1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Still Misfiring After Cleaning IM - Please read

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by dirt657, Dec 1, 2018.

1. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It has been said by others that replacing the engine is a tad easier then a head job, though if you have limited space/tools for an engine swap and feel more comfortable using plastigage (or Toyota equivalent) then you may may want to go the head gasket route :whistle:

Whichever way you go, please be sure to take lots of pictures and notes for the rest of us to learn from :coffee:

Regarding your engine, a gen3 is a gen3, unless its a Prius 'C' then its a gen2 variation o_O

m.wynn, Raytheeagle and PriusCamper like this.
  2. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No, you just need the the intake valve to open toward the top of the exhaust stroke under EGR indicated engine loads. Based on engine load, the ecu will dictate how much to overlap the open intake and exhaust valves.

Whether dual VVT-i can improve EGR effect and why it wasn't used on the 1NZ-FXE are good questions.

mjoo and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. jack black

jack black Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    another question is why 2ZR-FXE doesn't have dual VVT, especially since the 2ZR-FE has one. I guess it's not needed because of the separate EGR circuit, but it's just my guess.

mjoo and m.wynn like this.
  4. dirt657

dirt657 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Talked to a buddy at toyota. He said because I caught it early that I should try using KSeal first as he's seen multiple priuses seal up nicely and never have an issue again. Fingers crossed.

Raytheeagle and SFO like this.
  5. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I did Blue Devil Pour and Go in April 18, and was putting a Gen 4 short block in my 2010 in July, so your experience may vary.

SFO likes this.
  6. dirt657

dirt657 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Used K-seal. Put 1800 miles on the car since I was here last. No misfire. No overheating. No coolant loss.

mjoo, SFO and Raytheeagle like this.