1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

STP cabin air filter information please?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Julia2001, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    friends.

I apologize in advance for what is probably the most ridiculous question asked in this forum, but I was just at my local Autozone purchasing everything I need to change the oil in my 2007 Prius.

While there, I figured I'd buy new engine and cabin air filters since neither has been changed since I bought the car a little over a year ago.

Autozone here only carries Fram and STP filters. For my particular vehicle they only had the STP filters in stock so I bought them.

I just replaced the cabin air filter and noticed that the STP filter is different from the old one which had been changed by the dealer.

The STP filter has different materials on each side. One side is the traditional paper filter feel, and the other side has a more glossy, plastic coat...sort of.

There is an arrow on the filter with the words AIR FLOW and MADE IN CHINA (really???).

I'm not sure which way to place the filter. I assume the air flow is DOWN...that the air comes in from the top and flows downward?

But on the plastic housing inside the glove compartment that holds the filter and its' frame, there is also an arro with the word UP.

Which way does my new air filter go?

And did I just win the "stupidest question ever" award??

Thank you very much for your time.

Julia

2. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  3. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you very much, Snead. That's the problem, though...these STP filters don't have that flat frame border I think you're referring to.

Thank you very much for your response.

4. PriusInParadise

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The airflow is from top to bottom, as you suspected.
    The genuine Toyota filters are marked with an UP arrow, to match the marking on the filter frame.

5. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you. So the paper filer side should be on top, and the glossy, more plastic-like side on the bottom?

6. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That should read "filter"!