1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Still trying to diagnose the cause of P0420.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by anthonylokrn, Oct 19, 2012.

1. anthonylokrn

anthonylokrn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I've been delaying on fixing my P0420 for a little over a year do to financial problems. With 150k logged, I didn't really want to throw a lot of money into it anymore.

Now I know the P0420 code means an inefficient catalytic converter, but I also know that it could be do to a bad/slow AF or O2 sensor. And if I were to replace the cat, it would probably be with a third-party direct fit one like Eastern or Walker; I live in Texas.

I took a video a while back with a SG2 logging the voltage of the sensors. I still could not solidly diagnose the cause of the P0420 code with the values from the SG2.

Please take a look at the video and respond back what you think is the problem.

Display:
    Topleft (B11) = AFR Sensor pre-cat (Range 0 to 7.999V)
    Topright (O12) = O2 Sensor post-cat (Range 0 to 0.9V)
    Bottomleft (AF1) = A/F Ratio (Range 0 to 1.999) (1.0 = stoichiometric balance)
    Bottomright (RPM) = RPM

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Anthony

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It looks to me that the catalytic converter is the problem since you can see the A/F ratio sensor voltage swinging back and forth, as it should. The post-cat oxygen sensor voltage should be more static - but since it also is swinging back and forth, that points to a failed cc.

[email protected] likes this.
  3. anthonylokrn

anthonylokrn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Patrick!

4. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Personally, if a new catalytic converter is under $200, I'd just get it fixed. With all the money you've saved on gas you've more than enough paid for a new cat.

I dont know where you live, but here in Michigan you can buy used catalytic converters from a salvage yard. Find a low mileage one for $75 and install that.

Or the least preferred method, you can just ignore it all together or find a P0420 "cheat". Ive seen them on the web where a resistor is placed in the rear O2 sensor plug that tricks the PCM into thinking the catalyst is working fine. Either way, some people get the P0420 and never get it fixed. (still I would - I hate a CEL on the dash and also hate rigging things). To me, 150,000 on a Prius is not yet to the point of not investing in repairs but its your car and you know it best. Maybe with your finances, a used cat would be an option?

5. anthonylokrn

anthonylokrn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's about $250 for a new direct fit catalytic converter, but it will still require cutting off the old one right before the resonator.

I'm in Houston, TX, and I guess I haven't really come across many salvaged prius around here. There were a few junked for part-out I occasionally came across on craigslist but they never replied back to a price quote.

6. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    3 words for you: car-part.com

Its a great site that will search the salvage yard database wherever you set it to search.
    For whatever reason, here in Michigan salvage Prius are EVERYWHERE. Our craigslist here in Metro Detroit is always chock full of salvage Prius being sold for parts, or just plain parts being sold individual.

7. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have the same issue. I looked around, and found that the CAT is probably dirty and cleaning it will rejuvinate it at least for a while. There are several commercial products, such as CATAClean. Some UTUBE video suggests putting a gallon of laquer thinner in the gas, which I am afraid may damage the bladder, or removing the CAT and soaking it in soap and water. If you were to look in the CAT, you would see that the honeycombs become dirty and clogged. The cleaning seems to help this. Other sites claim that the PO420 occurs way before the CAT is bad enough for the emissions to be out of compliance. One "cheat" method moves the O2 sensor back out of the exhaust flow, slowing the response, and therefore reducing the variation in the output signal when the self diagnostic for this test is run. This could work, but is a visible exhaust system mod. Another method is to replace the sensor with a resistor, which will provide a fixed voltage. If the voltage matches the nominal CAT voltage, this would work, since no variation in output could occur. Another approach that I came up with is that a large capacitor could be added across the sensor to slow its repsonse electrically, providing a similar result as moving the sensor out of the flow, but much easier to install putting it in the passenger compartment next to the computer. This should, unlike the resistor fix still allow the CEL to work if it becomes way out of spec.