1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stolen catalytic converter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dummy, Sep 1, 2022.

1. Dummy

Dummy Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Someone stole my catalytic converter last night. Muffler shop told me it will cost 4k to fix. Amazon has the piece listed for $80 bucks. What’s the deal?

#1 Dummy, Sep 1, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Muffler shop price is maybe for OEM?

3. Dummy

Dummy Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    maybe but 80$ vs 4000?

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yea, there's even $65 replacement cats now. In all our tests if you don't live in a state like California that requires OEM this $130 Cat w/ warranty is a direct fit replacement and offers the highest quality for the price: https://www.ebay.com/itm/193690871378 You don't need any welding with them either so if you have basic mechanical skills you can install in it about an hour. Also you'll need to buy an 02 sensor too.

Prius Rising and ammdb like this.
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unfortunately, Colorado is a CARB state and you'll have to have the OEM to pass inspection.

Still, $4k for the OEM is a little on the price gouging side. Here's a little more reasonable price for an OEM. ($1,779.33 at the moment.)
    https://parts.olathetoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-catalytic-converter-front-1741021500?c=Zz1leGhhdXN0LXN5c3RlbSZzPWV4aGF1c3QtY29tcG9uZW50cyZsPTEmbj1Bc3NlbWJsaWVzIFBhZ2UmYT10b3lvdGEmbz1wcml1cyZ5PTIwMDUmdD1iYXNlJmU9MS01bC1sNC1lbGVjdHJpYy1nYXM%3D

I've replaced lots of them. Granted, it's easier on a hoist with an impact driver but still not super hard if you put the car on jack stands. Some PB Blaster or other penetrating oil on the bolts sometimes helps.

You'll also need to get an O2 sensor since the scumbags cut the wires. The connector is under the carpet next to the passenger side of the hump in the floor up front.

Devolution, douglasjre and Merkey like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    one include labor

7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you sure it's enforced based on visual inspection like in California? I've never once read on PriusChat of someone not passing inspection with aftermarket cat in Colorado, whereas I've seen that happen multiple times with people with aftermarket cats in California.

8. Dummy

Dummy Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've never seen them look under a car when doing an emissions inspection. They put a probe in the tail pipe, check the OBD for emissions codes, and check the gas cap.

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. Dummy

Dummy Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for that info. I paid 3500 for the car three years ago and there's no way I'm spending 1800 on it. I'm thinking I'll get the cheap one installed and sell it out of state before my current inspection runs out. I'm very sad about it though. It's a great car that gets great mileage.

The worst part is the muffler shops all told me it would take a week to get the parts and they wouldn't patch a piece of pipe in there until they could fix it. I'm forced to drive around with an open manifold. That's probably illegal as well.

douglasjre likes this.
  10. Dummy

Dummy Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you can buy them that cheap why is it worth the time to steal them? What are they selling the stolen ones for?

douglasjre and Woodstock74 like this.
  11. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Make sure the loose wires from 02 sensor aren't loose and are taped up. You can fry your ECU if they touch ground.

12. Dummy

Dummy Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll be buying an O2 sensor. I don't want to settle for lower mileage till I sell it. I wouldn't want to sell it that way either.

13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    New cat designs get close to the same result without as much precious metals. But back when Gen2 Prius were built precious metals were cheaper so they used lots to make Prius a super duper clean burning car with 2 grams each of Rhodium, Palladium, and Platinum. Prices for these metals peaked about a year ago and have come down significantly:

As of today here are the prices for:
    2 grams of Rhodium = $1,114
    2 grams of Palladium = $150
    2 grams of Platinum = $64

jerrymildred and Dummy like this.
  14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My point was you need to tend to the loose wires from the theft. You indicated you were still driving it without the Cat and if you don't tend to those loose wires you could fry one of your car's computers.

And if you never seen them look under the car during an emissions inspection you have nothing to worry about. The $130 cat will produce the same data as the OEM cat, but it won't pass visual inspection and sounds like you don't have that requirement in Colorado, so nothing to worry about. You and your Prius can keep hanging out for years to come!

15. Dummy

Dummy Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That definitely explains it.

16. Dummy

Dummy Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    just checked the Colorado law-
    "Either replacement catalytic converters must be original equipment from the manufacturer (OEM), or a new aftermarket catalytic converter certified as meeting California’s Air Resources Board (CARB) emissions standards."

I'll see how much the aftermarket that meets CARB standards is.

jerrymildred likes this.
  17. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Online sellers won't sell them in the state of California and sometimes New Jersey because buyer's get upset and legal hassles can soon follow. But if that's not an issue in Colorado it's safe to assume you'll be ok due to lack of visual inspection requirement.

18. Dummy

Dummy Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    aftermarket converters that meet California CARB standards are expensive. About 2k on the Oreilly website. I'm gonna have to drive to another state to put the cheap one in. This sucks.

douglasjre likes this.
  19. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's not as bad as you think... Most Prices for aftermarket equivalent are only $700ish... And direct fit replacement cats eliminates the welding so anyone you can find with basic mechanical skills can install it for you. But again, it'd be way less expense to put on the $130 one and see if it passes inspection next time that's due and if it doesn't sell it in a state next to yours or upgrade to the $700ish version. But I'm willing to bet it won't come to that.

20. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    douglasjre likes this.