1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stolen catalytic converter in london uk

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Priusinlondon, Aug 24, 2018.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know about UK and Canadian law, but under US law, law enforcement entities generally have no liability for this sort of inaction. Even when people's lives are directly threatened, and victims die when police either don't respond, or just do a cursory glance and leave the scene quickly without an adequate check (e.g. walk around caller's house without even knocking on the door, then leaving before intruder inside finds and murders the caller), there is usually no liability. This was the basis of a "Dial 911 and Die" thread on an unrelated forum very long ago, which collected a couple dozen cases of next-of-kin lawsuits being lost after police failed to prevent murders when the victims-to-be called 911.

Our police do get held liable for wrongful actions that lead to death or injury. You can easily guess how this incentivizes them. :( (Search for 'de-policing'.)
    I somehow doubt that such would slow them down in the future, considering how few folks are responding that way and how harshly your police would treat it.

I should note that in the US, simple CAT theft is merely a property crime, usually a misdemeanor. Victims do have a right (though few exercise it) to go up and ask the crooks to stop stealing said item. If the perps threaten the victim, then the crime is now a robbery, a form of violence and thus much more serious. If the perps make a threatening display of a pipe or any other sort of weapon (even suggesting a gun by a pointed hand in pocket, even when no gun is present), then it becomes an even more serious violent felony. Then the victim's legal options depend on the locality's "stand your ground" laws, which vary sharply. Some areas require the victim to retreat. But many others do not, and even give the victims reasonable and sometimes nearly unlimited latitude in responding to the violent threat.

My state is unique in that "stand your ground" comes from an older Supreme Court ruling, not an Act passed by the state's Legislature. And it is more narrow than some of the more recent laws in other states. Any car owner who leaves a would-be threatening cat thief wounded or dead will face legal review, to determine if the response passes a "reasonable person" test.

But that review won't happen until we have a relevant case.

#441 fuzzy1, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Mendel Leisk and Data Daedalus like this.
  2. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the legal clarification across the pond, fuzzy1

iPhone 6s +

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe, but unrelenting inaction stinks, and raises akward questions, that should aired, might lead to predicence. The law is a living thing. Awkward question number one: if the police are being handed videos, descriptions, locations, on and on, and nothing is happening, why is that?

Data Daedalus likes this.
  4. Mark6868

Mark6868 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Good to hear 'The Spaceship's' AC is in tip top condition, and that it is icy cold. (y)(y) Excellent advice to use the AC all year round for demisting and wot not. Not only does it keep the windows nice and clear, it keeps the seals from drying out.

I can advise the 'The Sitting Duck' was repaired at Artis Accident Repair in Thurrock.
    They are highly recommended. Can't fault them. :):)

5. Mark6868

Mark6868 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I am definitely keeping it, but I am going to SORN it for an extended period soon due to work matters.

Locked in an heavily fortified garage out of reach from CAT thieves. :sneaky:

6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Damm right fuzzy. It’s kind of sad that such a great people have been turned into Veal calf’s. Perhaps someday our British cousins will lift up their Kilts, grab their nuts and tell that old bat they seem to worship to bugger off.

7. Devdas

Devdas Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    I think they are busy monitoring social media and tweeter for comments too busy to look for what they consider petty crime which in turn leads to bigger crimes

8. Devdas

Devdas Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    80AC1B97-8827-4B0A-9D98-5DE347089114.jpeg 51250374-388E-4BD3-853F-E8A13B94AD49.jpeg I have reported this and several others and these posts keep reappearing Facebook and also the authorities don’t know what else to do obviously this doesn’t affect Prius owners but others too the issue is being paid in cash means it cannot be traced and has been against the law for a while now.

9. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup! You’re right.

For my inflammatory (read angry and frustrated) posts regarding this criminal syndicate and their unchecked activities in the UK, it’s only a matter of time before our local constabulary pay me a visit at 4.00am.

Door smashed down, me dragged kicking and screaming indignantly down the stairs and into a black unmarked Police Wagon. Extra whacks with truncheons for ‘resisting arrest’. And straight in ‘The Clink’ to be processed.

The charges? Xenophobia, metaphorically inciting to violence, breach of the peace, insulting the government, deeply upsetting the Police with my demeaning Prius Chat posts, and failure to shut the f*ck up and do my political masters bidding (i.e. drop your fracking britches and bend over!! - metaphorically speaking).

The punishment? Answers on a post card!

Yeah, that’s how I feel as a UK citizen right now!!!

iPhone 6s +

Mark6868 likes this.
  10. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Going after the gang masters running this operation should be child’s play.

They won’t do it, however, because it’s a victimless crime.
    Plus; the government gains in insurance premium taxes for every Prius that gets put through insurance for repairs (when your premium goes duly up).

They also gain when you independently have to buy parts for repairs, extra security you never needed before, et al - via 17.5% VAT....

