1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Still liking the V but found a tough competitor (for my needs anyway)

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Rhizzlebop, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Rhizzlebop

Rhizzlebop Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As you all know, i've been lurking around here since Nov when I discovered the V. Still unable to pull the trigger because everytime I think I'm ready, my faithful trailblazer with no payment seems to run a tad bit smoother that day.

I'm all torn between my want for a new nicer car, and my lack of "need" for it.
    Purely, the 40+ mpg is nice, but it alone doesn't Justify a new car. I can buy a lot of gas for the 500 a month payment.

Nonetheless, I've driven a car last weekend that really impressed me.
    The Optima!
    I know its not a hatch, BUT.......
    I'll explain. I drove an EX with premium and tech package.
    Space wise, the front is VERY spacious and the rear seat is pretty roomy too.
    This one has leather, heated/cooled front seats, heated rear seats, heated steering wheel, 2 position memory driver seat, power front passenger seat, push button start, keyless system, driver door button unlock (with fob close by), power side mirrors, homelink with auto dim rearview mirror, premium nav with bluetooth, all voice command, rear camera, 2.4L 4 cylinder that gets up to 35 mpg (should avg 30), power sunroof over drivers seat, moonroof/panoramic glass over seat seat, and the trunk is quite cavernous.

This thing lists for 28K, and with heavy haggling and incentives I can get down around 24,500.

A V5 w/out ATP is gonna run 32K, and with heavy haggling and recent grad rebate I can hope to get down to about 28,500 I think.

Factor in this V doesn't have all the features this car has, while the V offsets some of that with the much better in town mpg, adjustable rear seats, and the hatch. The V has the entune system to subscribe to for a fee. The Optima has no subscription service to worry about.

The V has the advanced hybrid system that has proven thus far very reliable, BUT IF it breaks, very expensive.
    The Optima has a fairly common 2.4L 4 cyl thats a "world engine" and apparently also pretty reliable. (w 100K warranty), BUT with the "lesser known" Kia name on it.

I really like the V, so I'm not here bashing the car, but I'm very torn.
    Factor at 17,000 miles a year.
    40 mpg V vs 30 MPG Optima
    Factor gas at $3.75 (Running 3.50 here right now)

The V saves about 532 dollars a year in fuel.
    Look at the 4K difference in price and that takes 7.5 years to recoupe the difference.

In 7.5 years getting to breakeven, I could really enjoy those heated and cooled seats among other features. I'd look to keep it around 9 or 10 years, so beyond that we're only talking maybe 1000 to 1500 in net savings over 10 years.

The one factor I can't figure out how to account for is resale value. You have Toyotas hybrid, which seems very reliable, but where will the technology be in 10 years. Will we be on fuel cells, still hybrids, better bybrids, batteries stilll good then? Vs, the Kia, who has improved their image leaps and bounds over the last 10 years. Will they continue to improve and battle japanese brands more and more? Or will they waiver, and have their resale value fall off? will repair parts be plentiful for either?

Its a tough tough thing. Thoughts are welcome.

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You always lose when you buy a new car.

Engines nowadays last a very long time. Manufacturing tolerances have improved dramatically in the past 30 years, driven by emission requirements.

The V will win on resale. We see 2004-2005 GIIs selling for $10K still. The Kia might be worth $5K in 8 years, whereas the V will be worth $10K+, perhaps more if we are at $5+ gas.

1 person likes this.
  3. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Optima is not bad, but let's be serious: The Toyota WILL be more reliable, regardless of what the Kia's warranty has. Also its resale WILL be appreciably higher; resale on a Kia is not great. V has superior engineering from a superior brand.

The v's powertrain is really just a natural evolution of what Toyota has had in production for over a decade and has a strong track record of reliability. It also has a very long warranty, at least the hybrid component. You're right a major repair would be expensive on the small chance you need one.

BTW on fueleconomy.gov the better mileage comparison is 42 blended for the v and 28 for the optima. I also feel that if you're going to keep this 8+ years you may want to consider gas at a higher rate than you do now. If you're paying $3.50/gallon now do you really think the average over the next 8 years will be only $3.75? I'm not a peak-oil-is-here type guy, but I have seen where oil prices have gone over the last decade and the only thing that has stopped the charge is a recession. I expect the average over the next decade could quite easily be $.50-1 over where it is right now. Maybe even $1.50. A decade ago we were upset when it was moving toward $2, now it's a few cents short of $4.

If you do think you want a non-hybrid sedan I'd recommend you check out the Altima. I bought one last year and they were going for cheaper than the Optima. A touch less horsepower in the 4 cylinder version, but a more reliable car, with extremely high (near or at the top) of recommendation list from consumer reports.

That aside, this is a somewhat strange shop comparison. The v is larger inside, and certainly better on gas. The Optima will certainly have a better drive, however and be a good bit faster.

4. Rhizzlebop

Rhizzlebop Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Skoor, what do you mean by the Optima will certainly have a better drive? Do you mean ride quality?

I almost went right over to drive the V after leaving the Kia place to compare cabin noise and ride quality but I didn't have time to.

5. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you considered the Optima Hybrid?

