1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Still shopping, any input appreciated

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Echoezra, May 1, 2013.

1. Echoezra

Echoezra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So, when I started seriously thinking about trading in my car last year, i looked at a nicely loaded 2008 Camry Hybrid. i didnt test drive it, just sat in it and checked it out, I really liked it, very comfortable, but the trunk is pretty small for occasional things that i use my car for. Not long after that, a 2010 Honda Insight popped up around the same price range. I didnt like it as much, although the hatchback was better for my occasional needs, it just felt kinda cheap to me.
    So, since then i havent really been looking just keeping my eyes open on ads for a used prius, you dont see them often around here. Finally, there was a 2010 iv at my local dealer. By the time I had done the math and almost made up my mind, it had been sold.
    So then, there was a 2009. I figured must have been traded in on that 2010. Again I did my research, worked out the numbers, finally went to look at it and it had just sold.
    So...
    I'm at the point where some pretty big repairs are going to be coming up on my present car. I'd rather not have to struggle to come up with the money for them if I'm just going to be trading it in anyway.
    My dilemma is, it could be many months again before another used prius comes along. And when it does it may be out of my price range, since they saw these two sell so fast.
    So now I'm wondering how does the Camry Hybrid compare? There is another one looks almost just like the first one at a different dealer, and a little lower priced too. (Still not super low to make me jump at a step down)
    I know the fuel efficiency wont be nearly as good, but how is it really, in real life? And possibly even more importantly, how is it on maintenance and repairs? That was a big reason i wanted the prius. I'm thinking maybe Camry might be cheaper on repairs around here than the prius, since prius is so rare but the possibility of used normal Camry parts might be more common..?
    What are your thoughts as well on even older gen 2 prius, (like 2005, 2006) with higher mileage and at far away dealerships (almost all are km over or just under hybrid battery warranty range)

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Understand that I like my Prius v, and I very much liked my Gen 2 before that. However, no car is ideal for everyone, so here are my thoughts on who should not own a (Gen 2 biased) Prius.

considering a Prius | PriusChat

If these owners do not sound like you, go for it.

3. Echoezra

Echoezra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Go for which one though? ;)

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The 2004 and 2005 Prius used older electronics, 2006 to 2009 are nicer screens to look at.

By 2009 all the bugs were out of Gen 2, not that there were many even in 2004. I got 46 MPG with my 2009 Gen 2 over 100,000 miles.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What country are you in?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we have an 08 hycam, it's heads above the prius as far as comfort, power and quietness go. the trunk is an issue you have seen for yourself and the mpg's are about 70% of the prius.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we have an 08 hycam, it's heads above the prius as far as comfort, power and quietness go. the trunk is an issue you have seen for yourself and the mpg's are about 70% of the prius.

8. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How long does it take you to do research before you decide to buy something that's already sold? If you're taking more than a day, I think that's your problem here. Information about value and features are so readily available it shouldn't take long. If you're going away for a week to think about it, do research, etc, that's too long....

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've heard good things about 1st gen Camry (07 to 2011) from people I've talked, but Toyota improved everything in the 2nd gen Camry hybrid - more power 200 hp, bigger trunk (only 2 less cu ft than non hybrid, pretty decent), larger interior and 41 mpg combined in LE base model. I've rented 2013 Camry hybrid twice and when warmed up it clocks 43.x on the gage and pump results very good.

Like bisco said, Camry hybrid drives quite a bit better than Prius. Much more like a normal midsize sedan. Effortless freeway driving over hills where Prius engine lets you know it's working hard.

You might want to skip the 2nd gen Prius. It's ok if your under 6 ft tall, but IMO was horrible for taller drivers. 3rd gen Prius is a decent imporvement over 2nd gen, but the obtrusive center console is often panned, and for me, the steering wheel doesn't pull close enough for all that extra seat travel they put in over the 2nd gen car.

Don't know how much you drive, but you will likely spend less on a Civic or Corolla. Small hatchbacks bit tough to find, but Matrix is alright and Honda Fit was popular.

