1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

STILL cannot turn off auto play music at startup

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by Hansen Wendlandt, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Hansen Wendlandt

Hansen Wendlandt New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've read through all the posts about this (none of the suggestions work on my car), looked all over the internet (no advice), searched through my manuals (nothing in there)...

Clearly other people deal with the annoyance of having various music come on, through your phone, when you start your car. And apparently there are solutions for older Prius and maybe Prime Advanced. What about a simple 'ol 2017 Prius Prime? I can't find anything in Settings, and my system seems to be updated. Ideas?

For what it's worth, I have an iPhone 6, but this issue doesn't happen on any other Bluetooth devices, only my Prius Prime.

atterbury90 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't really understand the problem you are having -- are you saying your phone starts playing music when you start your car? How is it connected? I may not be able to help because I have an Advanced, but I'm real curios as to what is going on...

My advanced has never done that. I only have my iphone connected via bluetooth and I always have another input selected and it always remembers what input I had selected last time I turned off my car.

3. That seems to be the key. Hansen may need to select a different (or no) input (e.g., no radio, no Bluetooth, USB, whatsoever), so that, when starting the car in the future, select Bluetooth to begin playing whatever is on his iPhone, but then, before turning the car off, select a different (or no) input again.

4. Hansen Wendlandt

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Let me try to clarify: When I start my car, something comes on the car speakers, either the radio (if that was on before, which makes sense), or from my phone (as it is connected via Bluetooth), either the podcast or music I was last listening to, or something rather random when I don't have a music/podcast app open. This is quite obnoxious. I've searched all over for an explanation and solution, and have found numerous threads here and comments elsewhere that complain about this, with responses that just are not available to me. For instance, apparently the settings feature for Advanced Primes have a switch to turn off 'auto play', and another thread points to a page on what must be an older navigation manual, and another thread talks about updating one's system; but I don't have an auto play toggle, and there is nothing in my navigation manual about this, and my system is updated.
    What I want, is to start the car without that triggering my phone to play, which should be simple, methinks.

5. Bump to request an update.
    So, is it just an iPhone problem? Any progress with not triggering music when starting the car or its Bluetooth?

6. Hansen Wendlandt

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, it's not a phone problem. It is a consistent problem with the car's program. I've seen several threads about this, but all of the suggested solutions are for different systems than my car.

7. zeepy_aviation

zeepy_aviation New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    From an Apple user, Toyota Prius Prime driver...
    I can confirm this is still a problem. It has something to do with the way Toyota sends the signal to an iPhone over bluetooth, or the way iOS automatically thinks anything listed as an audio speaker says turn on the latest music app. It is very frustrating. It is now 2018 and still they ignore such simple issues that would take a developer no more than 10 minutes to build a control in settings to fix. Irritating :unsure:

The one way I have worked around it is to have a playlist with a 'blank' song with a lot of silence for 20+ minutes. This is really a shocking hack in this day and age.

Montgomery likes this.
  8. iregret

iregret Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Push the power button on the lower right side before turning the car off.

Montgomery likes this.
  9. Perry Rosenfeld

Perry Rosenfeld New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Selecting a different input, i.e. NOT Bluetooth, you should be able to stop this from occurring, but I like the music to start right away... and here is what I found, which might help you... If I turn off Audio on the dash before shutting down the car, the Audio is OFF when I start the car. If I leave the Audio ON, then my Bluetooth Audio will start playing as soon as paired.

10. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    As a recent convert to the iPhone, I too found this annoying. Somewhere during the long hunt for a solution I ended up on an Apple iPhone help page. Which is where I finally read that this feature depends on the app playing. So it's not really your phone or your car.

In Pandora I found that by setting the autoplay to off it will sometimes stop this. But typically I have to "force close" the app. Especially if it's been a few days since I had powered down the phone.

Montgomery and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. atterbury90

atterbury90 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I'm having the same issue with Iphone 6s plus (I think). Drove me to distraction to where I erased all the music I had on it, anything to stop it. Never knew it was the car until now. Thanks, Andy

12. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have no idea about the specifics, but it sounds like when your phone establishes its Bluetooth connection with your Prime, that the phone connects in whatever mode it was in when its Bluetooth connection was last terminated. Whether this is initiated by the phone or by the Prime, I don't know. But I would not be surprised if it weren't the Prime just trying to pick up where it left off. (It does this with USB files and sometimes gets confused if I swap the USB flash drive while the Prime is powered off. This may have something to do with the Prime having built an index of the drive and suddenly finding that the index does not match the changed flash drive.)

Possibly it has something to do with the Prime wanting to force your phone into random or repeat play mode. It might be worth checking the settings on your phone and on the Prime's display:

iPod-contol.jpg

As I generally use my phone's Bluetooth connection only for making hands-free calls and not as a music player, I can't speak to what you mean by "auto-play toggle" or where that might be within the Prime's various menus. I have never seen such a thing.

If, from the Prime's display, you manually stop whatever media your phone is playing before you turn off your Prime, does the phone reconnect in stopped or paused mode next time you start your Prime?

13. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This link to the Toyota web site may explain what's going on:

Entune Premium JBL Audio With 11.6-In. HD Multimedia Display - Bluetooth/Streaming

bluetooth.jpg

It appears to be a feature, not a bug.

Montgomery and Salamander_King like this.
  14. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    On my PiP I had the problem that if I left the Bluetooth on my phone it would start playing random audio files from my phone as soon as the car was powered on. That got tricky when it started playing audio from a disciplinary meeting I had regarding an employee, and he was in the car with me when it started playing. After that I disabled Bluetooth on my phone and never looked back for the next 6 years.

Guy in WNY and Salamander_King like this.
  15. Zamo

Zamo New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm using android phone (Huawei) and I have the same problem. I've just changed my phone with a new model (from the same brand Huawei) but the problem still exist! So I'm sure that there is something wrong with car bluetooth connection which sends a wrong Music play command!

Changing the Audio source (from bluetooth to something else like FM radio) before turning car off, could solve the problem (obviously!) but it's not an ultimate solution!
    Definitely I can't change my audio source every time for short time stops before turning car off!!

Please someone help! Getting disappointed :(

16. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    No, it's not a bluetooth problem with the car's audio system. It's in your phone - don't believe me? Go find a friend who owns a Toyota. Link your phone and give it a shot. I've done it with several (more than I honestly can remember with people @ the dealership) and it'll do it on each one. I haven't seen one single instance where the vehicle's audio system was at fault.

17. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As @Old Bear posted in comment #13, it is a feature. In fact, it is not Toyota specific, nor phone model dependent. We have a Nissan, and I recently paired my old Windows phone paired to the car. The same phone is also paired to the Toyota Prime. When we had both cars turned on at the same time on our driveway, both of them started playing my audiobook which I was listening. For an audiobook playing, it always picks up where it was last stopped and continues on. I really like it. This feature works on my Android phone or my son's iPhone as well. Yes, I can see that it can be an annoyance in some situation. But overall it functions as it is designed to. If you don't like this feature, you just need to stop the Bluetooth audio before you exit the vehicle, then it will not play again when the car is turned on next time.

#17 Salamander_King, May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Montgomery and Bob Comer like this.
  18. Biosphere

Biosphere Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If I understand the problem the OP is facing, I too think its a feature and not a bug. Turn the Audio Power Button off before turning off the car. Next time you start the car, the audio will remain off.

SM-N960W ?

Montgomery and Salamander_King like this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Would I be right in thinking that's with sarcastic emphasis on the word "feature", lol?

20. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not to me, I like that feature. (Not sarcastic) It's about the only thing I like about our entertainment unit.