1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stolen catalytic converter in london uk

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Priusinlondon, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Aye! Knowing local law enforcement over here, they’re more likely to secretly acknowledge the metaphorical stinging slaps (on their ruddy physiognomic cheeks) hidden in every damning sticker.....but will quickly formulate their revenge by dusting off some old law tomes from early century before last, finding an obscure dreadfully draconian clause that condemns anyone displaying THIS sticker to some equally obscure medieval punishment, and watering down the aforementioned penance by invoking swingeing fines on anyone caught displaying one.

Plus a criminal record for good measure.
    There’ll certainly be a few equally archaic members of the judiciary only too willing to rule against any so called Prius owning plebs who dare to thumb a snook at the law (and by extension, the elite) by daring to take such ‘drastic’ measures to protect their very own property from harmless street pilferers who are committing an entirely victimless crime.

iPhone 6s +

Mark6868 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

iPhone 6s +

Mark6868 likes this.
  3. Nozzavtr

Nozzavtr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    With all this Brexit stuff the Government are going to pot. No one has a clue about what's happening, if there was another Election soon I honestly don't know who to vote for. There's some European Election twaddle coming up though.

As for the sticker, I'm going to do some tweaking and see if I can order it, I was looking for a sticker to advertise the additional security options anyway, I may as well make my own one up!

4. Stockbridge

Stockbridge New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ====================================================================================================
    Mendel, Just tried to have two iPhones connected in my 2018 Camry Hybrid LE and it's still an either or. Both the phones are registered and show up on the list of registered devices but only one can be connected at any given time. The interface however is very easy to use.
    as per attached pictures. IMG-6351.JPG IMG-6349.JPG

Data Daedalus likes this.
  5. Stockbridge

Stockbridge New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ====================================================================================================
    It remains an either or and not two devices at once. The interface however is very simple. Just pick the registered device and it's done. See uploaded pictures.

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Nozzavtr

Nozzavtr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The attached screenshot from Facebook, the leisure centre is roughly a mile from where mine was stolen, poor woman.

Attached Files:

Mark6868 and Data Daedalus like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wonder idly: will there ever be a positive outcome in this thread? Maybe in another year. Argh!

scona, Mark6868 and Data Daedalus like this.
  8. enginestarter

enginestarter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Thanks for the reply.
    If I caught the w*****s in action, I would have just gone crazy.

Police report: done last night.

Insurance: so here's the thing... why would I claim?
    Fixing... I've now got a better idea of what's involved and the costs I need to look at.
    I'm looking at £500 cost say if I go for the most expensive option. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)
    From a reply I got @Data Daedalus, I understand I need to get a Klarius part. I looked on ebay and I'm looking at £200+ to get the part. From what I understand, fitting will cost a further £70. (Again... please tell me if I have got that wrong!)
    Let's say I go for the £500 option... why would I claim of the car insurance? I would be paying for this claim for the next 5 years in increased prices?? Yes... I have NCB. As of last 5 years, no claims.

If I make a claim... I spend the next 5 years paying extra because of my claim. I will end up paying way in excess of the £500?

Have I got my sums wrong?
    (Everything said above is mostly out of ignorance... so please correct me where wrong!)

Thanks.

(I'll be going through this thread and reading up on everything + how to best protect future theft.)

Nozzavtr and Data Daedalus like this.
  9. Nozzavtr

Nozzavtr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A new OEM Cat from Toyota is roughly £1,000. I went through my insurance company, basically as it was less hassle for me, although I suppose I could of got it repaired myself, it's not that hard. The only thing is that a Catloc seems to be designed for a OEM cat, although Catloc themselves do sell universal locks. I'm going to get shafted for my insurance I admit, but my no claims is protected, and I haven't made a claim in over 19 years. I will shop around though come September. The Klarius part recommended by @Data Daedalus is perfect, and he's taken extra protection out on the exhaust, pictures are earlier in this thread. I intend to do some extra measures on mine, by wrapping steel wire around both cats. Theres a self service garage in Gravesend, which allows me to get the car high in the air to fit the steel wire, I will photograph everything.

Judging by the responses in the earlier Facebook post I showed, it's happening a lot around where I live. I'm now paranoid, as I have to go to the Leisure Centre twice a week for my kids, so may end up taking the Subaru (which stands out even more!).

