1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stolen Gen 3 catalytic converter thread. Post your experiences.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Georgina Rudkus, May 27, 2023.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    After reading about the experiences of many members on stolen Gen 3 cats, I decided to create this thread so that members can post their experiences on replacing stolen Gen 3 cats, when a friend of mine in Florida contacted me on how to replace his stolen cat like this photo shows.

219339_2015priuscatjack.jpeg

I am purchasing an aftermarket Made in Canada for him and modifying it with the necessary adapter pipes, so that he can just put it on his car and drive it to the muffler to have it welded to the stub of the remaining tube of the exhaust gas preheater for a nominal fee.

On that account, I need to know the diameter of that section of pipe. The outer diameter is helpful if the inner diameter is not available, since it can easily be calculated.

Thanks to all in advance who respond.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My experience with those Canadian made aftermarket Cats are not very good, they only last about a year before you get a check engine light again (sometimes it happens right out of the package)

Tombukt2 likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This has happened to all my gen2 aftermarket cat from a pretty reliable company their cats have worked on all my cars for years no issues till the Prii came along. All many cars take is a weld in by weight cat .seriously. go to exhaust shop they'll show you the rack of boxed cats . They can clamp or weld in to the proper flange sizes which are dictated by the part numbers and notice on every box it has a weight limit or a range 3 to 5000 lb vehicle etc etc only the Prius that I know of has these funny cat problems I'm sure there are some others but this is a widely used vehicle and I guess now known issue.