1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stop Start Idle Technology won't work when Transmission is in B mode

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by walter Lee, Aug 7, 2012.

1. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    FYI .. This morning I was playing around with my 2010 Prius "B" mode - I realize today that when the Prius CVT is in "B" mode the Prius ICE won't turn off even when it is at a complete stop -- instead the ICE runs/idles at a 996 RPM / .20-.40 GPH while stopped in traffic. The coolant temperature (@190F ) doesn't matter, Battery State of Charge (54% soc) doesnt matter. To re-enable the stop-start idle technology - I had to switch the Prius CVT back to "D" mode. I end up burning a bit more fuel on this trip because it took me a while to realize that I was in "B" mode and that the stop start idle technology had disabled in the "B" mode ... :whistle:

2. gmcneil05

gmcneil05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes I believe all Prii do that. I know my 05 does.

3. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm pretty sure I've seen the engine off in B mode, but you are absolutely right - it is very reluctant to do so. B mode is not useful if your primary objective is to save gas. It's more useful for ease of driving down a steep slope, or saving wear on your brakes.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Interesting. I didn't know that. I'll have to give it a whirl on my 06.

That might be another reason some people get "poor" mileage when driving in B mode.

5. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was playing around with - practicing running in B mode while going down some steep slope in my commute- the Prius more aggressive goes into automatic regenerative braking mode and seems to recharge the battery faster in B mode when I do this ( or atleast it feels that way). :whistle: :p I had forgotten to switch back to D mode after the downhill segment and saw my MPG drop from my normal numbers :confused: - it took me a while to figure out what was going on. :oops: At first I thought it had something to do with the ECO, PWR button setting:unsure: - then I realize I was in B mode and I switch back to the D mode and all was back to normal. :)