1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

still torn.....

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by fgp, Feb 21, 2016.

1. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    folks im still torn between used low mileage pip and new eco. the payments are roughly the same (if i can lease the eco at $300 month)...BUT i keep hearing that a new pip will come next year. so...im kind of leaning on getting used pip and waiting for new pip and leasing it next year depending on pricing. need some input. what do you think

2. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't know all your circumstances, but unless you're having problems with your '12 (or have use for it elsewhere and need something to replace it), I'd exercise a little discipline and stay in it until the new PiP shows up. If you're cash-tight, that is far and away your best option. If cash isn't an issue, I don't see any great advantage to leasing unless you absolutely need to have a new vehicle and only want it for a few years because you're waiting for something else (we would have been in that boat if we had been dissatisfied with the Gen4).

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a little uncertainty about the new PiP2 I feel the market may be limited unless Ca. extends more green HOV stickers (which apparently may happen)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we've forgotten your parameters. fill us in please.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not stick with the 2012 until the PiP2 comes out? Or is the 2012 on a lease?

I'd take the used PiP. My reasoning is that if the PiP2 comes out and I like it, I can trade it in. If the PiP2 comes out and I don't like it, you can trade it in for the regular Prius Eco.

i.e., you redo the same situation you have now, but in the future.

fgp likes this.
  6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ What he said....

Financially speaking it's hard to beat buying used.
    Leasing almost never makes good financial sense, and the Pip is a proven, reliable platform.....and relatively inexpensive now.

Good Luck!
    Let us know what you decide....

7. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

If you already have a prius, keep it until the PIP2 comes out. That way, you don't have to take a loss on your current car and spend money on a PIP1, just to decide if you want an Eco Or a PIP2.

BTW, if you already have a prius gen 3, the PIP1 is not worth the money.

iPhone ?

8. MitchR

MitchR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fred, I'm in Nashville too and also considering a lease. I've always heard that leasing is a bad idea, but I like to make my own decisions. I've been reading that if you plan to drive the car less than 15,000 miles in a year and you want a new car in the next few years, leasing starts to make a lot of sense. I think when the leasing-is-bad rule of thumb was created, cars weren't changing as fast as they are now. I own a 2007 Honda Fit and the safety features alone seem from the dinosaur age. I'd love to buy a Prime, but don't live in a house with a garage so regular charging isn't going to be possible. However, in the next two or three years, we plan to have a garage. I am also not completely convinced that buying the first generation prime is a great idea. I think the software will be vastly improved in the next few years. And I think the size of the battery, which reduces cargo space, will decrease. So my current idea is to lease a Gen 4 for two or three years and then buy whatever new version of the PIP or full electric is available. Of course, I have lots of numbers to run also. My car is 10 years old and has almost exactly 100,000, so my average is right at 10,000. I'd love to hear what you ended up doing. Thanks.

RCO likes this.
  9. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    thanks for the nice post.... i now have a 2012 plug in prius which i think is great and see no reason for me to go to the prime. i also have a 2016 nissan leaf which i like very much but since im moving i need to get some one to take ove rhte lease through lease swap. payments for about 31 months are $268 and im going to pay $1000 cash incentive on top of that. i cant tell you how great the leaf handles. it also accelerate very quicly in regual tarffic. the only other car i may consider after i move is the new chey bolt. if you are interested in the leaf take a look on swap a lease. great buy with only 12oo miles on it. just cant use it where im going
    fred

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Leases are FANTASTIC....if you buy a vehicle that somebody else has leased.

If you're the one leasing the vehicle?
    It's virtually NEVER a good transaction.....ESPECIALLY on a vehicle that doesn't hold their value particularly well.
    Priuses DO......but not if you overpay for the first year models.

Good Luck!

RCO likes this.