1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Still shopping, any input appreciated

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Echoezra, May 1, 2013.

1. Echoezra

Echoezra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, I've seen people mention that before but I guess I wasn't sure what it was - I just thought it was a phone app where people personally tracked their own mileage, I didn't realize it was a searchable site. Probably exactly what I'm looking for. Lol.

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I talked to a guy last weekend on jobsite who had a 2009 Camry hybrid. He really like it and claimed 38 MPG average. I think he was doing pretty long freeway trips to work. Camry hybrid trunk is somewhat narrower than regular Camry due to 12V battery on right side of trunk, plus the hybrid battery takes away a couple or so cu ft. space.

If Toyota can find a way to make Cam hybrid trunk like regular Camry and hold the cost, that should boost sales a lot.

3. Echoezra

Echoezra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it happened again. I decided on thursday that Camry was a good choice. Tried to look at it but salesman was off friday, i worked saturday, they were closed sunday. Went there to look at it this morning - already sold.
    Really starting to think the universe is trying to tell me something...

Now the only hybrids left in town in my price range is a 2010 Insight. (Or a 2009 Malibu.)

4. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    what is your price and mileage range if you dont mind me asking? Personally, I would stay away from the Malibu hybrid as the MPG gain isnt worth the extra complexity in that car, the only GM Hybrid i'd touch is a Volt.

5. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Buying a new vehicle is much easier than buying used, because if the dealer doesn't have the exact car you want, they can usually find within a short amount of time. However, with used cars you have to take them as they come along. If you decided the Camry was the choice, stick to it until another one comes along and then jump on it!

sdtundra likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my wife gets between 35-45 mpg depending on season and type of driving. i got between 45 and 65 mpg on my two gen II pri, hence the 70%, give or take. the camry is a larger heavier more powerful car. we only have 60,000 on the hycam and, of course, no problems whatsoever. the pass thru rear seat is a disappointment compared to regular camry. most we have put in there is a rolled up carpet. you can put the passenger seat down and get something like that upto the dash.

7. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  8. Echoezra

Echoezra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear you. I love the Volt. Hugely out if my price range though. lol.
    The Malibu does nothing for me, doesn't get great mpg, and I have no idea about their reliability.
    I'm being offered around 10 grand for my trade as it needs new tires and brakes.
    So as close to that as I can get really. I am taking a huge loss (like 10 grand) on what i still owe because i got a stupid service contract. I was aiming to max out under 17. Preferably under 15. The 09 Prius they had was 16500, the 08 camry (dif dealer) was about 15500, the prius and camrys ive seen in the past were all in the 18-20 range.
    the insight is about 14500. They have another that was 17, same year and km - I didn't understand that one.
    I'm not really concerned about mileage except that it affects warranty. I'd like to have enough kms left to be in warranty long enough to get past the getting to know you stage and notice if something is supposed to be doing that or if something is wrong, you know?

9. Echoezra

Echoezra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. That looks good. Great price. The one I looked at didn't have nav, but it had heated leather and sunroof. Honestly I prefer those the nav isn't that important to me.
    Problem is I don't have cash for this purchase, or any private owner sale - i need to finance.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Problem is that no single test or someone's "real life mpg" is equivalent to yours. Someone could have all short city w/lots of stop and go drives and a lot of it in cold weather vs. someone else who has long drives and is a hypermiler. They're both "real world" for both people.

See Top Ten Lists misconceptions tab #9
    What the above says about tests equally applies to random people's "real world" results.

CR has FE results for previous gen HyCam at Most fuel-efficient cars. Current one at The Most Fuel-Efficient Cars | Best Cars for Gas - Consumer Reports.

Last page of Internet Archive Wayback Machine describes their tests vs. the old (pre-model year 08) EPA tests.

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Echoezra ... skip the Insight hybrid. Mild hybrid only. The instant you remove foot off the brake, gas engine kicks on. Cannot move 2 inches on electric drive unless coasting to a stop. Selling poorly.

12. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can't you talk with the owner of the car, tell them you want the car if you like it. Go to your bank, take a loan out for the amount you and the owner agree to and get a check from the bank. Take owner the check, you now have a loan with your bank or credit union for that amount. Owner cashes check and gets his/her money and you pay the bank/CU

13. Echoezra

Echoezra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In theory, sure. In actuality, my income isn't big enough that banks just want to keep throwing multiple car loans at me. :(
    I figured one at a time might go over better.

14. Echoezra

Echoezra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah. I don't think I'll go that way anyway. I just don't like it enough. I thought mechanically that it was kind of in between the "mild hybrids" and the Prius, so I was trying to justify the hatchback advantage of the Prius with the still decent mpg as the Camry.. But it's still physically a step down to me from both. And on top of that I don't know if its as reliable as the Toyota hybrids too. I think it's just a no all around. Too bad though, the kms are really low and the price is not too much more than my trade.

15. Echoezra

Echoezra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh I know, I just like to kind of fish around for what seems to be average for people, and what seem to be low points (worst case scenario) and kind of run with those two, and use an avg of those as my probable base line.