1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stolen catalytic converter in london uk

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Priusinlondon, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Send out a good old Wild West posse to hunt ‘em down, smoke ‘em out, and string ‘em up. They deserve to dangle for this, the same way cattle rustlers used to back in the day.

There. I said it.

I’m sure I’ll get a 4.00am visit from the thought Police for hate crime or for inciting my fellow Prius owners to rent some horses, a couple of rifles, some STRONG ROPE, go riding and earmark a couple of sturdy trees to hang them by. For organising a posse to catch the degenerate thieves and eliminate the threat to 2nd generation Prii once and for all.

GRAND THEFT CAT IS NOT A VICTIMLESS CRIME!

Of course that’s all satire above......and yet?
    The Anakin Skywalker within is angry. Very angry.

iPhone 6s +

Devdas, Mark6868 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I still have a spare Original Alarmed CatStrap from the USA that WILL fit your catalytic converter. PM me if you’re interested.

Methinks they won’t touch any vehicle with security, it’s way too risky for them. They always look before proceeding.

Perhaps the greatest security failure on Prii is the lack of a tilt sensor (that could be enabled or disabled from the MFD). The lack of this has aided them in attacking Prii in plain sight.

Mind you, they wouldn’t dare try this in most parts of the USA, as a bullet to the back of the head kinda hurts....terminally .

iPhone 6s +

Mark6868 likes this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Please remember that shooting ordinary thieves is illegal almost everywhere in the U.S. too. (I'm thinking of a corner case condition at night in TX, but don't know enough details.)

So is sending out a vigilante posse to capture alleged or suspected perps, especially for alleged crimes that are not currently in progress. The proper way is to call in a tip to police and let them perform the investigation or apprehension.

OTOH, most (but certainly not all) places here give victims of armed robbery considerable self defensive latitude in making the offender cease committing the robbery. Whatever force is reasonable or necessary is acceptable. And there will be a review by police, prosecutors, and/or jury to determine whether actions were reasonable. The goal is solely to halt the perp's violence or threat thereof.

NB: Remember that most gunshot victims survive. Any attempt to actually kill the perp, beyond that force reasonable and necessary to make him halt his violence, is treated as murder. But his passing from mere reasonable or necessary force, is generally justifiable or excusable.

Generslly speaking, Grand Theft CAT is a mere property crime, a theft, and not a form of violence, thus self defense does not apply. But threatening a victim or attempted intervener is an escalation to robbery, which is a crime of violence. Raising a tire iron is a threat with a weapon, which is a further escalation to armed robbery. But rules and regulations vary quite significantly from state to state, city to city, and even prosecutor to prosecutor. Victim beware.

#523 fuzzy1, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  4. Mark6868

Mark6868 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately Data I can't justify keeping my old Prius any longer. I have spent a small fortune keeping it in pristine condition, but this is the final straw. I have found a buyer who will look after it and has the wherewithal to keep it safe.

Edited to add. I found out over the weekend that a lady who parks on the road outside my place (I park in a private car park - which they came on to steal my Cat) had her 2005 Prius Cat stolen a week ago. I am guessing (paranoia) they came back to see if mine had been replaced, and found hers. I can see her car from my window. These criminals are still operating in London, and right outside my door.

Had my car been outside (it's locked in a garage) I am sure it would have been attacked again.

I can't live with this constant paranoia, so reluctantly I shall be parting ways with the 'Sitting Duck' :(:(

Farewell ye ole 'Sitting Duck' and thanks for being so very reliable. I doubt that whatever car I get to replace you will come very close to matching you in comfort and reliability. :cry::cry:

Data Daedalus likes this.
  5. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

iPhone 6s +

Mark6868 likes this.
  6. Devdas

Devdas Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Well let’s hope that the authorities get their fingers out and deal with this one crook steals catalytic convertor then they will move on to other things and still they turn a blind eye. It will only be a time when vigilante action will be the only option left.

Catch the culprit stone them maybe chop the arm that did the deed like they do in certain parts of the world.

7. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Fuzzy1

I feel I know more about US Crime Law than I do about this increasingly dismal and depressing country I live in.

My comments were of course, tongue in cheek, satire combined with sarcasm; which is why I’m at work right now, and not sitting in ‘The Clink’ facing charges of incitement to violence.....or even being accused of upsetting the Catalytic Converter thieves (a.k.a. hurting their feelings) by posting this online .

I actually envy the maintenance of law and order in the US & Canada compared to the UK, and of course, nobody behaves like I described (re; Wild West Posse).....that’s from watching too many cowboy films as a kid.

For all my “string ‘em up” postings, I’m not a violent person and actually abhor that. Basically my bark is way worse than my bite.

I take out my frustration in some of my posts - it’s like therapy to me.

I also have a mildly overactive imagination .

I write a lot - I’m actually writing a science fiction trilogy (sci-fi nerd, I am ).