10. Echoezra

Echoezra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am in Canada.

11. Echoezra

Echoezra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Those are the pluses I noticed right away in reviews and stuff, and the comfort thing I'm sure I would get used to but really miss at first.
    What do you mean exactly by 70% of the prius?
    I've had a harder time finding reports of real life mpg (or Lper100km) for the Camry Hybrid than I did for the prius(es) Same with repair and maintenance stuff.

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First gen Camry hybrid (2007 - 2011) in US had MPG ratings around 34 MPG combined. They shaved 200 lbs off the 2012 model, improved HSD to get 41 combined in '12 LE model. I saw those numbers when renting on two occasions as gage was in 43 mpg range most of the time. Like any car or hybrid, shorter trips like 1, 5 or even 10 miles reduce fuel economy somewhat, especially 1 or 2 miles. I get best MPG on long trips like 25 miles on highway in decent weather.

Filling up Prius liftback after 450 miles means 9 gallons typically.
    filling Camry hybrid LE '12 after 450 is just under 11 gallons.

13. Echoezra

Echoezra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It takes as long as it takes. And if you must know, more of the researching was financial rather than physically will i like this car. And then there's the fact that I was first looking at a 2010. So I did my researching focused on the 2010 model. Then when that sold I had to go digging again on specifics for the 2009 model, now im starting over on the Camry too. Sure, it's really easy to find out about the good points of a car, they're written everywhere. I was searching for the bad too, and that can be harder to find specifics on. Is it likely to cost me as much for maintenance and constant repairs? Will this and that fail as early? How much do its tires/brakes/etc. cost and how long do they last?
    Sometimes I've had to read through pages and pages and pages to learn more about what I was questioning. That takes time.
    On top of this I was getting quotes from my dealer friend and then going through our financial stuff to see how manageable that payment increase would be and then matching it up against potential gas savings and repair savings and frankly I went out and picked up a couple little part time jobs to make up the gap and make sure the difference would be covered before I went to see it and fell in love. I just wanted to make sure I had all potential questions answered and could take a thoroughly intelligent look at the car before I even brought it up with my husband, much less walked in to start negotiating with a dealer.
    With a job (now a few) and kids and animals and other obligations and tasks, well yeah, that takes time. Takes me more than a day.
    Now in the future, I have a lot of the legwork done and shouldn't take as long to make a decision.

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was talking to my sister who owns a 2002 Camry. They are homeowners and use the pass through / fold down rear seats at time. Camry hybrid bascially loses and fold down seat option. One seat folds down, but the pass through is only about 10" square hole. Prius obviously much more flexible on cargo and that adds to its appeal. Prius is definitely not horrible to drive, but as said before, Camry is quieter, more powerful and the independent rear suspension makes it corner and handle bumps better. Prius doesn't have indy rear suspension, yet. Hopefully in 4th gen.

15. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Go to Fuelly.com and search for the cars you are interested in.

Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG

16. Echoezra

Echoezra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, new or even newer cars are out of the question i'm sure. I'll catch up to one of those 10 years from now maybe. Lol. I had a 78 volvo wagon in 97. Lol. Moved up to an 88 Lincoln town car in 99 - wow we jumped a whole Decade!! Thought we were pretty cool. The husband got a new van last year, that's our "new" car - I drive the older cars.
    And no hills here in Southern Ontario, so I guess that's a plus. The closest you see is if somebody has a slanted driveway. Lol.
    I am just over 5 feet so that's no problem for me, but my son just passed 6 feet.
    I drive quite a bit actually. Put on about 20,000 km last year. Will likely increase this year with these part time jobs and planning more regular road trips too.
    But I'm really not interested in just any old little crappy car that's good on gas. Family works at Chryslers, so the only way i'd get away with buying "foreign" is simply because chrysler wont make me a decent hybrid. I've been in love with the idea of a hybrid for SO many years. Its not just the gas numbers, its the whole idea, the engine is turning OFF. that's smart. you're using braking to recharge. That's just smart. Why waste if you dont have to? Why isnt every car doing this stuff?? When I started actually really looking into them and realized that they actually seem to be more reliable, well... Making even more sense.