10. Kindke

Kindke Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    seems I will have to fork out £200 for a catloc, just dont feel my beloved Prius is safe.

I cant see the thieving stopping anytime soon, even though I have a cheap after market cat I cant trust these morons to bother to check.

Nozzavtr, Mark6868 and Data Daedalus like this.
  11. Nozzavtr

Nozzavtr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just be advised, as someone said in this thread earlier, that the Catloc supplied by Toyota may not fit an aftermarket Catalytic converter. I've contacted Catloc directly to see if they can advise which one of their kits will fit an aftermarket cat, and will update accordingly.

One of our local police teams has reported a few more Cat thefts annoyingly, they don't state what cars though. I can probably guess though.

12. Nozzavtr

Nozzavtr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  13. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I’m not surprised they’re keeping mum about what those vehicles that have been ripped off are. I’d be surprised if the whole Police Force weren’t reading the aggrieved reactions from the Prius Chat website.

There’ll be a lot of embarrassment among the top ranks....so damage limitation to one’s fast disappearing reputation comes in the form of hiding SOME information.
    In this case.....don’t mention the word “Prius”....

Of course, I could be talking complete b*ll*cks.........but I doubt it.

iPhone 6s +

Mark6868 and Nozzavtr like this.
  14. Nozzavtr

Nozzavtr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is the email I received back from Catloc:

Thanks for your Enquiry into the Prius Gen2 Catloc.

Unfortunately what Toyota have told you is correct. The product designed specifically for Toyota was made to fit the OEM original exhaust system and would most likely be unsuitable for a non OEM Catalytic converter.

Catloc is mainly designed for Fleet and commercial vans due to the nature of cars with so many variants it would be impossible to create a unique solution for every brand/model on the market.

The only possible solution that could potentially work with a non OEM Catalytic converter would be our universal range, please see details below

-------------------

Please ensure there is clearance around the catalytic converter or particulate filter and a suitable location to secure steel ropes is identified prior to purchase. We would recommend a professional (Garage/Mechanic) to fit these products, especially on cars that have much lower ground clearance than a Van a vehicle lift may be required.

Catloc 1001 – Clamshell shaped catalytic converter – measurement 203mm wide and 152mm tall

Catloc 1002 – Round shaped catalytic converter – circumference (measurement around the outside of the unit) between 406mm-508mm

Catloc 1002XL – Round shaped catalytic converter – circumference between 495mm-609mm

I hope you find this information useful.

Mark6868, Data Daedalus and Bobo Gem like this.
  15. Bobo Gem

Bobo Gem New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for this.
    Their universal catlock, will it cover a Prius which has two cats? It's a struggle to find a catlock that would fit a non-oem Prius cat. So much so that my insurance will now be replacing the non-oem with an OEM cat so that the Toyota catlock can be installed because they could not find a catlock to fit the non-oem

16. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That’s odd.....are they trying to say the non OEM catalytic converters for the Prius are a different size to the OEM ones ?
    There might be minute insignificant external differences, but I doubt that means a Catloc for an OEM wouldn’t fit a non OEM.....

iPhone 6s +

17. Nozzavtr

Nozzavtr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The shape of the OEM cat is more round, So there may well be a shape difference between oem and non oem cats, as for whether they supply two locks, I’m not sure. I can email back and ask if needs be.

18. Nozzavtr

Nozzavtr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I’ve attached some pictures to this thread showing how the Catloc is fitted to the car, as I’ve security etched both cats again, not that it stopped them last time though. It gives you an idea of what the kit looks like fitted, sorry for the poor pictures though.

I may still decide to wrap steel wire around both cats and secure it to the car, but I will need to put the car on a ramp first, the cat closer to the engine was harder to reach whilst on metal ramps.

Attached Files:

19. RootVegetable

RootVegetable New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Apologies if this question was already answered: are all Prii prone to this theft? I just sold my gen 2 (2005) after its cat was stolen TWICE in 6 months in London. I would buy a gen 3 if they are less vulnerable, but can't get a definite answer on this question. All the YouTube videos I've seen of this theft are from gen 2 models...

20. RootVegetable

RootVegetable New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Spotted this sign in the window of a gen 2 Prius in North London (UK). Corroborates what a mechanic told me: if you fit a cheap non-OEM cat, the thieves won't be interested in it. Any opinions on this?

20190509_213730.jpg

toodlepip, Mark6868 and Bobo Gem like this.