1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange behavior - Playing FLAC on Blackberry via Bluetooth...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by pandeyrajiv, Apr 6, 2012.

1. pandeyrajiv

pandeyrajiv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello All,

Ok, I have a very weird issue to report that I am hoping someone else has had...

I love listing to music from my Blackberry 9300 via Bluetooth in my 2011 Prius III. Thus far I have only played MP3 files but it has become a pain as I prefer uncompressed FLAC files.

Now before investing in a standalone FLAC player like Cowon, I figured why not check if my Blackberry can play FLAC or not...To my complete surprise it does play FLAC and quite well I might add...

Now to the strange behavior -
    When I play the FLAC file standalone on my Blackberry via headphones the music plays just fine.
    HOWEVER, when I try to play the same FLAC file via Bluetooth in my Prius it plays the first 10-15 seconds of the song just fine and then does this speeded up thing where it sounds like a tape running very very fast where it runs to the end of the song in a matter of a second...and then starts to play the next song - which if that happens to be a MP3, it plays just fine or else I get the same speeded issue with a FLAC file...

I have tested this a few times and it ONLY seems to happen when my BB is streaming via Bluetooth and I cannot figure out what I can do to change this behavior. I did increase the device memory setting for the player to 32MB in my BB (which is the max) but nothing changes.

Now I realize I can always connect the BB via AUX input but that will not give me the control to the player like streaming thru the Bluetooth does to skip tracks or FFWD them...

I really hope someone can help me with this weird issue...

Thanks
    Rajiv

2. pandeyrajiv

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I have nailed it down to the issue by experimenting -

The issue has to do with the backlight getting dimmed!

The FLAC file starts playing fine until the moment the screen dims to black...The moment it dims the weird symptom of speedup starts (actually more like garbled) and the moment I touch any button to bring back the screen it becomes proper again and if I keep fiddling with stuff on phone and ensure the screen does not dim - the playback remains stable.

So now my question is - How do I cause the phone to never dim??? I see a setting for backlight dimming to be extended up to 2 mins but there is no setting to turn it off...

Soooo this is more a question of the Blackberry forums...

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It would be interesting to know if it happens w/other BT streaming playback devices (e.g. speakers and headphones).

4. pandeyrajiv

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I have a solution and as I mentioned earlier has nothing to do with BT...It is happening with the BB regardless of whether it is connected via BT or just playing standalone...I somehow never waited for the backlight to dim as I was testing in my hand and so kept fiddling with something or the other to keep things lit...

I simply downloaded the "Leave it On Free" app from Blackberry appsworld and chose the "Now Playing" app to be left on in the app configuration...Now when I play a song the "Now Playing" window comes up and as long as I don't leave that window the BB never dims and the song(s) continue to play :)...

BTW, I noticed a nice feature many complain with other FLAC players that we all use at home like media players...The Blackberry actually does "gapless" playback which is great for live shows as there is no annoying gap...this is a feature missing on virtually all FLAC players out there...Never thought BB which is hardly every known for anything worthwhile would have this piece working - Go figure!