It’s a win win for them. Spend money sorting the problem or instead cynically profiting off the results of criminal activity (Prius CAT thefts) all over London and beyond?

For the powers that be, it’s a no brainer. It may NOT be intentional, but it sure as hell looks like it!

See how that works?

iPhone 6s +

Mark6868 likes this.
  11. Devdas

Devdas Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Sure thing it’s those who work and pay for this are the losers legal aid for those caught stealing too I guess and then if convicted a life with PlayStation and gym at tax payer expense

Mark6868 and Data Daedalus like this.
  12. Salman khan

Salman khan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have found these two items, RAC breakdown man said I will need sensor as well so I found these two items. Will this be all I need and be good replacement for stolen cat on my Toyota Prius 2008 model. Let me know and thanks in advance.

I want to make sure I order correct so I can start find a garage to fix it.

Catalytic converter
    Fits TOYOTA PRIUS 1.5 NHW20 Catalytic Converter Exhaust BM91617H 09/2003-12/200 | eBay

sensor
    Denso Lambda Sensor DOX-0109 / DOX0109 Replaces LFG218861A ADC47039 4058635984284 | eBay

13. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Methinks you’ll need the front and rear gaskets for connecting your new CAT, as the old one will no longer fit perfectly once what remains of it has been unbolted - that’s very important.

Otherwise, despite my not being an automobile engineer, and assuming the Denso O2 Sensor is genuine, methinks you’re good to go!

Oh, you might want to replace those rubber holders that suspend the middle of the CAT assembly underneath the body of your Prius. Anybody know exactly what they’re really called?

Good luck

iPhone 6s +

Mark6868 likes this.
  14. landspeed

landspeed Active Member

Disconnect the 12v battery, leave the handbrake off.

Importantly - please do run it periodically; my Prius ran fine until I left it sitting for a few weeks after buying my Leaf, then the battery ECU partially burnt; it has been running fine since I get the (equivalent to MoT) and I am now using it regularly!

Data Daedalus and Mark6868 like this.
  15. Mark6868

Mark6868 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whilst on my lunchtime constitutional walk today (as is my wont) :) I heard a familiar sound coming down the road from behind me. I did not even have to look over my shoulder to know what it was. We all know that sound very well and it's horrible. o_O Along came a 2007 Prius is light blue. A rather fine example I thought, making that awful 'my CAT has been stolen' noise. It was actually popping.

Probably driving it to be repaired it was a sorry sight seeing this wonderful machine lumbering along the road sounding like a Hawker Siddeley Trident on final approach to Heathrow Airport circa 1975.

I was annoyed on the driver's behalf!

16. Mark6868

Mark6868 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thank you landspeed. :)
    I never even thought about that. I shall make sure the above is implemented, and that 'The Sitting Duck' is taken out for a run periodically.

Much obliged. (y)(y)

17. Devdas

Devdas Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Was in Jemca this morning getting the mot done they had two or three Prius waiting for the convertors to be sorted

18. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you spotted this light blue 2007 Prius south of the river, or possibly Teddington / Richmond area, that would likely belong to a Russian lady I know, who recently texted to let me know her Prius had been attacked as well - a week or two ago.

They’d finally decided to take it for repairs I guess - but didn’t want to have it towed (to lower repair costs).

Funny thing is, they were warned this was going to happen, but somehow ignored what had happened to me. Curious, that.

Nonetheless; this should have NEVER HAPPENED in the first place. Not to you, not to her, not to me....not to the other 1,000+ 2nd Gen Prius owners CAT burgled in the UK.

Incidentally, when mine happened, I recall The Spaceship sounding like a cold Antonov AN-2 oversized biplane engine starting up.
    The sheer horror!

Re: the Hawker Siddeley Trident; though it had three engines (one version had a 4th booster engine in the tail used specifically to aid takeoffs), I didn’t think it was as noisy as the BAC One-Eleven.
    That thing could wake the dead, as it climbed out of hot and high airports abroad. You could hear it’s twin Rolls Royce Spey engines going to full thrust on the runway 9 miles away, hear it climbing as it got louder and louder, and when it came screaming overhead, (if you weren’t watching it fly past) you were convinced it was making that sound, because it was actually in a nose dive heading straight for your home. The window panes in your house rattling ominously didn’t help!

After I got my ‘ship back, I recall the cold clammy handed fear that gripped me, every time I pressed the start button. It’s the cold fear of a missing CAT all over again.
    Repeatedly.
    In well developed civilised countries, this is also known as “Post Traumatic Stress Disorder”.

In the UK?........Victimless crime, huh?

iPhone 6s +

Mark6868 likes this.
  19. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there another car that the cats are getting ripped off of more than the Prius?

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    At a rough average of a thousand (pounds?) expense per incident, that's million.

Time the Bill put his tea cup down?