1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stock Headunit+OEM iPod adapter + Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Frayadjacent, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hey guys, I recently dropped $12 to get one of these and hell if it doesn't work. I'm an Android user and the only Apple equipment I have is a very old solid state iPod that really doesn't like working in cold weather. Plus I hate iTunes and don't want to install that crap just to update music.

So I searched around a bit and found the above adapter. But it no worky. The phone sees it, pairs with it and thinks it's sending audio, but nothing comes out the stereo. The stereo doesn't complain about the device at all, but apparently it's not compatible. Doing a little reading around on Amazon, I found a few other similar devices, and in reading reviews I learned that not all iPod adapter connections are the same. Apparently older iPod devices used an analog signal for audio, and newer ones use a digital signal. These are no doubt on different pins of the 30 pin connector. (I have a degree in electronics engineering, so I'm reasonably sure I'm probably correct)

I've found a couple other adapters that basically do the same thing, but don't want to risk the coin on a more expensive unit if I can't be reasonably sure it will work properly.

Does anyone know of any that do in fact work? A2DP only would be fine, and AVRCP would be a bonus feature. I found one called Auris that looks pretty high-end. Has BT 4.0 (good forward compatibility, low energy use when future phone support it) and supports A2DP and something called aptX, which they denote is "superior quality sound". I think I read that it's some manner of codec for BlueTooth Audio.

Has anyone found anything that definitely works with the stock headunit and OEM iPod adapter?

2. Unleashd

Unleashd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    AFAIK, the Gen II's OEM head unit could never stream music via the BT interface. If you have an AUX in, you could use this to stream audio via BT to AUX. I use this successfully in one of my other cars.

billinmd likes this.
  3. billinmd

billinmd Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm about to add a Gen II to the family at the end of this month, and I was wondering how I would accomplish the bluetooth streaming that I use in the Gen III. Thanks for the link!

4. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Unleashed, I'm not talking about Toyota's OEM BluetTooth solution. I know that one is only for phone calls.

What I'm talking about is a little unit that you plug into the iPod adapter. The little unit has it's own BlueTooth radio that allows you to stream audio to it, which then plays through your stereo.

I don't really want to try anything else. No little cigarette lighter adapters with cables all over the place. I don't think with the iPod cable that I have an aux in anyway.

I moved the iPod cable from the glove box to the cubby below the head unit back when I first got the car. A little unit like I am talking about would go in there and just stay out of the way and practically hidden. I emailed the company that makes the Auris adapter to see if they knew if it would work or not, and they aren't sure. Went ahead and ordered one yesterday, so when I get it I'll be able to report whether or not it works. Costs $50, but it looks like a nice quality unit.

5. Pandalover

Pandalover Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got a similar iPod to Bluetooth adapter from eBay and I did not have much luck either.

There are two standards for the old iPod connector. The original standard uses analog audio and seems to work with theses cheap Bluetooth adapters. There is also a digital audio version on newer iPod docks and the prius.

I have been hunting for a digital audio version of these adapters for a while bit have not found anything yet.

You can get aux to Bluetooth adapters but theses are not powered so either need batteries or cigarette lighter.

I have an iPhone 5 so am in a similar position. I would love to go fully wireless.