1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stock Tire Mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by EchoToPrius, Jun 13, 2015.

1. FLteacher

FLteacher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for your response. I'm curious why the 20's over the 422's. My other contender is the Michelin Defender. Any insight?

2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I know the EP20's are good. All indications thus far are that the 422 plus are better. Still too few reviews to form a solid recommendation but I'm going to give it a try when it comes time to replace my tires.

I am not interested in the defender at all as reviews seem to indicate they give up mpg for better handling. I have no issues with handling on EP20 and I'd rather increase fuel economy.

Vice versa, it seems the Michelin Energy Savers give up too much handling for fuel economy. Again, I haven't driven on any of these tires except stock. These are my impressions reading reviews online.

FLteacher likes this.
  3. FLteacher

FLteacher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you. I've been reading reviews, too, and I appreciate your insight.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I might well go with EP422, in our 215/45R17 size. But when shopping for 195/65R15, I've got EP20 a couple of times now, can't fault them. They're an OEM tire choice by Toyota, in some regions.

They're not special in any way, maybe not the best treadwear (but not bad), get a little noisy when worn, and can be a menace (when worn) in snow. But that's not much a factor for you I guess. :)

But they yield good mpg right from the outset, dispelling the "break-in period" nonsnsene, which I think is mostly urbane legend fostered by tire shops, to get rid of you. They feel solid/planted on the roads, no complaints.

FLteacher likes this.
  5. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tire design is all about compromises. Imagine two otherwise identical new tires, one with a slightly deeper tread than the other. The one with thicker tread is certain to have higher rolling resistance when new, and almost certain to have longer tread life. After some initial wear, it should have the same rolling resistance as the one that started out thinner. Which one is better overall?.

6. magnumrtawd

magnumrtawd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No toe prob. Under inflation causes even outside wear!