1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stolen catalytic converter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by austincalvello, Jun 1, 2016.

1. austincalvello

austincalvello New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    so I parked my Prius for a couple days come back start it up and it sounds like a motorcycle. Look under the car and some thief cut out my catalytic converter. Has anyone had this happen? What are my options for this? Toyota says 1k just for the part. Is there any aftermarket ones I can get I have a 2007 And I live in California so I know they have certain specs for these. Any input helps!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $1000 at the dealer is cheap. I was thinking $2000 would be the dealer price.

Since CA is a CARB compliant state, your only choice is going to the dealer. You can possibly find a used one online....but it's not legal to do so. So you just have to not say anything LOL

3. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Does your insurance cover this?

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Buy a used one.
    Get a muffler shop to install it.

...Done.

Normally, I'm pretty much a law and order kinda guy but it's beyond ridiculous to imagine that one cannot use a used catalytic converter to effect this kind of repair.
    A $1,500 repair for a nine year old Prius represents too large an investment to make for a $200 stolen part, however I would be reluctant to file an insurance claim on it either.
    I'm just guessing on the cost, plus the labor....but I would definitely price that around.
    There might be a muffler shop that will make the repair a little more reasonably.

I'm sorry it happened.
    Good Luck!

Let us know how it shakes out.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When you say "cut out" do you mean the connecting flanges at both ends of the cat are missing too? That's going to run the bill up.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you want to go the route of NON CA Compliant, you can get them on Amazon from $100 each.

7. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is my understanding that wrecking yards in most states cannot salvage cats for resale. Just buy a new one online. And pray it passes smog testing. California compliant cats may be more "robust" than non-cali cats.

And if you have insurance, turn it in. That's comprehensive, IMHO.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry to hear it man! i just hope you don't wind up buying your own converter back.