1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

STOP CLICKING EXTRA GAS IN YOUR TANK

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by KD6HDX, Dec 27, 2005.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    heh, and then there was my little problem from a couple of months ago:
    http://priuschat.com/Fuel-gauge-way-off-t11653.html

That's when a fellow member ( hwearsch ) tipped us off about the fuel bladder contraction issue.
    I put this in the wrong thread initially. Sorry about that.

2. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two

3. meshell

meshell New Member

i was filling up yesterday and was holding the nozzle, i didn't leave it at all. when i got to around 6 gallons i figured it would stop. usually i fill up w/ 2 pips left and it takes around 7 gallons. when it didn't stop and i hit 8 gallons i stopped and pulled out the nozzle. gas came gurgling back up the intake hole. i freaked out!!! i let it gurgle for a few mins and then capped the tank and washed my car. is there anything besided decreased mpg to worry about?

4. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(meshell @ Nov 25 2006, 04:06 PM) [snapback]354011[/snapback]</div>
    I've done that, it's the car's way of telling you it's full. I'd be very surprised if it hurts anything, but you are putting a lot more gas fumes in the air otherwise than if you'd stopped at 6. Just let it click off next time. Depending on the temperature, how new your car is, and the phase of the moon, it never seems to hold as much gas as you'd think sometimes.

5. meshell

meshell New Member

i just wanted to make sure i didn't break my baby...she only has 3300 miles so far!!! that's the problem though...there was no clicking. no nothing!!! i was shocked....i didn't realize that could happen. i am not a clicker, so when it stops i stop. what about this charcoal thing that is in the car? do i need to have it checked?

6. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(meshell @ Nov 25 2006, 04:22 PM) [snapback]354016[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, I didn't read your post closely enough, that is a bit strange to get burped with no click, but gas pumps vary. I usually get burped when I'd know it should hold 6.5 gallons or something and it clicks off at 5.5 and I try to put more in. I thought with the bladder system there was no charcoal cannister as in other cars, so as far as I know, you aren't hurting the car any, other than the gas running down the side, which shouldn't hurt the paint as long as you wash it off.

7. meshell

meshell New Member

thank you for some peace of mind. i ran her through the car wash immediately to avoid paint issues. hope you have a good weekend...

8. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(meshell @ Nov 25 2006, 04:06 PM) [snapback]354011[/snapback]</div>
    Well, every car responds differently when gas gets into places it be in. I've done that too many times at home by accident. My MPG is up to almost 54.0, and the car has suffered no ill effects. Not to worry unless the car acts up.