1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stolen Catalytic Converter - Need advice - Junk or Fix?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by loosecreek, Jun 6, 2019.

1. loosecreek

loosecreek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in Los Angeles. I was thinking about selling my 2007 prius, 160,000 miles, a few weeks back and then the catalytic converter was stolen. Called insurance and they took care of it. I went to pick up my car at the shop and they couldn't start it. Turns out they couldn't start it from when they received it from the tow truck. They told me they started it once. The car will turn on, goes to neutral but won't shift to drive or start the motor. I've had this issue before but I would just wait a second and then try again and it would start. When the tow truck came to pick up my car I started it and drove to him as he couldn't access my car in my parking spot.

They told me that its $150 for toyota to look at. They couldn't hook up their scanner to get any codes because the system isn't communicating so they will have to run a more thorough test at $450.

Insurance says they will pay for the repairs and tests IF they are from the damage that was done during the theft of the catalytic converter. They will not pay for repairs if this is due to normal wear and tear which maybe likely.

So I'm going to buy a new car very soon. I just have to figure out what I'm going to do with my prius.

Take a gamble and have the dealer look at it for $450. Already charged $150. And see if its insurance who foots the bill or me.

Have the car towed to a junk yard and get maybe $500 for it. Paying a $500 deductible.

Try to part it out but I don't think I'll have the space for this. Mind you it has a $2100 catalytic converter installed.

If the car were running I could probably get around $2500 for it.

Also I feel like I need to talk to the original shop and insurance company and ask them why they didn't tell me they couldn't start my car when it arrived.

What to do? Heres a pic of the repairs made to the car from the theft. Thanks for any insight.

Attached Files:

2. cthindi

cthindi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How many days did the car sit without being started before the new catalytic converter was installed? I take it as couple weeks since you said it happened a few weeks back.

Quite possibly the time car sat without engine being started, might have discharged the battery with internal discharge.

It is kind of tricky. Good luck dealing with insurance on that.

I notice with my 2005 , battery goes from full to 1 bar in 0.2 miles even after it sits for 3 days. ( I force charge the battery beforeI leaving the car parked for more than 2 days)

3. loosecreek

loosecreek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sat for almost 2 weeks. I was out of the country for 10 weeks recently and the car started right up after I got back.

You think whatever they find insurance will say normal wear and tear on an old vehicle?

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    loose,

First things first, make sure the 12v battery is in good condition and has a good charge.

If it does, try disconnecting it for a minute. Kind of like rebooting a computer that's locked up.

After restoring 12v power, it will normally take 2 presses of the power button to reset alarms and get the car to ready state.

landspeed and Skibob like this.