1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange Clicking Sound

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Hannah_Banana, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Hannah_Banana

Hannah_Banana New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need help diagnosing an issue with my 2007 Prius. I left it parked for less than an hour, and when I came back there was a strange clicking noise coming from the engine compartment. The doors would not unlock with the key fob, and I had to unlock the car manually. When I got in the engine immobilizer light was flashing in sync with the clicking noise, which stopped once I put the key in and tried to turn on the car. Unfortunately a couple lights flashed on the dashboard before the car went dead, no lights, no buttons would respond, couldn’t even pop the trunk. I figured the battery was dead and got a kindly stranger to help me jump it, and everything lit up like a Christmas tree. Took it to the shop today and they figured it was a dead battery (last replaced in 2013 go figure), however the battery tested as fine and they couldn’t identify the problem. I figure whatever happened to cause the clicking noise and the immobilizer to go off drained the battery, but since we don’t know what caused that it could theoretically happen again anytime the thing is parked. Any ideas or similar experiences would be appreciated!

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You have a bad 12 volt battery no matter what the shop says. Based on what I see here most shops are not capable of testing a 12 volt battery.
    If you had a voltmeter I could prove it to you. Simple test with car off measure dc voltage of battery then turn on headlights for 5 mins and at the end of 5 minutes measure dc voltage of battery again. All with car off. Should be no voltage drop after the 5 mins. Your battery will fail that test.

Your battery is 6 years old and that's a pretty good run for a Prius battery.

So do not be surprised if you car goes dead again real soon. Whatever you do stop jump starting the car. Countless posts here with people jumping a G2 prius and blowing it up causing big electronic damage. Usually because they know nothing about a G2 prius and try to jump it in the trunk instead of the convenient and safe jump points under the hood and end up crossing the jump leads. if a AAA tow truck shows up and the guy does not know about the front jump points do not let him jump your car. In fact if my battery ever died I would not jump it I would tow it home and replace it. period. Seen so many horror story here.

Also usually the posts mentioning destruction are from AAA jump trunks which make sense. They have huge current capability and the car's 12 volt buss does not appreciate the huge current inrush that a stone dead battery instantaneously draws. You can jump start a prius with a drill battery really.

So go get a new battery asap.

Skibob likes this.