1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

stolen smart key and gps

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by randyb359, Apr 12, 2008.

1. randyb359

randyb359 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    someone stole my friends car witch had my spare smartkey and GPS. So now the thief has a key to my car and knows where I live and work. My next GPS will not have the home and work buttons programed. I called the Toyota dealer where I bought the car to get a new key and have the stolen one removed and they said they can't take me till Monday. Bairel Toyota in Cranberry PA said they couldn't but after I explained the reason it was urgent agreed to do it today. It is a 40 min drive but I figure better that than having my car stolen

2. rep308

rep308 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I have my next door neighbor's address listed as my 'Home' on my Nuvi

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That isn't good. Yes, the dealer can remove the smartkey from the car SKS, so the thief can't drive off in it. However, the thief will still have the metal emergency key, so can still open the car and rummage through the contents

Not sure what the solution is.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry to hear about your theft.

It should be possible to rekey the driver's door mechanical lock, which means getting new mechanical keys for the fobs that are still authorized to work with the vehicle.

5. randyb359

randyb359 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The thieves had no problem breaking my friends window so them having the metal key might be a good thing.

The dealer was unsuccessful in programing the new key. So I have a rental for the weekend so they can try to figure it out Monday. I figure that is a good thing. If they show up to steal it they won't find it