1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stole a high mileage prius from a pensioner

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by oil_burner, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The industry standard is to do BOTH a compression and leak down test.

At 10 years and 200K miles, there is going to be some wear.....and a qt every 4K miles is probably to be expected.
    Using a slightly heavier oil designed for "high mileage" engines might help some.
    Towing extra weight at high speeds often makes the oil usage worse.
    I would advise topping up whenever it gets down a half quart.

2. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually it's not. Fewer and fewer OEMs publish a compression pressure number, again due to there being many variables to control.

1qt in 4k miles is NOTHING to do anything about other than check your oil... which should be done routinely on EVERY vehicle.

3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Your opinion, which is not to be confused with a fact.

Anything reasonable (easy and cheap) that you can do to minimize the oil usage gives you more margin for error.

And that is a good thing, in my opinion.

4. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    yes I am pleasantly surprised. That included one 400 mile trip where I was driving around 75mph and had a lot of 80-85mph stretches to pass. I was towing the trailer and following a couple buddies in their truck who refused to slow down to wait, so most of that drive was extended WOT. The engine definitely had carbon buildup from 220k miles of elderly driving, previous owner never floored it once in 10 years and mostly drove around the city. It runs much smoother and stronger now than when i bought it.

5. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh Sammy..... you are soooo confused. Ever tired reading the manual? Porsche, VW, Toyota, Subaru and many others PUBLISH guidelines on oil consumption and when it becomes something to be investigated.

No, I am not going to waste my time looking the docs up for you. No two OEMs agree exactly on the "miles per quart" that triggers a concern, but not one I can find is OVER 3k/qt.

So, it's not MY opinion, but those of the OEMs.

6. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And you appear to be egotistical and gullible......but this "arguement" is pointless.

Those guidelines in the books are carefully crafted to eliminate or minimize the number if engine repairs that the manufacturer is obligated to make under warranty.

Done.

7. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    with 210,000 miles.. Drop the engine for Piston rings replacement . Well at that point rebuild it :).. Tranny is next!

8. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great advice.... NOT. (n)

I just love it when folks suggest OTHERS make repairs to their vehicles they would NEVER do themselves. Like swapping/rebuilding an engine that *barely* uses a quart of oil between PMs. To suggest such a thing is far worse than silly or ignorant.

William Redoubt likes this.
  9. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was very distressed to find out that my Prius, even though it is only a year old, is burning a gallon of gas every 50 miles or so. /sarcasm

Oil is a consumable. Unless it is excessive or due to a broken part it should be treated as normal, especially for an older car.

10. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    piston ring replacement? yea right. When this car no longer runs I'm selling it for parts and getting a prius V. I've already saved 1/3 of the cost in fuel I need to make this car's purchase price free.