6. Rhizzlebop

Rhizzlebop Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not really, because first off, the hybrid with the same features as the EX would list for 4500 more, and assuming I could haggle the same amount off, would run 4500 more. Factor in their being less available, would make the haggle more challenging so who knows.
    Secondly, I would be even more wary of a Kia hybrid than the regular engine.

Doesn't seem like a great idea.

7. Rhizzlebop

Rhizzlebop Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe I'm just too darn cheap to buy a new car! LOL or any car for that matter.
    I just can't get off the wallet. LOL

That Optima is sweet, I just do not know about its longterm quality and based on today, resale would be less. In 10 years, unsure.

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why in the world are you comparing an Optima to a Prius v? They are not even remotely in the same class. If anything you should compare the Optima to the Liftback. Your comparison simply defies logic.

9. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I agree. I was looking at the Optima as well as a few others and while all were nice cars you need to decided based on what your priorities are and what makes you happy. If you could just eat one, do you like the apples more or do you like oranges.

10. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Its good enough for Blake Griffin. Just dont try to dunking a basketball over it.:rockon:

11. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm there with ya Mac.

Just one more point if you'll let me. Some of us do not purchase the car for simple economic considerations. There is also the social implications to wasting fuel that many of us consider worth the extra price or downgrade in high HP fun factor so pervasive in our society.

For those of you who bought the Prius for whatever reason, I salute you.

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-h...ars-patriotic-vice-admiral-dennis-mcginn.html

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Best comparison is to the Camry and Camry hybrid. Check out KBB 5-Year Total Cost of Ownership.

Optima Ex with Tech Package: 51 cents per mile

Optima Ex Turbo with Tech Package: 53 cents per mile

Camry Hybrid LE or XLE: 49 cents per mile

Prius v Three: 52 cents per mile

Prius v Five: 55 cents per mile

Prius Two: 49 cents per mile

The reason anybody would want to buy Prius v over Camry hybrid is the interior space and cargo flexibility.

PS: For some reason, KBB thinks Prius would take more depreciation hit than Camry hybrid.

13. Rhizzlebop

Rhizzlebop Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is some very interesting data there from KBB.

All looks fairly good except I see no way the prius V depreciates 10K the first year. That seems very excessive.

As for the Optima, the depreciation looks about right.
    A standard model lists for around 23K, and after 5 years you'd be looking at maybe 9K (Theres your 14K down. )

However, the V, I see no way it loses 20K in 5 years.
    Lists for 30, and sell for 10k?

The Regular Prius' on the road now, 2007 models that sold for 25 are worth more than 5. Even more than 10K.

14. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Huh... Weird... Looking at the specifications for the Optima Hybrid... The car has a Lithium Polymer Battery... Yet its economy is about slightly less than a Prius v. To be honest, the Optima doesn't seem like it was built 'right' given it is a sedan and having a weaker Estimated MPG and less of everything else (spec wise) at only 2k less than the base Prius v model. While again, it is comparing apples and oranges, the standard Prius or Prius Plugin would probably be a better 'comparison' model for the Optima and even then, the MPG of those two are significantly better in long run than the Optima, which could account for the resale value of the Prius being significantly higher than the Optima.

15. Rhizzlebop

Rhizzlebop Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keiichi, thats the thing. Looking at that KBB data, it says the deprciation on the V is a lot more than the Optima which I find hard to believe.

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    All these TCO tables take wild stabs at depreciation costs of new model cars. Certainly the overall reliability of the Prius in general, and its electronics and traction battery was a surprise to the bean counters.

17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    KBB data seems to change abruptly. For example, Volt's cost of ownership was lower than the Leaf. They updated the numbers and Leaf is now lower.

I too think Prius v's depreciation numbers are too high. In reality, it should have the lowest cost of ownership in my comparison. If you plan to keep the car longer than 5 years, the depreciation wouldn't matter. KBB provides the breakdown so you can work out the numbers that applies to you.

18. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well, to be honest, I am no car person... I don't even know what they use to determine the cost of a car in the Kelly Blue Book. But when looking at the car... The Kia Optima is obviously a Sedan. After talking to people on here, the Prius and the Prius v cars have NiMH batteries, the currently 'decent' and reliable batteries that Toyota has been using for the last generation of cars and the Optima has a Lithium Polymer battery. Which, theorhetically, should have more power density than the NiMH (Also used in the Leaf, the Volt, Tesla and also the Fisker-Karma ev cars)

The Optima's electric motor, according to the site, suggests it is rated for 62 mph running speeds, however, its MPG EPA is 35/40 to the Toyota Prius, Gen 3's 51/48 and the Prius v' 44/40. I wonder why a car that should have a better battery power density, better electric motor is going to do as much mpg as a Prius v with a lower power density and weaker electric motor. The Prius v should also have more 'drag' than the Optima, but still, the city MPG is worse while the Highway is better for a hybrid? That seems a little sketchy.

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would stay away from Optima hybrid. It's sister Sonata hybrid had a lot of problem after the launch. I don't know how the situation for them now.

20. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would say so. I drove one of the current Sonatas (very similar to the Optima) and liked it, and it sure felt quicker than my Prius, which I imagine drives similarly to a v (which I've not driven). The Prius is not a "driver's car", from a performance perspective.