1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stock Market Crashes after Dem's Election Victory

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to meet my broker, fire up my crack pipe, treat her to a nice big rock...and then -- if that wasn't enough -- we're going to intentionally engage in unsafe sex to celebrate the ascention of 'San Francisco Values.'

The scary thing about capitalism is that it's significantly stronger than the will of any political party, and will perpetuate itself regardless of whose stewardship it has been taken under.

So, not to worry...the exploitation of the natural world that we call '"our healthy economy" will likely go on unabated.

2. Shane

Shane New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Nov 8 2006, 02:13 PM) [snapback]345784[/snapback]</div>
    Wilkow... where did you go. Do you have a case of foot stuck in mouth? Sorry your attempted attack on Democrats didn't work... the DOW closed at a new record high.... :eek:

3. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Up OR down 20 points compared to a base of 12,000 isn't exactly a huge amount - I wouldn't read a lot into it. Something like 0.17%????

4. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow. Let's try to take this more seriously. :rolleyes: I'd say that he's pulling your leg but... c'mon guys, lighten-up.

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shane @ Nov 8 2006, 06:16 PM) [snapback]345877[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps it's my relentless optimism that's scaring 'em off...?

Uh oh.

I could write something like:

POWER TO THE POWER-ELITE

Would that help?
    [smile]

And, if things get *really* bad, I do have a dark side (which remains sublimated deeply); when released from its shackles, it does, on occasion, come out to play...
    [laughing]

6. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I can't bellieve I am quoting Fox news but here it is:

NEW YORK ? Wall Street rose for a third straight session Wednesday, with the Dow Jones industrials reaching another record close as investors grew more confident that a huge victory by Democrats in congressional elections would result in gridlock and keep lawmakers out of the way of business interests.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,228159,00.html

7. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I bought Toyota at 106 in Aprinl and now it is at 123. YIPPEEEE!!!!!

Do rational people still think what party gets elected affects the economy THAT much??????

8. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Nov 8 2006, 08:03 PM) [snapback]345933[/snapback]</div>
    No, I don't think so...after all, whether the 'pubs or the 'dems win, it's still the power-elite who'll remain in power.

I bought baskets-full of nearly worthless Ford at 6.29 about two months ago, and sold at (a slightly less worthless) 8.54 the week before last...not too bad...isn't that nearly a 25% gain?

So, based upon that, Ford is doing lots better than Toyota!!!
    [by now you've got to know that I'm joking]

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hey, Kow, I don't understand the title of this thread. There was a brief dip in the market on the 3rd. Not even the worst sort of pessimist would call that a crash. Even I was not concerned, and I've got substantial holdings. As of this writing, the S&P500 is about 4 points below the high it was at before the dip, and the DJIA is a hair above its position before the dip. Whatcha been smokin' man?

Back in May and July the market took a sickening drop (which is normal) but the dip on the 3rd was hardly a wiggle. Maybe you need to invest in a dictionary. :rolleyes:

10. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Nov 8 2006, 05:03 PM) [snapback]345933[/snapback]</div>
    Who accused the OP of being rational?

:lol:

11. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Nov 8 2006, 08:27 PM) [snapback]345944[/snapback]</div>
    teehee.

Come to think of it, the economy isn't known for its rational behaviour, either, is it...?

Maybe he knows something we don't...?
    [smiling]

12. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Nov 8 2006, 10:07 AM) [snapback]345617[/snapback]</div>
    The decline has been already setup for the past 6 years. Get the middle class up way over their head in real-estate debt, spend on a self-created war like there ain't no tomorrow, lie through your teeth about the real economic data, cancel M3 reporting and keep those money printing presses rolling baby.

I expect a major market decline and I know just who to thank for it.

13. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Begreen @ Nov 8 2006, 10:45 PM) [snapback]346043[/snapback]</div>
    This seat-of the pants investor agrees with you; why banks were allowed to lend so much money to folks who were at best, marginally qualified, remains a mystery to me.

In defense of the adjustable-rate-mortgage-enabled middle class, though...seems they were ripe for the picking.

"My house is worth a million dollars" is not a retirement strategy (as the billboards say).

14. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Nov 8 2006, 01:05 PM) [snapback]345772[/snapback]</div>
    And now it's down 80+ points. :rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grasshopper @ Nov 8 2006, 01:12 PM) [snapback]345783[/snapback]</div>
    LOL! :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Nov 8 2006, 01:13 PM) [snapback]345784[/snapback]</div>
    right back at ya!! [attachmentid=5644]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shane @ Nov 8 2006, 03:16 PM) [snapback]345877[/snapback]</div>
    and just as quickly, poof, it's gone! Sell some of those investments and go out and buy a sense of humor. :rolleyes:

p.s. You are saving for a rainy day right or are you depending on welfare? :eek: :rolleyes: :huh: :blink: ;) :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 8 2006, 05:26 PM) [snapback]345943[/snapback]</div>
    Dan, inhale, try some boxers instead of those "tighty whities" you're so fond of and follow the same advice I gave Shane. <_< ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Nov 8 2006, 05:27 PM) [snapback]345944[/snapback]</div>
    I have certainly never accused the Opposing Party of being rational. Many other things but never rational. :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Begreen @ Nov 8 2006, 07:45 PM) [snapback]346043[/snapback]</div>
    Well there you go this decline has been planned for 6 years because we all know how much Conservatives love to lose money!

Well there we have it folks not even two days and the dem's have ruined the market and the economy is on it's way to sub 10K. We're doomed! :(

Attached Files:

15. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    OH NOS!!!1!!111!!11!!eleven!!! Down 0.62%!!! EVEYBUDDY HED FOR DA HILLS!!!!!

The Good Guys don't even take office until January, so any crash right now would be because of the folks currently in office. Why do they want the stock market to tank? Which brings me back to that question that no one has ever answered: Why do Republicans hate America?

16. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Nov 9 2006, 03:06 PM) [snapback]346429[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I think it's not the Liberals vs. Conservatives, it's the power-elite vs. the rest of us.

Rich folks made tons of money in the depression; it's usually the empowered who can profit most during times of turmoil since they have the resources to ride out the hard times.

As Winston Churchill once said, "History will be kind to me...for I intend to write it myself."

The same holds true when it comes to investments and the power-elite.

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You're a strange one, Kow. Take a look at the DJIA chart over the last six months, and see how it constantly wiggles up and down. Now slide your eye over to the right: On a three-inch-tall chart (on your computer screen) where it was near the bottom of the chart 6 months ago, it's now down about an eighth of an inch from its highest point.

Item: That little dip is smaller than the hundred dips it's had in those six months: insignificant.

Item: The Democrats have not taken office yet, so any real stock market disaster now would not be the fault of the Democrats, it would be panic on the part of Republican investors.

Looks to me like you're the one who's got his knickers in a twist over this election. I'm just sitting here cashing my dividend checks. ... But then, I don't speculate on the market. I invest for the long term, so once I've bought a fund, I collect the dividends, and the market price has no effect on me.

18. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Nov 9 2006, 12:14 PM) [snapback]346449[/snapback]</div>
    LOL! :lol: LOL! :lol: LOL! :lol: LOL! :lol: LOL! :lol:! OH MY! OH MY! OH MY! That’s a good one! My dear Stev0, I have two dollars for every one dollar of yours if you will compare the Demoncrat/Liberal posts from this board mentioning America as compared to the Republicans/Conservatives posts. What do you say? Ready? Set, Go!

Wildkow

p.s. Ahhhh. . . I already have the windfall from this bet spent. It’s almost like winning the lottery. How sweet it is. [attachmentid=5645]

p.p.s. Anyone else want in on this? :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

19. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 9 2006, 03:33 PM) [snapback]346597[/snapback]</div>
    Ohhhh Geeeeezzzz. Damniel give it a rest, OK! You have got to be, by far, the most angry and tightly wound person I know.
    It's a joke son get a clue! <_<

Wildkow

p.s. I put that in red just for you! It has just got to be your favorite color. :) :D :lol: [attachmentid=5646]

Attached Files:

20. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A joke? Your history of vitriolic ranting against anything to the left of John Ashcroft makes it hard to tell when you couch a joke in an apparent rant.

However I thank you for the clarification.

And I'll agree with you that Republicans do not hate America. Both Democrats and Republicans love America for its limitless opportunities for graft, corruption, and the use of politics for the accumulation of personal wealth.

As for the anger, I think you're seeing a reflection of your own. I'm quite calm. My blood pressure is consistently on the low side. But my analyses of current affairs makes some conservatives see such red that they interpret the red in their own eyeballs as anger from me. Actually, when I do get angry (yes, it happens sometimes) I log off and listen to music and wait until I calm down before posting.