1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stolen catalytic converter in london uk

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Priusinlondon, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe the main question with the aftermarket CAT's is their longevity? Then again, this is with vehicles that are well along in their lifespan, so maybe moot.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  2. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Aye! You are correct. The OEM CAT was clearly over engineered like the rest of the Gen II Prius, and was doubtlessly designed to last the lifetime of the vehicle - and beyond; Judging by the few 2nd Gen Prii that are regularly reaching 400,000 miles and a even beyond that.

The 2nd Gen Prius was built with the same dedication that went into the Mars Rovers ‘Spirit and Opportunity”.
    They were guaranteed for a 90 day mission; Spirit thumbed a snook at her designers and carried on her mission for at least 6 years, while the plucky Opportunity Rover finally had her mission officially ended (Feb 13 2019) after over 15 years of amazing work on the chilling surface of the red planet.

If these Grand Theft CAT thieving vagabonds could make it to Mars, they’d have stolen bits off the Mars Rovers too, also rendering them useless!

Methinks the replacement CATs might well last the remaining lifetime of these iconic vehicles too!

iPhone 6s +

Devdas and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Kindke

Kindke Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    Half a tank used on my new Cat since the theft and im at 268 miles and 57mpg which is about what I was getting before given the conditions I drive in.

4. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Got home on Friday with 62.3mpg on the MFD. Did several short trips over the weekend, and was down to 60.8mpg by Sunday afternoon.
    Now back up to 61.2mpg after my ‘ice cold weather’ trip to work this morning (barely 3c .....cold by London UK standards, that is ).

iPhone 6s +

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So, if eggs have been broken, might as well make an omelet?

6. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Life goes on with the old Gen 2 workhorses I guess. Owners bought these splendid vehicles to not only save a pretty penny, but to work hard reliably.

It’s nice to know that a replacement CAT won’t adversely affect “The Spaceship” - or indeed any other Gen II.

Of course, like everyone else, I’ve been mortified as to whether the replacement CAT wouldn’t work as well as the OEM. I guess at this time, it seems just fine - at least, my Klarius CAT does.

Just drove home in a temperate 14c - pretty much optimum temps in the UK for high mpg from a Prius. Went from 61.2mpg this morning to 62mpg upon arrival at home.

Oh, and the greenhouse effect on board, due to the expanse of glass on The Spaceship means I’ve been running AC virtually every afternoon when the temps are over 12c - that’s everyday since I filled up recently .
    Good mpg while using AC!

Crucially, I haven’t pumped my tyres since my last service in December 2018 - the dealership usually drops my tyre pressures back down, close to manufacturers recommended. Since it was winter, I left them like that for the extra grip.

I’ll measure the pressures; if I’m wrong (but I’m sure I’m not, as the ride presently isn’t hard or harsh, but rather soft and relatively bump absorbent) I’ll advise accordingly on here, as I want to present the truth, not embellished fibs.

View attachment 168435

iPad ? Pro

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. hotelprisoner

hotelprisoner Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    All that juice in the traction battery just sitting there with nowhere to go.... Maybe a deterrent could be envisioned by some of the engineering types on here. Maybe something that renders the cutter inop.

8. Nozzavtr

Nozzavtr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've finally got the car back and on the road, Catloc was fitted by Toyota yesterday, a man came up to me as he overheard my conversation with staff, and said he had his catalytic converter stolen from his drive the other night. Only issue is that there's some rattling now, I believe its the chain used to secure the lock, however as I intend to go underneath the car to add some more protection (Steel rods, steel cable and Clips to hold it all on as someone in this thread has done) I'll see if I can secure the cable in some way. I'm only hearing the noise when I'm not playing Iron Maiden on full volume so not too bad! Still had the hesitation of when I started the car up and expecting it to be loud and it wasn't.

Ironically the shopping centre where the car was targeted has had new cctv cameras installed, which backs up my theory that they wasn't working in the first place.

9. myddelton

myddelton New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Hello my cat convertor was stolen at the weekend
    if I replace with an after market are they regarded as same scrap values the old one?
    Just not wanting to have it happen again
    was thinking of putting a note along the trim explaining that original one has already been stolen...
    do you think that may work ?
    or should i just scrap it?
    any thoughts?

10. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Something that turns the catalytic converter thief into well deserved toast?
    In the true spirit of THAT TV clip from inside the first Robocop movie.....;

“I’d buy that for a dollar......har, har, harrrr...!!!”

iPhone 6s +

11. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Hopefully, this would be their fate

12. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry to hear your catalytic converter has also been stolen.
    We share your pain .

The aftermarket 2004 - 2008 Prius catalytic converters are quite cheap but will work just as well.
    And NO, they most certainly do not have the same scrap value.

