1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stolen catalytic converter - need advice

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Ryanng18, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Ryanng18

Ryanng18 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi so I recently purchased a 2011 Toyota Prius and what do you know....the catalytic converter was stolen the night I bought it. I’m just looking for some advice on what to do since I spent $7700 on the car....

I currently have progressive insurance the basic package but just added comprehensive coverage because I heard it would help cover some of the costs. I wasn’t aware that each state had different regulations until after I spoke to a representative. According to her I would need full coverage (aka collision + comprehensive) to help cover the cost of a new catalytic converter but she seemed uncertain.

I was wondering if there are any progressive agents that can help answer my question - I’m based in California if that helps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Side note: this is my first car and I’m having extremely poor luck. Bought this car from Facebook market place for $7700 - the miles on the odometer were 99k but after checking the carfax it shows 240k miles.... I’m assuming the seller changed the odometer to roll back the miles and scammed me. It’s strange because the car itself was super clean and did not look like 240k miles were put on it.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can you get any help from the ag's office of consumer affairs?

i'm not following your insurance question, are they denying coverage?

3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry to hear about your trouble.
    I would contact the police about the converter theft, and the odometer.
    Maybe even the department of transportation about the odometer.
    You might be able to return it and get your money back.
    Maybe the guy set you up?

I believe most insurance companies require full coverage to pay for any damage.
    Maybe a junk yard has a replacement?

4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sorry for your loss too. I'd contact facebook marketplace regarding the odometer issue.
    You can always report the cat issue later if they are at least willing to intervene on your behalf for the odometer

report and document

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Insurance companies generally don't cover losses that happened before you bought the insurance.

6. TinyTim

TinyTim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Didn't we have a similar situation out of the bay area with a super clean prius with incorrect mileage within the last year on the forum?

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry about your troubles.
    File a complaint with local law about both the theft and the fraud.
    Even if we both know in advance that there is a zero-percent chance that anything productive will come from it (like voting) it's your civil duty to do so.

As you know by now - insurance is pretty expensive and yes....you have to have comprehensive and collision coverage before the insurance will pay the loss. As a young driver, you're already paying super high costs for insurance, and not filing a claim just after you bought the car may actually help you out in the long run!

You have to get the car registered and smog checked.
    Either way....if you have a 3rd gen Prius, you may HAVE to get the car repaired at the more or less properly because IIRC there's coolant involved, so you're going to have to close that loop before you start to worry about having a super clean 240,000 mile car.

My first step would be to call some muffler shops and see if they work on G3 Prius exhausts.
    There are many disadvantages to living in SF, but one significant ADVANTAGE is the fact that there are a LOT of Priuses in your zip code that need muffler work - so you have options.

If you're still here in 3 months or if your car starts shuttering, knocking, or the "change owner" (Check Engine) light comes on start reading up in this forum about EGR coolers and head gasket failures - because sometimes bad things really do come in threes.....

8. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    the common issue is that the buyers verified the actual miles driven after the car was purchased.

#8 Grit, Mar 25, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I will add that it the car is ALREADY registered and smog checked for a year, then I would consider a band-aid solution for now (non-oem cat.....coolant patch) and drive the car until it fails a smog check for non-oem parts.

A 240,000 mile car may not actually last long enough to NEED another smog check......

10. Hairy Cannonball

Hairy Cannonball New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would first pursue, with the help of your local government, the apparent odometer fraud issue. Then once you get action on that, enlist the help of someone experienced to help you purchase your next car, thusly avoiding grossly overpaying for the next vehicle you wind up with.

11. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    that would convince me not to buy a cat converter replacement on the terms of states that doesn’t require inspections.

12. Ryanng18

Ryanng18 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi....so super strange. After checking my car it doesn’t seem like they stole my CAT despite what my brother said (he tested it initially and he thought it sounded strange though he has very little experience with priuses). After inspection we think the car was either idling or heating up because it was cold? Either way when I got there and night and drove it around it definitely sounded fine. BUT....strangely the check engine light turned on out of no where, despite not being on the day I bought it. I don’t know if someone did actually tamper with me car at this point but my friend has a scanner and we are hopefully going to check what’s going on. Any advice from here? Thank you for the reply!

13. Ryanng18

Ryanng18 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update

Also I'm deciding to report him for fraud
    a. He lied about the odometer - think he did some type of roll back - claimed it was 99k (the odometer reading) yet the carfax says it is 240L miles
    b. He sold me the car without it being smogged - last smog was on 11/20/20 and he sold me it on 3/23/21 - as far as I know it needs to be within 3 months in California.

ASRDogman likes this.