1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stolen cat ... damaged ECU?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NiallS, Nov 27, 2020.

1. NiallS

NiallS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey all,

The cat from our 2005 Prius Gen 2 was recently stolen, and after our mechanic replaced it with a genuine Toyota exhaust the check engine light stayed on. They tried a second CO2 sensor which didn't fix things.

We just brought it to a Toyota dealer and they said the ECU was damaged when the exhaust was stolen and needs replacement. They are quoting $1,600 for the repair.

Does this diagnosis sound right? I can't find ay other reports of the ECU being damaged by catalytic theft. I'd also love to hear a POV on whether that dealer repair estimate is way off ... the part itself seems inexpensive.

Thanks all!

Niall

PS ECU codes are P0038 P0037

#1 NiallS, Nov 27, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    scottyj likes this.
  2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Theirs many engine control modules for a 2005 Prius on ebay all pretty cheap like $50 or less. Its behind the glove box probably not hard to install.
    I would suspect the wiring of the sensor itself because the thieves just chop the wiring harness. Did you ask the dealer about the integrity of that sensors wiring?

3. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

I have seen two Prius completely disabled from catalytic converter theft. The thieves tend to just rip out the O2 sensor wires. This can lead to blowing the fuse for the sensor heating circuit. When this happens the car will not start.

Your Prius seems to have a different issue. Did the repair garage use either OEM Toyota or Denso O2 sensors? Cheap aftermarket sensors would be suspect. That's why your repair shop tried a second sensor. The O2 sensor comes with a new wire harness to replace the one damaged by the theft.

Replacing the ECU is at the end of the trouble shooting chart after the wiring and relays have been checked. As edthefox5 said used ECU's are cheap. You could find one from a local junk yard using http://www.car-part.com .

To properly replace the ECU the dashboard has to be disassembled. This procedure is well documented as part of the common speedometer replacements. As a test it's possible to plug in a replacement ECU without removing the original. This can be done in minutes without tools.

PXL_20201128_004031487.jpg

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, it's POSSIBLE that the ends of the cut wires were shorted together. If/When you started the car then 12V could have been sent to the ecm driver and blown it (the drivers inside the ecm are NOT protected against overcurrent). IF the wiring was correctly repaired and the still codes set, then that would point to a damaged ecm.

I do not know what it would take to program a used ecm to your car. The labor guides give 1.4 hours to replace the ecm (that doesn't include any programming if required) . I have done one in a 09. It was annoying, but not horrible. The ecm is right behind the glovebox, but you have to dig down a bit to reach the brackets in back.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Stay away from the Toyota Stealership... A 15 year old car is not something you buy expensive brand new parts for and spend a fortune being overcharged for installation. Find a used ECU for less than $100 and a friends who's good with cars to help you.

6. NiallS

NiallS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey folks,

First off, thanks everyone for your initial responses in this thread. I had not resolved this fault since the theft, but have a little more time on my hands these days, and decided to tackle the diagnostics steps in the Toyota manual.

After dutifully following procedure, it seems there's a short between the power to the O2 sensor and the chassis. My Fluke is measuring 140ohms from H13-2 (+B) to the chassis whereas it should be >10Kohm.

Turning to the more educated and experienced members again for advice on how to proceed! I'm guessing the previous O2 sensor was tugged hard during the theft, thus fraying insulation somewhere further up in the harness. My plan, absent better advice, was to open more of the instrument panel to inspect the cable, and try and find intermediate points junction boxes to check the harness. Does this sound like I'm on the right track?

I need to test all of this again tomorrow with fresh eyes but I may be narrowing in on the problem ... though resolving it may get a lot tricker than plugging in a new ECU :-/

Niall

7. NiallS

NiallS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, now I am royally confused. If there was a short on the EFI M circuit, presumably there would be a whole lot of trouble, not just this one code. I've attached the procedure I'm working off ... will come back to this tomorrow after sleep!

Attached Files:

8. NiallS

NiallS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update: I disconnected the downstream oxygen sensor connector from the EFI M relay via connector IJ1, and confirmed there's continuity and no short in that segment of the harness (i.e., H13 pin 2 to IJ1 pin 4). I'm guessing the 140ohms to ground that I measured when it's all connected up is due to some other circuit downstream of the EFI M relay, and is not actually a fault. That seems to mean there's an error in the Toyota repair manual, so I'm not exactly confident in that either :)

Anyhoo. I've gone ahead and ordered a new ECM from All Computer Resources. Fingers crossed.

bisco likes this.
  9. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Have you checked all 3 fuses that feed power to the ECM? I don't remember which ones but they are in the wiring diagrams.