The OEM CAT incorporates pure Platinum / Palladium / Rhodium Matrixes in two catalyser pods, hence its £2,000 replacement cost.

The replacement CATs (for example, the Klarius CAT now installed in my similarly violated 2008 Prius) has ceramic matrixes coated in the aforementioned precious metals. This percentage of those metals constitutes a mere insignificant fraction of what is in the OEM CAT.

I’d go out on a limb and wager that the thieves are NOT selling the stolen Prius CATs to scrap dealers for £400, but instead, shipping them abroad to the continent as scrap metal, where they are then opened up, processed and the rare metals melted down - this way they probably make a much, much bigger profit of probably almost £1,000 per CAT. There’s a reason why the OEM Prius CAT costs almost £2,000. It’s the purity and mind boggling amount of the Platinum matrix cores within. But, I digress.

Yes, a replacement aftermarket Prius CAT is virtually worthless to these parasitic vermin, however, as word gets around that there’s a juicy “Platinum Mine” nestling (theoretically at least) under each old 2nd generation Prius, you can expect COPY CAT thefts from other snivelling little brainless rats who cannot tell the difference between an OEM CAT and a worthless (to scrap dealers) replacement.
    Ergo, replace it, but absolutely DO protect it for peace of mind.

Don’t scrap your trusty workhorse of a Prius, just because of a few brazen criminals. Protect your Prius and keep driving it - you know it makes sense.

I almost resolved to sell mine and replace it with a 2012 Auris Hybrid - except once it had been repaired and I went for a ride in it, I realised I just couldn’t possibly part with it. It was way, way better than my 2 week insurance courtesy (Hyundai i20 SE Auto) car with only 16,000 miles on the clock.

Regarding whether a replacement CAT will do the job just as well, I’d advise you read the entire thread as there are snippets of valuable information regarding this.

I can personally confirm that my Klarius CAT is absolutely wunderbar! It’s freezing cold in London today, and I’ve still got 61.2mpg on the dash multifunction display.
    Wasted 10 minutes scraping and defrosting my windscreen in 2c this morning
    Yesterday, I made it home with 62.3mpg on the dash MFD.

Fix your Prius and protect the CAT - don’t scrap it

Hopefully, these.......(Bleeep Bleeep Bleeeeeeps) will rob the wrong Prius and pay dearly for it. I live in hope!

iPad ? Pro

myddelton likes this.
  13. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It’s a very sad indictment of our times when someone allegedly designs a CATLOC to protect the Prius (a.k.a. The Silent Ninja of the roads) and the fitted product RATTLES....!!!

It’s often so quiet when you’re standing in traffic or wafting along on electrical power, you can hear the faulty engines and squeaky brakes of ALL the vehicles around you - so much so, that you’d paradoxically believe it’s your own Prius making those noises. Yeah, THAT quiet.
    So, imagine how the noise from a rattling chain under a Prius would drive the owner and passengers insane...!!!

iPad ? Pro

14. myddelton

myddelton New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    thanks for your advice
    I do like the prius and it seems such a waste to scrap it
    i am going to have an aftermarket one fitted for £528 from click mechanic and also to buy a cat clamp economy for £99 to be fitted at the same time

fingers crossed that if they come back they maybe put off

thank you so much for relying
    i am a complete ignoramus when it comes to cars

15. Devdas

Devdas Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----

This is a sun newspaper reporter whose cat got stolen guys this is still happening be careful

16. Devdas

Devdas Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    I would consider the cost of the value of the car how much have you put in tyres service etc will you get that back I doubt it and weigh it against the cost of a replacement exhaust between £350-500 this is not toyota price of course. Then make the decision.

Unfortunately authorities seem to turn a blind eye to this crime. Your seen as a statistic given a number to deal with it your self or with your insurance company

17. Devdas

Devdas Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Would you mind taking pics and posting it so it would help everyone else. Also don’t tie the wires too tight as this will in my opinion make it easier for the battery operated saw to cut through the wire rope if it’s tight. The wire is difficult to cut unless wire cutters are used but they are quite bulky to use. The wire needs to be fairly secure to be cut with a hacksaw type tool. It will keep on slipping and hopefully deter the crooks away to target someone else’s.

18. Devdas

Devdas Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
  19. Nozzavtr

Nozzavtr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Will do, thanks for the tip about not making the wires too tight. I've got 10m of 6mm cable to go on so will thread it through parts of the chassis if possible. To be honest the rattling doesn't bother me too much, just wish I didn't have the hassle of going through all this, due to scumbags taking something that isn't theirs.

20. Nozzavtr

Nozzavtr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    just heard back from the garage who fitted the Catloc, the noise is the chains underneath the car so that's normal noise apparently. I'm sure that I can fabricate something (cable ties) to secure them to stop them rattling.