1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Still worth buying one?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by yellowfrog, Feb 20, 2016.

1. yellowfrog

yellowfrog New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi

I'm debating getting a 1st gen Prius I've seen; 90,000 miles on it for £999. If its been well kept what sort of life can I expect? How is the availability of parts these days?

Thanks

2. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    £999? If in good condition with less than 150000 km, that seems like a decent deal.

If that had been available to me last year for that price, I might just have bought one to tide me over until the 2016 came out.

3. Nelsonprius

Nelsonprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Depends when or if the big battery stack has been replaced. I bought mine this week with a 1 month old rebuilt battery

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you can diy it, go for it. otherwise, it can get expensive

5. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Hi yellowfrog. These cars are rare in the UK and parts are getting expensive. But don't let that put you off. They are good and reliable if they've got a service history. I bought mine with 188k for £400.
    It had some issues but I fixed them. 1st expensive part was the front bushes for the lower suspension arms. £255 +vat each from the dealer as they are the only ones who import them.

And no I didn't buy them from the dealer. I got the bushes themselves imported and reused the arms.

Enjoy and go for it.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got my 02 for $400 and hauled it home from west texas behind my pickup. It hadn't been driven in 18 months, but with a jumper battery it started right up and I drove it up on the tow dolly. I replace the aux. battery, the brake booster pump/reservoir, & the inverter coolant pump. The booster pump is a $1000 part, but I found a good one in a parts breaker yard for $25. The car has 205k miles and is awesome I ran the Toyota service records and it got a new factory HV battery in Oct. 2013.

I've had it on a long trip, 4000 miles roundtrip, and it performed beautifully. Here in the American west, the electric hybrid drive helps with climbing long mountain grades and passing slow traffic out on the rural highways! Better than a turbocharger!

Mine got a new front bumper fascia and a $1500 Maico paint job (red metallic) so it's beautiful. I plan to keep it forever!

7. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Did you buy it?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.