1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Still getting P3000 code after replacing bad module

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ewilkes, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Ewilkes

Ewilkes New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I am a little new to this, so please forgive my ignorance. My daughter has a 2007 Toyota Prius with about 172,000 miles on it. She got the red triangle along with the VSC, ABS, etc. warning lights. It threw a P3017, B1400 and B1421code. After digging into the code reader (Genesys EVO), it said that block seven was low (14.85V) as opposed to the other blocks reading anywhere from 16.19 to 16.23V. I removed the battery and after finding the faulty module (all the others were within .1-.2 V of each other, I replaced it with one I ordered from HV Hybrid Parts. All of the modules were within a .1-2V of each other. The reader also showed that the internal resistance on each module was at .019, so I took it for a test drive and everything seemed good for the first 5 miles of driving it on the interstate until the red triangle and other lights came on.

After I got it home, I disconnected the 12V battery for a couple of hours and then hooked it back up and the lights reset themselves. I drove it over the weekend and everything looked good (including increased gas mileage) for about 60 miles then the warning lights came back on and had a major loss in power. I disconnected the 12V battery again over night to reset the warning lights so I could get it back to work to check the codes again. The lights came back on after about 12 miles. The only code it has thrown since replacing the module is P3000 in the "hybrid vehicle ECU". It shows no codes when I check the "hybrid battery" option. We also drove it with the code reader plugged in to see what the voltage was showing. When climbing up a steep hill for a mile, the voltage between the 14 blocks never had more than a .5V variance. I never balanced the battery after replacing the module through charging and discharging as many have recommended, but I would have thought that this would have shown up by having a great than .5V variance between modules under a load. I am considering just purchasing a remanufactured battery, but want to make sure that is the problem. I would have thought that if it is, it would have thrown a code under the "hybrid battery" option on the code reader. Any suggestions?

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    DO NOT WASTE your money on a "remanufacture/rebuilt" HV Battery.

If your daughter needs a reliable car and you want your child to have a reliable car, go with a New OEM HV Battery.

If you enjoy swaping out moduels, and she doesn't mind breaking down, then stay the course.

Gen 2 modules are (2018 minus 2009, to 2018- minus 2004) 9-14 years old. Would you expect a used battery to give you the same dependability/longevity as a new battery?

Reference Post #70, for some Toyota Dealers who sell online; Prices have since dropped when I posted 11-14-2017. Red Triangle, P0a80 (2005 Gen 2, 110k miles) | Page 4 | PriusChat
    $1600 seems to be the lowest people have found. No dealer will ship the HV battery; besides it would be EXPENSIVE. If you decide to go new OEM, you will have to call and verify that the dealership will sell to you or your mechanic; some people have experienced dealers NOT selling the HV Battery to them. Also, it doesn't hurt to call your local Toyota dealership to see if they will price match an online dealership's HV Battery price. One person just a few days ago got his local Toyota dealership to match an online Dealer's price (Read Post #28: Laurel caynon causes my brake to smoke. | Page 2 | PriusChat). FYI, the new HV Battery will require some components (ECUs and other parts) to be transplanted from old battery into new battery.

2k1Toaster makes a nifty cylindrical NiMh replacement kit for $1600. NewPriusBatteries
    This might be a option for you if you can NOT get a local dealer to price match a cheaper online dealer, or heavily discount their asking price, or you don't want to pick-up.
    You can read about the cylindrical kit here:
    Prius Battery Replacement Kit (GenII/GenIII) with NEW custom cells | PriusChat
    Prius Battery Replacement (GenII) Like you've never seen - NEW Cylindrical Cells | PriusChat

But the HV Battery is worth more than the car?! Does she want to take out a loan for a new/used car? She could drop the comprehensive portion of auto insurance and just carry liability, as the car is most likley worth very little. Should you go new OEM HV Battery, you can always transplant this good HV Batt into another Gen2 w/ a bad batt, or a Gen3 (requires transplanting your good modules into the Gen3 HV Battery case).

A new HV Battery gives you some options.

#2 exstudent, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you use an inch-pound torque wrench to property torque the nuts for each module and the HV connections? What setting did you use?

SFO likes this.