1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

STEREO WOW WE !

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mo04prius, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ Jul 17 2007, 02:44 PM) [snapback]480417[/snapback]</div>
    My Father has just been fitted with hearing aids in both ears. He had less than 45% hearing in both. Cost? 4,000. Insurance will not pay.

Why?

He failed to wear ear protection when doing things like...mowing the lawn, sawing wood, using the chipper/shredder.

It doesn't matter if it's music or machinery. If it's too loud, it is damaging.

Your right to listen to your music doesn't trump my right not to. You want to listen. Fine. But you are not entitled to share with those that don't want to listen. So find a way to dampen the sound so only your ears are damaged or turn it down or off.

Welcome to being a mature adult.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Seaside2007 @ Jul 26 2007, 12:03 PM) [snapback]485517[/snapback]</div>
    Which leg?

Sorry, but I shouldn't have to have my windows and doors rattle like an earthquake. I shouldn't have to feel their bass pounding in my chest.

And...it's illegal.

I will politely ask the offender to turn down the subwoofer.

If they don't, I report their license number to the city's noise abatement. I rarely have to do it twice.

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Stereos aren't the only offenders for noise pollution. Loud exhausts (or no exhausts) and ice cream trucks are some other offenders of noise. Would you report those too, or would you just grind your axe towards sound systems? I get disturbed more from Harleys riding by my home than booming sound systems.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Jul 26 2007, 06:14 PM) [snapback]485775[/snapback]</div>
    I regularly report the ice cream trucks that do NOT turn their music off when parked. That is a city ordinance. They get one polite request first. The next time, I take their license and report them.

I believe not having a muffler is also illegal.

Noise abatement in our city restricts music and machinery and other noise pollutants to between 8 am and 10 pm. Noise, including music and loud parties, should not be heard more than 100 feet away. It is a dense neighborhood. There is very little easement between buildings. I'm sure the laws are on the books to make living in such close quarters a little kinder for everyone. Car stereos that can be heard two blocks away violate noise abatement laws. I have no beef with those that install enough noise deadening insulation to make the sound outside the car unheard. I have a problem with being able to hear it three blocks away.

Again, I should not have to have my house shaken or my body pounded by loud music. No one has a RIGHT to do this to me. You want to crank it up and go deaf? By all means, install a jack and buy a pair of headphones.

4. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chuck_k @ Jul 10 2007, 05:43 AM) [snapback]476021[/snapback]</div>

Because my tax dollars end up being used for the support, medical care, rehabilitation, etc. of the folks that are this irresponsible to begin with. Sure it's a free country, but with freedom comes personal responsibility. So, is that person willing to take the responsibitly for their actions? Probably not. Because it's always someone else's fault. Right?
    It all has to do with personal maturity and responsibility. Oh, so lacking these days.

5. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Jul 26 2007, 07:14 PM) [snapback]485775[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you! I'd much rather hear a momentary BOOM---Boom---boom-- from a loud stereo than the absolutely horrible Harley exhaust. Out of all the [better and nicer] motorcycles why the hell would you get a FPOS that you can hear for blocks at ear piercing volumes! I've seen several dumbass Oregon Harley riders that wear earplugs when they ride. Hello!? Wth about the rest of us?

Sorry for taking this post way OT.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 26 2007, 07:42 PM) [snapback]485789[/snapback]</div>
    But rarely enforced.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 26 2007, 07:42 PM) [snapback]485789[/snapback]</div>
    It's illegal in most (all?) states to wear headphones whilst driving. It's CA Vehicle Code Section 27400.

6. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I can't stand loud music from cars. It's rude. It's even more rude when it's after midnight and a neighbor deems it appropriate to have friends over that have no consideration in this matter (yes, I have one of those). On the other hand, if it's only happening at a stop light, I just grit my teeth. If someone feels that it's appropriate to subject me to this continually, I'd say something.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oly_57mpg @ Jul 31 2007, 02:01 PM) [snapback]488215[/snapback]</div>
    "The California Vehicle code also has a few things to say about vehicular entertainment. Rather generously, section 27007 prohibits car stereo noise "which can be heard outside the vehicle 50 or more feet," roughly the length of 3 minivans."

I believe it's also illegal to have the music inside the car cranked up so loud you can't hear an ambulance, fire truck or police siren.

So it's Okay to break CVC 27007 but heaven forbid you break CVC 27400?

How many of these rolling boom boxes also have illegal tint?

8. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 31 2007, 05:14 PM) [snapback]488300[/snapback]</div>
    Absolutely not.

However, someone wearing headphones is just as dangerous, if not more so, as someone playing loud music. You'd actually be surprised how well you can hear sirens when in a 'boom boom' car. Since most is all bass and rarely any treble, the emergency sirens cut right thought it. Headphones drastically reduce the ability to hear sirens because you have the amplification source _right_ next to the ear. With a stereo, the music from the speakers and the siren mix.

Now, whether or not the dumbass behind the wheel notices the emergency vehicle or not is a separate issue. It'd probably be safer to break CVC 27007 than 27400 in my experience.

Around where I work in Oregon, the drivers are so oblivious/dumb that even without a loud stereo they don't usually see/hear emergency vehicles coming. Or at least they don't yield to them.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 31 2007, 05:14 PM) [snapback]488300[/snapback]</div>
    A vast majority of them. But loud music or not, tinting laws are stupid. Blah blah blah they save officers lives blah blah... BS. Even folks who don't have loud stereos get lower that legal tint limits put on. I'd much rather be [legally] allowed to put 15% around the car and in the event that I get pulled over I'll roll the windows down rather than having to break the %35 law around Washington and Oregon. The police in OR and WA are not subject to tinting laws of their vehicles so why should I?

Godiva - you'd love to hear this... Across the water from me in Redmond on Saturday, a man was left paralyzed after a loose stereo speaker struck him in the back of the head.
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/loca...aralyze01e.html
    Now, whether you hate the loud stereos or not, that's a pretty crappy thing to have happen.

Keep in mind, the OP was a competition stereo. There are a lot of competition stereos that you cannot even sit in the car whilst displaying. I think you should hit up the Spring Break Nationals in Daytona, FL some time if you really want to get steamed about something. ;)

9. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Jul 10 2007, 02:02 AM) [snapback]476016[/snapback]</div>
    I also prefer the music to have some power behind it, espcially in the bass, while listening at lower volumes. So, I typically listen to my music in the Prius (with JBL) at about 40-48 volume level, however I am responsible and respect others and I always have my music down to volume level 16 or less in neighborhoods... especially when the windows are rolled down or when the dog is in the car.