Keep those informative posts coming - it’s nice to know what the law is really all about across the pond; crucially it’s nice to know the reality of situations when something happens stateside and uninformed morons blow it out of proportion making out like it’s STILL the Wild West out there (when it obviously isn’t!).

iPhone 6s +

8. Devdas

Devdas Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----

That’s just sad some crooks ruining it.

I am in a similar situ I spent on brake pads, discs, rubber boots on the cv joints, drop links etc toyota cost £1500) new Michelin tyres all round. Just recently there is no way a buyer will give a premium for that. Recent Toyota service gear box oil change £75.

Toyota valued it at £1000 which is way way below what I spent on it.

Data Daedalus and Mark6868 like this.
  9. Devdas

Devdas Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----

Another one gone in Manchester this time

10. Devdas

Devdas Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    530 posts on a stolen catalytic convertor and no action been taken by the authorities that’s just wrong

11. Nozzavtr

Nozzavtr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It’s so bloody frustrating. I’m going to be wary of using my car now, my only hope is that when the catloc is fitted, if they look underneath and see that they’ll move onton the next victim. My Prius is sitting in my work car park, I’m scared to use it without any protection underneath. As I said earlier if they want it they will take it, but I’ll make those c*nts life as hard as I can possibly make it.

12. Mark6868

Mark6868 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the sad part. It seems we all really look after our Prius cars on here. Above and beyond normal servicing and so on, yet these criminals are making it so difficult to enjoy them.

Toyota had the cheek to offer me £250, and he acted as if he were doing me a favour. I nearly launched myself across the desk at him, but held myself back, just! :rolleyes: The little squirt even said my pristine Gen 1 should have been scrapped, and not put back on the road. :rolleyes: Another who forgot to take his medication that day. :confused:

I spent well over £250 on tyres alone recently. Not to mention both rear wheel bearings/hubs.

As you say none of that is taken into account when a buyer makes an offer, yet funnily enough mention all sorts when they are selling. :sick:

Data Daedalus and Devdas like this.
  13. Devdas

Devdas Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----

Have a read what the police suggest that you do they passing the buck back to the owners like it’s a victimless crime they didn’t even say we can look into the issue of cash being paid for the stolen car parts.

إخطار إعادة التوجيه

On a separate note anyone considering a Toyota corrolla it is possible to use the keyless entry devices for someone to steal it yes in 2019. Mention this to the sleek haired sales man or woman when they try to flog the new corrolla.

#533 Devdas, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  14. Devdas

Devdas Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----

How did you know the bearing had gone? Was there a drone like noise mine went in the front left but have been told be prepared for the rest to go anytime shortly due to wear and tear.

They do check during the mot but just curious how you managed to notice the bearings failing please.

15. Mark6868

Mark6868 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine came on gradually. A low roar/droning from the rear above 40mph. Eventually it got louder and louder.

It was the rear driver's side, but I wanted both replaced to save trouble in the future (if only I knew what was coming crime-wise!)

Toyota wanted an eye watering £900+ to replace both, but I found a little place (now closed down) that did it for £450 all in. Acquiring the parts was the most difficult thing (the bearing and hub on mine are one part apparently) they were ordered directly from Japan if I recall.

You should have no such trouble with your Gen 2 parts-wise.

The noise was driving me slowly mad by the time it went in for repair. . :cry:

Devdas and Data Daedalus like this.
  16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, a few people here still do that. That is why our police cannot simply dismiss similar property crime waves as 'victimless' without taking action. Our police must actually be seen addressing the crimes, with some (possibly remote) semblance of success, in order to suppress outbreaks of more posses and vigilantism.

Your police apparently face no similar pressures.

17. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Regarding all those unfortunate victims (or yet to be victims) of the Grand Theft CAT organised crime syndicate;

If you’ve had a replacement NOT OEM CAT fitted and are worried about the performance of your 2nd Gen Prii, I’d like to allay any fears that you might lose fuel saving MPG performance.

I had a Klarius CAT installed; I filled up with a fresh tank of fuel from my favourite ESSO station 3 days ago (previous tank was an emergency fill up from one of those peculiar little places you’d normally avoid like the plague).

My previous tankful gave me 58.9 mpg (UK) on the MFD. At 524 miles; I filled up on the last square - it hadn’t beeped and gone into reserve mode yet.

So, over the last 3 days my result from the latest tank so far, while commuting back and forth to work and not sparing the horses....(but equally not driving like a.....jerk).....is;

IMG_0198.jpg

Those are rather good figures for this time of year from an old 2008 Prius.

If in doubt; specify a Klarius CAT for your poor ripped off Prius. So far, it’s holding up pretty well.

At this rate, I’ll probably break my record of 66 mpg @ 624 miles (UK) from a few years ago.

iPhone 6s +

18. Devdas

Devdas Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----

19. Devdas

Devdas Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----

Another one is gone melted away for its precious metals ☹️

20. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I cannot begin to imagine how helpless, scared and violated the owner of that Prius must feel right now.

iPad ? Pro