another $3000 for the stereo. Typical stealership bs

bisco likes this.
  4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Even though you have a 2010 Prius IV without NAV, it's still the JBL unit. I can help provide you with the existing wiring diagrams. Don't waste your time putting in a Prius JBL NAV unit (any year)...they are junk...just like the radio you have. Go for an after-market HU...partial to Kenwood myself. Metra Online | Welcome to Metra Auto Parts Online Warehouse can help you with adapter harnesses to keep your interfaces if you don't want to scrap the whole amp/speaker system that already exists in your car.

Rebound likes this.
  5. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's just completely ridiculous.

I agree with going third party, because technology has improved a lot since 2010. You can get a unit with a better map, with better music features, more reliable Bluetooth, etc. There are car audio shops that can handle all of the installation for you, or you can do it yourself. You will probably have to run your own backup camera and Bluetooth microphone. The microphone is easy but the backup camera is a project, but it's do-able.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    stop in at a car audio shoppe and see what they have to say.

7. FinToy

FinToy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just upgraded my 2011 Prius with Pioneer 2DIN HU. Simple and easy, even the steering wheel controls work perfectly.

What I had to buy was a ready kit including wiring harness, antenna adapter and all the plastics needed to fit the new HU to the original place. Plus the new HU, of course. Total costs ~100 EUR (~110 USD) plus the new HU. It took less than hour to do the work.

I also installed the rear view camera at the same time so it caused a little bit more work. Uh, I also installed a DLS subwoofer with amplifier in the trunk so that also added some work. :D

Attached Files: