1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

STOP CLICKING EXTRA GAS IN YOUR TANK

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by KD6HDX, Dec 27, 2005.

1. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just wanted to say that when I went to a new car seminar at LONGO TOYOTA here in Southern California, the service manager advised ALL new toyota owners(not just HYBRID owners) NOT to squeeze the gas pump to add a little more gas or round it off to the next nearest dollar. The reason that was given was the EVAP canister or some other charcoal canister that is designed to absorb fuel vapors in the tank when it is near empty. Apparently when you squeeze a little extra fuel into the tank, you are actually fillung up the filler tube that connects to the fuel tank. When this happens, the spillover runs up the filler tube and then back down into the charcoal evap canister. The service manager said that when this charcoal element becomes saturated with liquid fuel and not just vapors, the fuel mileage will decrease, and you will be needing a new canister soon. (he also said that many customers would spend good money trying to have the low fuel mileage correctly diagnosed) He also advised that if you pull into a gas station and the fuel door is on the opposite side of the car from the pump, that sometimes people will turn the gas nozzle upside down so the hose will stretch out and reach. He said that this will also cause the same excessive fillup because the nozzle has to be right side up in order to detect the rising fuel level in your filler tube. He pointed to a small hole at the bottom of the nozzle. Here in Southern California all of the pumps have this type of nozzle. In some other states this may not be true. He also said that ALL toyota owners should here at least 3 clicks on the fuel cap so as to make a tight seal. Loose caps can cause sensors to light up and of course some will take there car in for service.

I am now past 10K miles and have switched to synthetic Mobil 1 5/30. Average mileage for me and my wife is between 45 and 50 MPG. Since we are able to drive the carpool lanes, this actually cuts down on mileage because of the near 75MPH speeds that you are forced to drive. Many people think that the carpool lane is the fast lane. It is not. I used to drive slower in the carpool lane while those behind me flashed their high beams and raised their middle fingers. Then one day I noticed the sign that read, "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT". I then decided to stop imposing my driving habits on others. I just go with the flow now.

Dave 05 prius

GO BIG ED ON AIR AMERICA

2. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've heard the same thing at the Longo Owners Dinner or Orientation. Since then i have stopped "overfueling" my car. Another reason why i stopped is because i've seen many fuel gauges break due to excessive pumping.

3. tag

tag Senior Member

Good God! Is this really true? If so, I've got to stop!!!

4. prius23

prius23 New Member

5. prius23

prius23 New Member

[quote=prius23,Dec 27 2005, 02:25 PM

I also went to a Longo Toyota seminar back in Oct. Did any of you win any prizes? BTW, a guy stated that he was having problems with his navigation system in his avalon. He would put in the city and name of the store and info from another far way city would come up. That has happened to me also. POI isn't that accurate. I called corporate Toyota and discussed this about my Prius 05 and the guy stated that I needed to take my navigation system in for an update. Called Longo Prius tech guy and he said my model yr car was not eligible for an update. Boo hoo. Does anyone know if Longo does good maintenance?? I live closer to Puente Hills Toyota.

6. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In my opinion, LONGO is the dealer to beat. They seem real concerned about the satisfaction of their customers. I have bought 3 toyotas there over the years. I am so impressed with their level of commitment, that I may apply for a part time job there (if gas prices keep going up) I live in Chino Hills and I drive there for service. I have had my two first oil changes there (FREE COUPONS) but I will start my own oil changes with their filters and Mobil 1. Major service will continue with them.

Dave 05 Prius

GO BIG ED ON AIR AMERICA

7. Zacher

Zacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sure it's true. I thought this was common knowledge. This goes for most modern cars with evaporative emissions controls. I never let the attendant top anything except my 74 Dodge Power Wagon.

What's the appeal of topping, anyway? Are people just looking to save 2 fillups over the course of their lifetime, or is there some real benefit I am missing?

8. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Every since I started using credit card to pay for gas (5% cash bacK!), I stopped topping it off. Even in NJ where someone does it for you, they don't even bother rounding it up if you hand them a credit card.

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was to round either the payment to a whole dollar (to avoid getting change) or the amount to a whole gallon (to make MPG estimates easier). Real old school/old fart behaviour.

10. tag

tag Senior Member

Boy, no offense but 'saving 2 fillups over the course of a lifetime' is extremely under exaggerated, at least in my case. I've found that I can get another 2-3 gallons in my tank after click-off. Clearly, squeezing in those extra gallons is saving a LOT more fillups than 2 over the course of a lifetime.

11. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two

12. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I always fill my car's tanks. It is a waste of gas to go the the gas station 20 % extra.
    If the charcoal cannister tube gets gas in it it is designed wrong.

13. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I haven't found that to be true either in NJ or in PA w/full serve. <_<
    I always have to ask them not to top it off and then keep a close eye on them.

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

that is not topping off. the gas pump is deffective. there was another thread that described what a defective nozzle looks like and how it happens. if you look at the end of the nozzle and it is not perfectly round or you can see signs of mushrooming on the tip, dont use it. it will cause false fill shutoffs.

you know what your mileage is and how much gas you burned. if the pump shuts off 2 gallons before you know you are full, then keep going. every time i pull into the station, i know how much empty space i know i have.

you can talk all you want about how inaccurate the MFD is, but that is what i go by, i show no signs whatsoever of losing gas mileage for any reason.

15. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How many years have these charcoal canisters been around, since I never managed to break one over nearly 30 years of owning cars?

No idiot lights, no engine sputtering, no nothing. Air quality? Beats me.

Now, I'm not saying it can't happen, but my luck just isn't good enougn to have gone through all the cars I have and not ruined one canister: if I should be able to tell when I have, I haven't.

So, since I want to have a full tank of gas as a reference point each time I refuel, I will continue to fill the tank and filler tube until further notice...

16. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Remind me not to buy a used car from this guy! :rolleyes:

17. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I presume that Longo knows that the Prius uses a bladder instead of a metal fuel tank and that it contracts in cold weather. That if you don't fill it completely that it may shrink to the point that it can't take the full 11.9 gallons. Did you point that out?

18. tag

tag Senior Member

Two things then:

1) We need to come to some sort of consensus regarding what constitutes "topping off".

2) To date, every gas pump I've used is "defective".

19. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Does anyone know why this would decrease fuel milage? Also I had thought the system was designed to keep liquid out of the canister, is this not true?

Unfortunately in Oregon we are not allowed to fill our own tanks. Usually when I tell them not to top it off I end up leaving with 3/4 of a tank; if I don't say anything they sometimes spill gas down the side of the car. Does anyone else in Oregon or New Jersey have this problem or is it just me?

20. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Me too, it will stop at 8.5ish gallons even if I have used 10+. Not sure what happens if I use 8.5 then try to fill, almost always go to 1 bar ir not 1 bar blinking.