1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stop light stupidity.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by harryarcos, Oct 12, 2018.

1. harryarcos

harryarcos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Shocked to discover that it was more than just a failed bulb when the stop light in the NS rear light cluster failed to light up. After drawing a blank looking at the fuses and wiring, I looked here to find that it is a sealed unit and the whole light cluster needs to be replaced at a cost of about £150. This is such a stupid design, as it means that the car is not road legal while the light is out. However, I have now managed to get 3 of the LEDs working by cutting off pieces of plastic behind the lights, removing the LEDs and rewiring them to just use the good ones. There is no fancy circuit and the LEDs are wired in a series of 3 so that each one draws about 4 volts. When they fail, they either go out or draw a lot more voltage making the others so dim that they cannot be seen.

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done!(y)

3. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What year gen 2’s have these led bulbs? The bulbs in my 2006 look like regular bulbs to me.

4. harryarcos

harryarcos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a 2004 vehicle. I was not aware that the top sections which are black were actually stop lights. I jumped in by checking the bulbs etc. behind the red lower sections. Incidentally, the fuses for the stop light are beneath the steering wheel and really difficult to service. They are numbered wrongly in my handbook, which did not help and Haynes was about as much use as that 'chocolate fireguard'. IMG_9845.JPG IMG_9847.JPG

5. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Wait untill you find your automatic headlight position'er failing and look at it, they rust and you need a spring from a ballpoint pen to "fix" the device;)

6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For automatic headlight leveler you can also simply use a potentiometer. Did it with one of my personal cars.

JasWalker and SFO like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    u/k may have different lights