1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stowage tray for side cubbyhole in Gen 3 hatchback trunk

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Robert Holt, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The side cubbyholes in the trunk area of the Gen 3 hatchback are useful for storing knickknacks , but I had problems with the stowed stuff sliding out onto the main floor of the trunk and getting in the way of inserting luggage and other large items in the main trunk area. So I designed and built a tray with a raised side rail that precisely fits the larger cubbyhole on the passenger's side. This tray in our Prius has a medical kit and emergency gear such as rain shells, caps, towels, and so forth, and it is easily removed if I have to access the 12-volt battery underneath the trunk floor on that side. If anyone else wants to construct one of these, I will mention that it might be easier to use some kind of thermoplastic or even fiberglass to make a tray that will fit the compound curves of the cubbyhole. I preferred to use thin plywood, but getting the side rail to fit those compound curves was challenging.
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

lumpy95, Raytheeagle, bisco and 2 others like this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Clever! (y)

You've given me an idea. The plastic storage bin underneath is pretty much wasted space. I wonder how hard it would be to remove the cover and the plastic tray and then build something like what you made that would sit down in that cavity. I have some 1/8" ABS plastic I could use for that if I can find the time to play with it.

Robert Holt likes this.
  3. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I modified that tray so that a full-sized tire on a Prius rim could fit (barely) in the hole where the high-pressure donut spare used to be. That mod required me to move the Jack out of the spare tire area below, so that Jack plus puncture repair plugs, sealant, air pumps , and survival gear are now all stored in that plastic bin. (I had a blowout in upper Yukon Territory and had to use the donut under adverse conditions, so modded our Prius to replace the bloody thing!)
    One caution: The exhaust cooling air from the HV battery flows around that bin and over to the side to cool the 2-volt battery in the corner before exiting the trunk area. Whatever you custom build , I would just be careful to preserve the airflow for the exhausted HV cooling air , as either the HV or 12-volt battery may overheat if that flow were blocked.
    Please post pics of what you make!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're good, robert!(y)

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good point. I'll have to check that out. But the PiP battery cooling is completely different. I have some big projects going now, so I might be a while before I get to this. I at least need to finish replacing the ceiling on my lanai (back porch for northerners), that fell off. What kind of dummy uses drywall on an outdoor ceiling in Florida anyway? The new one is cedar. ;)

#5 jerrymildred, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    Robert Holt, bisco and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    was that hurricane damage?

7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope. Just the inevitable result of using gypsum board outside in 98% humidity, combined with gravity. Our neighborhood was built in the early 70's so there are some odd construction methods demonstrated here.

bisco likes this.
  8. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    "Prius Pockets" Version 2.0:
    I cut 10 cm strips from bamboo place mats from Bed, Bath, and Beyond to make the curving walls on the outside edge on this set of "Prius Pockets" that I made for my sister-in-law's 2010 Prius hatchback. Aesthetically, I think they turned out well, but at least she likes them!
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

RMB and jerrymildred like this.
  9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    NICE!! I think I'll probably copy that. I got to thinking about my earlier idea of making a taller one that would reach down into the battery cavity and realized that that would necessitate removing the mat. I still have left over 1/8" pvc plastic I think I can use.

Robert Holt likes this.