1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stop Driving for Mileage in HOV Lanes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Stilview, May 30, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol... riight. I'd like to see you do 70mph in the snow if it's the minimum.

2. Clar

Clar Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 31 2006, 01:21 PM) [snapback]263463[/snapback]</div>

Been there and done that on snow. It was fun and I was young and stupid.

3. samoan_ridah

samoan_ridah New Member

Regardless of what the posted speed limit is, it is not up to you to enforce it. Common courtesy and a little common sense should always be used when driving in any lane on the highway. If you see that there are several cars behind you wanting to pass, wait until it is safe to do so and pull out of the lane to allow them to go by.

This morning I pulled into the HOV lane right behind another Prius and she insisted on driving around 62MPH (65MPH Posted Max). Several cars piled up behind us and it was obvious she was slowing down the flow of traffic. My gripe is that the regular lanes, at that point, were moving fairly smoothly so if she wanted to drive that slow then she should have just stayed over on the regular lanes where she isn't forcing everyone else behind her to drive at the same rate as her.

If you want to drive in the HOV lanes, go with the flow of traffic. If you think that flow is too fast for you then maybe you should switch back over to the regular lanes. This is what is building up the number of hybrid-haters out there and eventually could be what people will begin complaining about to their legislators, ultimately putting an end to our beloved privilege.

4. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samoan_ridah @ May 31 2006, 01:42 PM) [snapback]263475[/snapback]</div>
    Ummm, first off, who determines 'the flow'? If you zoom up behind a driver already in the lane, didn't THEY have 'the flow' going and you are trying to screw with it?

Second, most HOV lanes I've seen are right next to the normal passing lane, so unless it's backed up the speeders could always use that to pass with.

Third, if the passing lane IS backed up, it's kinda dangerous to be zooming along in the HOV lane.

None of these things are acceptable to people addicted to speeding, but the points do exist...

5. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ May 31 2006, 03:29 PM) [snapback]263542[/snapback]</div>
    These are are good points, but as usual, there's more than one way of looking at things.

I think the situation is very different if you have just one HOV lanes as opposed to two, and if the HOV lane(s) are separate from the regular lanes or not.

Yes, if there's one lane, your top speed is determined by the car in front of you, whether that person is doing the speed limit, exceeding the speed limit, or driving under the speed limit. And in that case, I think it's just common sense and common courtesy to match the speed and maintain a safe braking distance. But I also feel that everyone using that sole lane has an obligation to move along - not speed, but do the speed limit, and not try to pulse and glide and squeeze every last mpg from the vehicle.

When you have two HOV lanes separated by a barrier from the regular lanes (as we do on I-95 in Virginia), it's a different story. The left lane should be used for passing, and the right for slower traffic. These HOV lanes are used more and more every year, and I know I wouldn't feel comfortable using pulse and glide very often given the volume of traffic.

For me, "going with the flow", in multiple lane situations, means not being the slowest driver out there, but not being the fastest either. Depending on road conditions, volume of traffic, time of day, etc., I will try to do at least the speed limit, and often a bit more.

6. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samoan_ridah @ May 31 2006, 01:42 PM) [snapback]263475[/snapback]</div>
    Correct. It's up to the police to enforce.

It's only up to you to act within the law yourself. And if you don't like the limits imposed by those laws, call your legislative representatives to have them changed. Just as it isn't up to any of us to enforce a speed limit, it's not up to you to change it to anything you might want as long as you think you can get away with it to suit your scheduling convenience.

7. electricity_guzzler

electricity_guzzler New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ May 31 2006, 03:29 PM) [snapback]263542[/snapback]</div>

ok let's clear this up. The FLow is relative. It is always determined by the person YOU are following. If you are following at the same speed as the person in front of you, then you are said to be "going with the flow."

so the person who is holding up several cars behind him/her is not going with the flow (as determined by the car in front of him/her). but all those poor drivers behind him/her are going with the flow (because they are forced to go at the same speed as him/her).

8. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse @ May 31 2006, 04:07 PM) [snapback]263562[/snapback]</div>

Especially, if you are eating in your car! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. cattail722

cattail722 cattail722

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 31 2006, 06:17 AM) [snapback]263339[/snapback]</div>
    I agree 100% with this reply and the original poster. It is difficult enough to overcome the Prius slow stereotype. Let's not make it worse. I especially think it is NOT ok to drive slower in the HOV lane than the rest of traffic in the non-HOV lanes are traveling. What's the point of using the HOV lane if you're not trying to make better time than the rest of the traffic?

10. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I drive the HOV lane with the flow, but with a caveat. Since I don't believe paint stops a two ton car, I am wary, and slow down, if traffic in the neighboring lane is slowed. Too many times an impatient or inattentive driver swerves into the HOV lane to avoid rear-ending the car in front of them.

Under those circumstances, I slow down--how much depends on how nervous the next-lane drivers are making me, and how much "shoulder" area I have on my left to swerve should some moron enter the HOV lane ahead of me going 30mph.

Otherwise, it's "go with the flow!", usually 70-75.

11. ken_sturrock

ken_sturrock New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ May 31 2006, 10:32 AM) [snapback]263363[/snapback]</div>
    You can comfort yourself in ICU with law-abiding mental rigidity when your backseat is where your glove box used to be. It's all about maintaining safety and reasonable traffic flow regardless of the signs. If the HOV lane is too fast for your tastes then you should take yourself into a lane where you feel safe.

12. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium

13. jmccord

jmccord New Member

I agree! :D
    Lot's of good comments and I admit I've taken both sides at one time or another.
    But now with over 30 years of experience behind the wheel, I'm ok with the speed limit (not "flow") in the HOV lanes. Lots of good reasons including safety, FE, differential speeds, etc. If regular lanes are backed up, I'm happy to be moving at the speed limit (usually 65 mph). If traffic on the freeway is moving briskly, the speeders should stay in the multiple non-HOV lanes where they can recklessly dart in and out continuing to present a rolling traffic hazard wherever they go. By the way, how much time are the speeders really saving? Or is it just the satisfaction of being a scofflaw? :p

14. Subversive

Subversive New Member

It's really quite simple. If enough Prius drivers are road hogs that enough carpoolers complain about them, all Prius drivers will have the ability to use HOV lanes taken away from them. So if you want to piss in somebody's pool, kindly go piss in somebody else's pool. It is not an unreasonable request that you either you travel at the speed of traffic or get out of the way.

Either that, or put a bumper sticker on your car that says "I refuse to drive 1 MPH over 55" so we can find your car and deface it. :)

15. bigj3347

bigj3347 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I couldn't agree with Samoan Ridah more. when vehicles in the middle lanes are going faster than the prius driver is in the HOV lane, something has to be done. It really is common sense, you should go at the "speed of the road" and if you are not comfortable going at the speed of the road, move to the right in the slow lane and go as slow as you want. I've seen cops cruising down the freeway at 85 MPH in 65 MPH zonez plenty of times. Why? because it is the speed of the road!

If there is heavy traffic in the fast lane, it is common sense to slow down to a reasonable speed so that you can break in time if some dimwit decides to cut into the HOV lane. That is defensive driving and common sense. But when the fastlane cars are going 80MPH, the middle lanes are going 75, and you're driving 60-65 in the HOV lanes, thats when you really should have your HOV priviliges revoked. You're not only slowing down traffic, you're giving us prius drivers a bad name.

I have an uncle who has a 04 Prius and he's the mpg fanatic that will go as low as 58 MPH on the freeway to get maximum mileage, i think he averages 53mpg. Regardless, he NEVER drives in the HOV lanes unless there is heavy traffic outside. Doing so in the HOV lane is snobbish, rude, and inconsiderate.

Is it right for others to "speed" by your standards? No, but it is equally not right for you to impose your driving habits on all the cars behind you. Who are you harming by moving over to the right lanes and let the speedsters race ahead to their deaths? By slowing down and acting all high and mighty in your prius doing 60 in the HOV lanes, you're giviing all the non-prius drivers every right to resent prius drivers and that is stereotyping at its best but when a lot of you do it, the stereotype is justified.

16. Subversive

Subversive New Member

In Massachusetts, regardless of your speed, you can actually be stopped by a police officer for "inciting road rage" if you holding up vehicles behind you that would like to move faster. Of course, they usually only enforce this law when they are the car that wants to move faster and they are too lazy to turn on their flashers, but it's the thought that counts.

17. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't know how it is in other states, but in NJ there's kind of an unwritten agreement between the police and commuters... during the morning and evening commuting hours you can pretty much go as fast as you want as long as you're not being reckless (reckless = weaving or driving stupidly fast).

Going 80 past cops sitting on the side of the road is not uncommon, and is ignored as long as you show the common courtesy to hit your brakes and not accelerate until they're out of sight in the rear view. I've even had cops come up behind me while I was flying along, and as long as you get the hell out of their way, they don't care. On the other hand, start weaving in and out of traffic while doing 80, and you will get pulled over. If it's past 10am for the morning commute or 7pm for the evening commute, then all bets are off.

I do strongly believe that in NJ if someone were holding up the left lanes by crawling along at 62 with people backed up behind them and people passing to the left, the police would pull the offender over and beat him/her while motorists applauded as they sped by.

Don't screw with people's commutes. They're cranky and they haven't had their coffee. It's not a good idea. :)

18. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigj3347 @ May 31 2006, 09:39 PM) [snapback]263860[/snapback]</div>
    Are you kidding?

Do you really think that these high speed accidents will only kill the speeders?

What would you tell the family of someone killed by a speeder who took an extra 100-200ft to try to stop, but couldn't because he had to get that extra 10mph?!

You know what? Although I love having HOV lane access, I now realize what kind of people are using that lane!

AGAIN, carpoolers who complain that they can not speed in the HOV lane will have no voice with trying to get our cars removed...that is unless they lie and give different reasons...which considering some of what I am reading here, does not seem that far fetched!

The speed of the freeway should only have bearing on the HOV lane when the freeway is going slower then the HOV lane. If the HOV lane was isolated from the freeway and the freeway was not visible at all, would everyone still be so hot to speed? No, because you justify your speeding because others are speeding too...and figure that if everyone does it, why shouldn't I. No matter how much we all speed, the fact remains that we can get a ticket for it at anytime, and forcing others to break the law too, to enjoy the benefits of a lane designed to ease rush hour commutes, not for wide open speeding, is just crazy and selfish!

A better idea would be to open the HOV lanes during non-rush hours, creating your prized super speeding lane. Then during rush hour, when speeds in the HOV lane are reduced, these issues would be reduced.

19. j24816

j24816 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ May 31 2006, 11:27 PM) [snapback]263908[/snapback]</div>
    There's a non-rush hour on LA freeways? Where? When?

20. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I will usually do 70 in the posted 65 while in the HOV lane. If some jerk climbs up my rear trying to do 80-85 I will just move into the fast lane to let them pass (and hopefully get a ticket). Then I pull back intot he HOV lane, but you have to be careful for sure. I am not about to pick up a ticket and higher insurance rates because some jerk wants to speed.