1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sticky Hatch Latch Fix

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by donzoh1, Jul 19, 2020.

1. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My Gen 2 project made it's way to the sticky latch problem. I knew the latch didn't work but wasn't aware this is a common issue. On disassembly, I found the black goo had completely saturated the switch and in addition, the prior owner had broken the switch, I'm guessing in frustration? I went to the self service junkyard, pulled a replacement switch from an '05, and wound up not paying anything. The lady asked for a dollar but I had only credit cards, and she then said I could just have it.

I injected dielectric silicone grease into the switch mechanism. Then I injected pure silicone caulk inside the rubber pad around the perimeter and replaced the pad, being careful not to get any into the switch, just to make sure the grease never makes its way out. My theory is that if the rubber pad degenerates, the grease will prevent the goo from sticking to anything. So far, it's just a theory.

Attached Files:

jerrymildred and SFO like this.
  2. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The latch found in the junkyard works well. I took pics of the old latch after taking it apart. With a light touch, I think this could be completely disassembled for cleaning, although I might make sure another can be found if something breaks. The broken tab in my old one is apparent.
    20200719_213230.jpg 20200719_213541.jpg

Raytheeagle likes this.