For testing, you can carefully unplug the old ECM (leave it in place) flip the connectors around and plug in the replacement ECM to see if that fixes it. Be sure to check the harness for shorts before connecting the new ECM.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you check to see if there's always 12 volts on that plug and your ohm'ing a hot line which tends to make your ohm readings whacky.

11. NiallS

NiallS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've only tested the EFI fuse, but will reference the wiring diagram and see if I can find others feeding the ECM.

When you say "check the harness for shorts", do you mean testing all pins on all four of the ECM connectors? That seems overkill, but I definitely don't want to blow the replacement ECM, so if that's what I need to do ...

12. NiallS

NiallS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, I had the battery disconnected when ohming H13-2 (+B) to the chassis (measured @ 170ohms). That pin is fed from the EFI M relay, but there's a bunch of other circuits branching off the same feed via junction connector J1 (ECU, Mass Air Flow Meter, C/OPN Relay, Fuel-Vapor Containment Valve, Canister Pump Module, VSV, Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor) so I was suspecting the 170ohms is through one of those components, versus being a short in the harness. For what it's worth, I disconnected connector IJ (downstream of J1) and confirmed that IJ1-4 to H13-2 has no short, which is where I would expect to find wiring damage if the O2 sensor was forcibly pulled out.

That said, do you think I should go down the rabbit hole and find exactly where that 170ohms continuity is happening ... might be a red herring, but could lead me to a related or different fault?

Niall

edthefox5 likes this.
  13. NiallS

NiallS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update: it was straightforward to disconnect the components downstream of the EFI M relay (by unplugging the ECM, MAF, connector IN1) which let me triple-check there was no short in the harness before installing the new ECM. I also confirmed the engine would start with the new ECM by just flipping the connectors to plug it in (thanks @mr_guy_mann for the tip above).

The official repair manual instructs you to remove the instrument panel to gain access to the ECM, but I first tried a shortcut method posted on YouTube. Unfortunately I dead ended as the instructions weren't totally clear, and ended up taking off the instrument panel anyway, for which I found another video. That was definitely type 2 fun.

Long story short, the new ECM works, and I have no check engine light for the first time since Nov 2020 :) I took the opportunity to fix the issue with he shifter binding, which had been bugging me for years. Now that I've got my hands dirty and built some confidence, there's a bunch of other preventative maintenance stuff I might tackle :)

Thanks to everyone in the thread for the pointers and advice!!

PS some photos for anyone else tackling the job: Gen 2 ECM Replacement | PriusChat

#13 NiallS, Apr 23, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
    Kasra likes this.
  14. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good point. If there is ANY voltage present across your measuring points (even a millivolt) then your resistance reading will be completely wrong and useless.

15. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am suggesting testing the circuits for the oxygen sensor. Usually only the wiring that's part of the sensor itself is damaged and that is unplugged and a new sensor is installed. But if there's any doubt then it doesn't hurt to check those sensor wires. In particular the green wire (ground control for the heater) at sensor connector shouldn't be shorted to ignition power.

With the ECM plugged in and the ignition power ON, you should have 12V at the black wire (power for the heater).

The fuses to be checked are the EFI and ETCS in the engine F/B and the IGN in passenger F/B.

16. Kasra

Kasra Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Could you share where you purchased the ECM from? Was it plug and play or did you have to do any programming?

Thanks

17. NiallS

NiallS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Kasra I ordered from All Computer Resources, and it was just plug-and-play.

Kasra likes this.
  18. MCCOHENS

MCCOHENS Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not prius but on my suby I made a mistake wiring a replacement sensor. It blew a component on the ECU board and a replacement was the only option. Very expensive mistake. So I guess the takeaway is if the cat is stolen get it towed to a garage don't drive it.

19. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have purchased a used ECM from ebay. Just matched up the part number on the outside. It's plug & play.

Side note- it's not a bad idea to clean the throttle body at the same time. The ECM adjusts the closed position of the throttle blade to compensate for "normal" build up of deposits (goop).

That adjustment is saved in ECM memory as long as it has battery power. Disconnect 12V from the ECM, and it will reset the throttle setting to "as it left the factory".

If the throttle has lots of build up but the ECM is reset, then you might have a "no start" (P3190 or P3193) because not enough air can get into the engine.

Kasra likes this.
  20. Kasra

Kasra Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Excellent thanks for the tip. My P0038 is caused by O2 sensor short. When my Cat was stolen for the 4th time, they ripped the sensor and left some bare wires. My guess is that they shorted out and blew the ECM. my car runs fine but has the P0038 even after reset or battery disconnect. Screenshot_20230506-134035_Torque.jpeg