17. Echoezra

Echoezra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, new or even newer cars are out of the question i'm sure. I'll catch up to one of those 10 years from now maybe. Lol. I had a 78 volvo wagon in 97. Lol. Moved up to an 88 Lincoln town car in 99 - wow we jumped a whole Decade!! Thought we were pretty cool. Been through a bunch of crap since then, really thinking we should have hung on to those old ones, they seemed to be built a lot better.
    The husband got a new van last year, that's our "new" car - I drive the older cars. That's the problem - I was always ok with that, but after problem after problem with my last few hand me downs I got fed up and spoiled myself last year with something pretty new, and fancy and big - and then realized that I didn't need the size. Didnt really need the new (things started needing repairs after a couple of months so what good did that recent year do me) but sadly I am in love with some of the fancy.
    And no hills here in Southern Ontario, so I guess that's a plus. The closest you see is if somebody has a slanted driveway. Lol.
    I am just over 5 feet so that's no problem for me, but my son just passed 6 feet.
    I drive quite a bit actually. Put on about 20,000 km last year. Will likely increase this year with these part time jobs and planning more regular road trips too.
    But I'm really not interested in just any old little crappy car that's good on gas. Family works at Chryslers, so the only way i'd get away with buying "foreign" is simply because chrysler wont make me a decent hybrid. I've been in love with the idea of a hybrid for SO many years. Its not just the gas numbers, its the whole idea, the engine is turning OFF. that's smart. you're using braking to recharge. That's just smart. Why waste if you dont have to? Why isnt every car doing this stuff?? When I started thinking about trading in my new car and actually really looking into the hybrids in detail and realized that they actually seem to be more reliable, well... Making even more sense.

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear you about how full hybrids like Prius work. It made sense to me to and was quite novel. But, being a performance enthusiast (see pic left), my desire for agile handling and better comfort kicked in, so I like things about 3rd gen Prius, other things not so much.

It takes quite a bit more sophisticated, expensive and larger drivetrain and hybrid battery to make it all happen. Hybrid Synergy Drive has gas engine, 2 motor generators, planetary gear sets, hybrid batter along with 12V battery, Inverter, high voltage cables running from battery to engine bay and mega brains to make it all work. That's why not all cars have it. Quite a bit more expensive to build and buy a Prius. With $25k, most consumers will opt for the 185 HP midsize sedan that's over 2 seconds quicker 0 to 60 MPH.

anyrate, it sounds like a 2006 like Prius might be a good fit. That should be the year where they made a 'mid cycle refresh' to the car with some tasty upgrades.

19. Echoezra

Echoezra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    10" square you say? Hmm.
    I was having trouble finding actual measurements. I had seen one in person and it looked pretty small. I mean at the time I was just thinking "that's big enough for a hockey stick" and that's usually all I really needed the length for. frankly i was kind of excited at the idea of being able to lock that stinky sports equipment away in an enclosed trunk rather than having the aroma permeate the entire vehicle, hahahaha - but, occasionally I cart around one of those canopy tents (I do a little face painting) and I was worried about how I'd manage that. I'm wondering now just how big that tent is around when its folded up... It might actually be smaller than 10".... If so, I don't know that I'd really really need a hatchback after all. More convenient yes, but not necessarily necessary.

20. Echoezra

Echoezra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just noticed you mentioned bumps. Hmm. I don't mind a bumpy ride, I'm used to it with all the crap I've driven over the years, but my husband has a really bad back injury now and bumps are not good. While we may have no hills here, there is an infinite number of bumps. Lol. Our driveway, the parking lot entrance at my work, the never ending road repairs on my husband's commute... I was just thinking the Camry seats in general would be nicer on his back, but that bump thing might actually make up a bit for the loss in fuel savings.