1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stolen Key Fobs. Locked out my Prius, Can I buy new fobs and reprogram or do I need a dealership?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Need4Camaro, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Need4Camaro

Need4Camaro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I had to leave town and took the Camaro on a 1,000 mile road trip from Austin to Atlanta. When I got there, I got checked into my hotel, went out to eat and when I came out the restaurant, I was greeted to this:
    20200606_232355.jpg

Someone broke into my car and looted it not even a full day of being there. Unfortunately I left the keys to the Prius in the center console. I plainly forgot I left them there. Of course, they were stolen. The thieves also have my address as it was on my registration and insurance cards...I dont know if they will venture 1,000 miles for my car but either way I'm locked out of it now.

Can I purchase fobs on my own and somehow reprogram it or does it need a dealership?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try a locksmith

3. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's terrible!
    Dealer is your best bet, but locksmith might be able to do it now?

Back in 2009, my mother's purse was stolen at the food court of a mall. And somehow both keys to her Prius was in that purse.

I ended up reported to insurance, and luckily my comprehensive insurance deductible was only $50 and that's all it cost me to have dealer cut and program 2 smart keys...

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.